How many of you like a really good knife?

Man you guys have posted some great knives. I like to have a couple knives in my pack so I don't have to worry about sharpening one in the field. I always have a lock-blade pocket knife on me too so I actually have three knives that are available. Four if you count the blade on the Leatherman if it's desperately needed!!
1. Pocket knife on me all the time. Either a Gerber Gator or my Buck 55.
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=2882

http://www.gerbergear.com/Hunting/Knives/Gatormate-Knife_06149

2. In the pack: Uncle Henry Schrade lock-blade knife (when they were USA made :() or a Buck 110 Folding hunter
http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?event=product.detail&productID=3044

3. In the pack: Ruana Steelhead - Love this knife. I "purchased it" by trading shed elk antlers for it at the Ruana shop!!
http://www.ruanaknives.com/knivesandhatchetgallery.aspx

Very partial to my ESEE knives. This sheath has a havalon piggyback on it:

2013-01-31_15-44-37_582.jpg

Wish I had kept my Canteenshop Woodcrafter though...
6803999076_61a4e7cdcb_z_d.jpg

Pretty cool to have a Havalon piggyback on there. How did you get that done?

That knife was a group buy for the ESEE-6 (they don't normally come in desert tan), and the guy that ran the GB made the sheaths for all one hundred of them.

godspeedtactical.com

The other clear holder is for a mini bic, although i need to either remove that or the firesteel loop since they're redundant :)

I have an Andrew Jordan Knife Maker Opo/piggy combo on order. These are handmade forged knives. Built with the same process Samurai Swords were forged. His main customers are special forces. Check out the kit test on BlackScout Survival. These knives are bullet proof. He is also producing a knife called the raptor.

Do a search for Andrew Jordan Knives. View attachment 12550

I have an Andrew Jordan Knife Maker Opo/piggy combo on order. These are handmade forged knives. Built with the same process Samurai Swords were forged. His main customers are special forces. Check out the kit test on BlackScout Survival. These knives are bullet proof. He is also producing a knife called the raptor.

Do a search for Andrew Jordan Knives. View attachment 12550

Very nice.

I've really enjoyed my Survive, GSO 4.1. Great knife that holds an edge like crazy. I also have the GSO 6, but I haven't been able to put to use.

I am starting to get the knife bug. I am patiently waiting to see the final specs of the Genesis by LT Wright Knives formerly of Blind Horse Knives. The sneak peaks of the next knife by Battle Horse Knives (the other half of what used to be Blind Horse) look interesting too.

I don't plan on taking my Fixed blade backpacking anymore. unless I ever get a Stove and need to process firewood, I'm replacing it with a Leathermen Skeletool CX paired with a Havalon. a few once's more then a typical folder but I think 2oz for a bunch of functionality is worth it. Plus it has a 154Cm blade to appease me Knife snobbishness...

My favorite custom blade-shape-wise is the dozier below in this picture:
Knives046.jpg

That one is D2 and micarta, and it has held up pretty well.
The top is a Gene Ingram S30V/Desert Ironwood. Beautiful knife, and I much prefer the S30V for corrosion resistance, but not my favorite blade shape for taking animals apart. I have a couple of his other knives that I prefer, but no pictures currently online.

I tend to carry a couple of victorinox parers like this one in the pack, and prefer the little bit of blade flex and the light weight. They don't hold an edge as well, but they take seconds to sharpen.
IMG_0808.jpg

Speaking of Tom Mayo, I believe he was the original designer of this blade, which is produced by buck and sold as the Buck Mayo Kaala. It comes without scales, and works pretty well either scaled or bare.
IMG_7531.jpg

I generally carry one without scales as a neck knife and use it for pretty much everything now.
temporary-4.jpg

Pocket, ZT350TS, pack BHK Nessmuk lately. I carried a Martini Finland hunter of some kind that dad bought me before my first deployment in 2000, that knifed dressed a few dozen deer and seldom needs more than a touch up.

This year, post my first pack hunt, I am re-evaluating my field needs. I don't like jot having a solid blade but I carry a small hatchet or hawk so I can sacrifice a bit. I will always have a solid folder in my pocket but will probably go to a havalon or keep my straight blade on my SuperTool finely tuned.

I don't like a fat handle and a big wide, thick blade. Too unwieldy. On the other end of the spectrum, I don't like a Havalon for anything other than caping either. Gimme a good old Case pocketknife.

Back