How many Ruddy Ducks can you take legally in 1 day in CA?

TheGDog

WKR
How many Ruddy Ducks can you take legally in 1 day in CA?

I'm not finding the answer for this species specifically.

This particular species is not mentioned specifically that I can see.

It says the daily bag limit total is 7. So.. since it doesn't mention them specifically, does that mean a person can take up to 7 in a day?

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
One of the Ruddy's I sniped... it didn't take him out totally... but... I had to wade out into chest-high water to get that sucker... so it was sketchy as hell. So unfortunately I had to concentrate on the journey back to the water's edge at first. As I hold his body, his head and neck looking where we're going. Since it takes a bit to traverse that much distance in water, I tried holding his neck shut. Was making him blink like crazy, and still didn't do it. So when I finally arrived at the shoreline I did the trick @SteveHazard showed me of wapping their heads upon the buttstock of the shotgun nice and fast to jack up their head. Ugh. The lil guy was a toughie! Took several to finally put him down and make him finally stop moving. And wouldn't you know it... that last smack? BOP! And he showers blood all over my face, HaHA!

Attachments

• 20211212_113719.jpg
    20211212_113719.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

Oregon

WKR
third most expensive bird on the menu in upscale restaurants during market hunting days. For a reason.
Kind of. Tastes were way different back then.
People ate kidney pie. Liver was twice a week. During market hunting days, strong meats were more sought after than mild. That's what they were used to.
How many restaurants have liver and onions on the menu today? When I was a kid, they all did.
Canvasbacks were the absolute most sought after duck. I've eaten Canvasbacks from Canada to Chesapeake bay to California. No Cback can come close to a wood duck, teal or pintail IN MY OPINION. Problem lies with I can't find anyone to dispute this.
Todays palates are different.

Warmsy

WKR
Grab the head at the base of the skull and give a quick whipping motion. Like you're cracking a really short whip. Instant death. Feels like cracking knuckles kind of. Poor duck...

Rob5589

WKR
You ever actually eaten coot? Not half bad, and they don’t count against your duck limit!
Yep. Years ago we had a blind NW of Sac refuge that was covered in them. The land owner said to hammer them and that they tasted alright being that they were in the rice 100% of the time. We blasted a couple dozen, breasted them, soaked in milk, lighted breaded and fried. They were pretty damn good. Stronger in flavor but, far better than a spoonie or buffy.

JShane

FNG
Kind of. Tastes were way different back then.
People ate kidney pie. Liver was twice a week. During market hunting days, strong meats were more sought after than mild. That's what they were used to.
How many restaurants have liver and onions on the menu today? When I was a kid, they all did.
Canvasbacks were the absolute most sought after duck. I've eaten Canvasbacks from Canada to Chesapeake bay to California. No Cback can come close to a wood duck, teal or pintail IN MY OPINION. Problem lies with I can't find anyone to dispute this.
Todays palates are different.
A lot to agree with here. Its very likely that ruddy's on one coast taste different than their cousins on the other coast. And everything in between. Palates have definitely changed I've only had one Can so my test volume is thin on that discussion. Ruddy's come regular down here and I've fortunately found them to be on the upper end of the table fare spectrum. They are right in there with wood ducks and whistling ducks for me. It could be simply my palate for that matter.

Now having said all that, I do dry age my ducks 5 days before I pluck them and then breast them out and save the legs. That could change the equation as well. In a nut shell just a ton of variables play into it and I think that just, well, adds to the flavor of this wonderful passion of waterfowl hunting. Hearing what others of the waterfowl community prize at the table is a value. Especially if you travel to hunt. I enjoyed your insight.

You ever actually eaten coot? Not half bad, and they don’t count against your duck limit!
Not recently but yes. I did not care for it. The bufflehead my dumb friend told me to shoot last year was horrible and I knew it was going to be the second I grabbed it cause it reeked of fish smell just holding it.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Didn't want to bother with plucking so just opened them up and deboned their breast halves.

Got em soaking in water with Salt and Sriracha.

I do dry age my ducks 5 days before I pluck them and then breast them out and save the legs.
Plz forgive my ignorance here, "dry age"? How does a person "dry age" them? Specifially do I need to make sure to gut them first before having them wait? Does this mean there's also a "wet age" method as well?

Another question, do I need to be concerned with making sure to remove the entrails as soon as I can?

I'm asking because, for example, been real busy with work and other events during the week after-work like the boys scouting stuff, and helping him with homework, so the ducks were in the cooler until from Sun. to Wed. I was leary about waiting that long, but it's been unusually cold here lately so I figured that would have bought me more time so I can delay processing them. They were in the meat bags in the cooler and were not gutted yet.

KurtR

WKR
In Europe they hang them by the feet for like 5 days not something I do. I have eaten them all but coots( not that desperate) haven’t found one I don’t like yet. Northern mallards skin on in the cast iron is tough to beat. I also like liver and onions. Waterfowl is my favorite game meat.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
In Europe they hang them by the feet for like 5 days not something I do. I have eaten them all but coots( not that desperate) haven’t found one I don’t like yet. Northern mallards skin on in the cast iron is tough to beat. I also like liver and onions. Waterfowl is my favorite game meat.
OK, so when they hang them... do they first gut them? Or no.

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
Took 'em out of the salt+Sriracha soak. In pan thin layer of Avocado Oil plus fresh-pressed Garlic. Lil bit of Mesquite rub added to the oil, lil Accent, lil Lawry's and Chives. Turned out pretty good!