How many rings do you count on this mount?

WKR
Just got done shooting a bit this am and walked by this ram mount again. Due to how much brooming he did, the age estimates varied wildly on him. I tried to take clear pics of both sides showing the area that causes the most back and forth. What do you serious ram guys see for growth rings on these pics?

DuckDogDr

WKR
I’m tagging in to learn this as well… based on the materials I’ve been studying and pictures . My wild ass guess is 6 rings?
But I’ve never been sheep hunting , never been on a guided trip…. I did stay at a Holiday inn though.

OP

WKR
Reason I ask is that the taxidermist who has mounted a lot of sheep thought 11-12 years old. The DOW team had him at 8. Granted its beat to heck, but wanted to get others thoughts.

I see 3 growth rings in your top photo, and likely the same in the lower photo...2 definitely, the third is beat up too much to see.

I’m assuming it’s the ram in your avatar. By zooming in on that tiny photo it actually shows the dark annuli fairly clearly. I agree with his official aging of 8ish years old. Pretty beat up horns tho for a ram that age. Very cool trophy. Congrats!

OP

WKR

A guy can see 8 on this easy I think, but was wondering if there weren't some bunched up on the base. In this area the older ones typically broom the tips back further than this one is so 8 may be the correct 8.

kjw

WKR
I get 8 as well. It’s tough going on just pics but it can also be tough even in person. I just got back from Alaska and while I was there I got to go spend a few hours taking with Lew Bradley. I learned a ton about sheep and rings. At the end of the day the only way to know for sure is to cut the horn in half. Age aside that is a great bruiser of a ram!!