How much better is K4 than Kuiu?

Red33

FNG
Sorry for the long post, I'm just hoping to pare down the questions I've read in similar threads... I'm in my mid 50s and hunt archery elk and deer as a resident in north Idaho. I've been using the Kuiu Pro 3600/5500LT for the past few seasons; 3600 for 80% of my hunting (from basecamp/ daytrips) and the 5500 for the 20% of my pack-in hunts. I have a pack on my back over 150 days per year between hunting and training. I love the layout of the bags and love the weight and fit of the Kuiu for most of my basecamp hunting and fast/light trips, but whenever I put over 30 lbs in the pack it is uncomfortable. Over 40lbs is not fun at all. Training hikes and pack in/out with weight are not fun, but not because of the exercise. I feel like the pack is shifting continually and just doesn't seem to carry weight well. Here is my question for those of you who have had both: Is the K4 really that much better? I know all heavy packs suck, but since 80% of my hunting is light, would I really get a huge benefit upgrading to the slightly heavier K4 3600/ 5000? In my 30s and 40s, and especially in my 20s right out of the USMC, I would just suck it up, but things tend to get a little more silly in my mid 50s, so I am looking for the best of both worlds. I'm really interested in opinions from those who have had both Kuiu and K4 (SG doesn't fit me well and I didn't like the Kifaru I tried, and I'm not interested in getting a K3). I am aware of Exo's return policy, I'm just trying to avoid the debate with my wife (aka "Knuckles") before I go down that road. Your thoughts?

*zap*

WKR
Use what fits your body best but also be sure that your fitting each pack frame the correct way so you get an honest assessment. Center of the belt should be on your illiac crest. Follow the manufacturers fit instructions for the rest.....I noticed SG wants the shoulder straps tight around the back of the shoulder and Kifaru wants a space behind the shoulder so.....I think you need to be aware of what the manufacturer says about fit.

hunting1

WKR
I will give my opinion and you know what they say. I have the Kuiu 2nd version or current and have had the K3 and now the K4. The Kuiu is very light and has the best layout in their bags IMHO. Up to 80-lbs love carrying the Kuiu. Now with the K4 love the belt, frame, and Nalgine pockets but the bag does not have much for organization. I love the made in the USA as well.

I have about all the big name packs and still carry my Kuiu so will leave it at that. Both are great IMHO.

etapia

Lil-Rokslider
I mainly day hunt but do a lot of hiking throughout a hunt. I sold my Kuiu Pro setup and just ordered the Exo yesterday. I liked the Kuiu empty weight and did not mind the fit. I just didn’t love it with loads. I can let you know my thoughts compared to the Exo once I get my hands on it if that helps.

OP
R

Red33

FNG
I mainly day hunt but do a lot of hiking throughout a hunt. I sold my Kuiu Pro setup and just ordered the Exo yesterday. I liked the Kuiu empty weight and did not mind the fit. I just didn’t love it with loads. I can let you know my thoughts compared to the Exo once I get my hands on it if that helps.
Yes, I would love to hear your assessment once you have a few trips in it. Not ready to sell my Kuiu set just yet since it fits so well when its light, but I'm thinking about it...

The Kuiu bag will be better layout for organization with the multiple pockets. That’s where it shines. You won’t find that in any other pack. If you can’t live without infinite organization stop looking.

The Kuiu hip belt and harness are very comfortable but do shift more than I care for, even with a light load. IMO the V4 overwhelmingly shines here. It’s stiff but still flexes and moves with your body without the bag shifting off the frame.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I packed an older Kuiu pack one season and it was fine, nothing special other than lightweight for me. I didn't pack anything besides camp out that year. I'm a big Kuiu fan since they were producing stuff in Canada, so wanted to like their packs, but I got a K3 2 seasons ago and it was night and day difference for me. A buddy got a K4 this year and he's in love with it. I had 2 buddies with Kuiu packs that failed in one way or another, one catastrophic failure. YMMV, but I'd get the K4 and never look back. Fantastic company to work with too.

OP
R

Red33

FNG
Thank you all for the feedback. Placing order....

87TT

WKR
You won't regret it. I sold my Kuiu and bought a second K2 with a 2000 bag. I wear my K2 3500 EVERY day training while walking my energetic Lab. 3 1/2 miles a day with 48 lbs. in it. No issues. Hear the K4 is even better. And I have packed out several elk solo with it.

I have had both as well. Ran the first Kuiu gen Icon pro line and then swapped the belt and shoulder for the newest gen. The second gen belt was better than the first, but not as good as the k3 or k4. I had a k3 and then now have a K4. The bag organization is just a little less on the K4. Not much to me (others may care about that more than I do), but the weight and heavy load carrying is much better for my body type anyway. My brother in law and father still run the kuiu though and enjoy them. I have heard sizing up on a larger belt (if possible) with the kuiu makes it fit more comfortable. I am training with the K4 and crib panel and it's been going well. I'm still dialing it, but I enjoy it so far. Let us know what you think when you get the K4 to compare.

30 or 40 pounds should feel like air in a well fitted pack. If I had a pack and 30 or 40 pounds sucked, no matter what pack I had, I'd try something else.

I have had the Kuiu, now have the SG X-Curve, Kifaru Tactical, and K4, and for carrying heavy loads the Kifaru is the most comfortable no doubt. It fits me tight, makes me feel less like an in-shape person carrying a load but more like an obese person just living my life.

I've always liked the pocket/bag layout of kuiu. It was the first of my higher end packs and I'm not sure I knew how to fit/wear it. I didn't like it much, and it didn't feel very comfortable so I sold it. Picked up a couple kifaru/ exo and I'm currently using the k4 with 2 kifaru in my garage that I won't give up.

I think body type/fit plays a big role in comfort and if it works for you, run it.

Pick a bag that has a layout that looks like it will function for you and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Kuiu bags are awesome. If you are a small/average size guy choose the one that fits and feels best. If you are big/ husky Kuiu is a no go. Above a 37-38" waisted is a hard no. EXO has a belt system for everyone!!!

Last edited:

tracker12

WKR
I have a US Army Molle pack frame and shoulder straps setup for hauling meat loads. Have about $50 in it and it carrys weight better than my KUIU 3200 did. I like the KUIU organization and feel when not under load but thats where it ends. I now have an EXO K3 3600/2000 and am very happy.

I know Kuiu will replace the frame. I sold my first one that had crack without realizing it and the buyer contacted kuiu and they took care of it.

I have both a KUIU PRO LT and K4. The KUIU carries weight 90% as good as the K4. The difference isn’t really noticeable until 60+ pounds for me, which is impressive considering it weighs like 1.5# less and considering it can be nearly half the cost when on sale, it’s a very solid choice. Can’t go wrong with either.