How long will a Roosevelt bull hang out in the same place?

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Some quick background. I live in Oregon and am an adult onset hunter after relocating here from Philadelphia. I have hunted almost entirely in the coast range and have never been terribly successful. And not having grown up hunting elk (or anything else for that matter) I know very little about them.

Yesterday while bear hunting on a small chunk of private property that I’m lucky enough to have access to, I set up an electronic predator caller in the middle of the day and managed to annoy a mature bull elk enough to rouse it from its bed and send it casually walking off. After I finished the unsuccessful calling set, I started investigating the elk further. This guy appears to have spent quite a while living ON this old abandoned logging road. There were 5 or 6 beds of varying ages and huge piles of droppings in each of them. There also happens to be a small run off drainage that flows out on one side of the road down into some thick and nasty. I had seen tracks and droppings in May while spring bear hunting but kind of figured he was just passing through. I’ve hunted this property a couple times a year for the past five years and had never seen ANY sign of elk before this spring.

My question to those with any Roosevelt elk knowledge and experience is this. Is it worth going back there in November during rifle season? He will have had zero legal hunting pressure by then but will he even still be in the area? Is it at all likely that he’ll come back to the solitude he’s enjoying here after the rut? Sorry for the long winded post, but any insight or personal experiences shared would be greatly appreciated!

In November, it’s worth checking. Some bulls summer where they winter, especially before they drop antlers, it just depends if he has what he needs there post rut.

I don’t do much trail camming for anything but lions, but it sounds like a good scenario for one. I wouldn’t put it on the road, but find a trail he walks that isn’t an obvious human path

I would certainly take some initiative right before season to see if he’s making sign in there, without bumping him if he’s there (if you see fresh sign, get out of there and form a plan)

Right now would be the time to get the lay of the land so you aren’t trying to figure it out with a tag in your pocket

OP
ORhunter74

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you, rosiebull. Thats great advice. I think I’ll do exactly that with the trail cams. I’ve been hunting the area over the years so I have a good idea of how to approach this. I just wasn’t sure if I might be wasting my time driving the 2 hours to see if he was around during first coast season. But it sounds worth it to me. Thanks again!

Tmac

WKR
Roosie is spot on ime… Once he is done rutting, he’s looking for an undisturbed spot with feed, water and cover. Sounds like you may have found his sanctuary.

The coast doesn't have a huge variance between seasons like many other regions do, the Elk do move around but they aren't as mobile as Rocky Mountain elk and they don't spook as far. Rocky Mtn elk will change zip codes if you spook them but Roosevelt might just move over a hill. I'd definitely check that spot out again in November. There's no telling where they'll be but I think it's a good idea in the coast range to go where you know elk were.

2-Stix

WKR
I hunt southern every year for bear and blacktail...one spot always holds elk in a small little canyon I hike in and hunt. They stay put most of the year there...I always blow them out on my hunts in there.