How much is too much snow?

idahomuleys

Lil-Rokslider
Its mid October or later, your half ton 4x4 truck is parked at 8000 feet and you backpacked in 5 miles on a mule deer hunt. You are on a dirt road, not gravel, 20 miles away from a maintained road that you know for sure other camps are still on. How much snow does it take for you to get nervous enough to hike out to move your truck to lower elevation? You have 1 set of chains for 2 tires and a shovel.
Let's hear some real answers and not internet macho man stuff.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
Without dedicated winter tires and assuming decent AT tires? No pre Existing snow? I’m going to say 5-6 inches. First snow of the year will melt off the roads quickly and then it’s mud season. If you have some snow already, I’d air down the tires to 20 psi and prepared to go as low as 12 if the road isn’t too rough. Still though, 10 inches without another vehicle with you and winches on both would be ballsy.

But, I’ll reinforce the notion that you should come equipped to adjust the PSI in your (10 ply) tires: it’s the single greatest performance asset you have in snow, mud and rock, regardless of engine, lockers, gear ratio etc.

49ereric

WKR
If the weather won’t clear and dry out get out unless you have locked differentials front and rear and the ability to air down the tires and a 12V compressor to air up.

CorbLand

WKR
I ******* hate snowy roads so I am moving mine at around 6 inches. There is one road here that is flat, minimal turns and pretty wide. I might would push that road a little deeper as it’s pretty safe.

packer58

WKR
I left here last year when they were calling for 2-4” more. I was alone other than one camp in a 2 mile stretch.

View attachment 572839
Your post brings up a good point. before committing to 5 miles deep at altitude a fella should be looking at the weather forecast for that area. If it's dumped up to 6" and then clearing for the rest of the hunt you could probably stay and not sweat it so much, but much more than that would be a "get out" for me. 5 miles with a full camp on your back in anything over 6" would not be a fun time IMO.

If I’m at 8k in mid October and I have an iffy forecast, my truck is chained all the way around before I even leave it. The depth of snow isn’t really as important as the composition of it. Fluffy or wet doesn’t bother me. It’s when you get a crust and the bottom turns to sugar, that’s when things get dicey, even with chains. 6 or 8 inches of packed with rain on top isn’t good either. I guess that’s a long winded way to say 12”-15”.

Some issues to consider. Dry snow can buy you a little time. Wet snow can ruin your life with 5-6 inches. Measure your differential or axle clearance. Pushing snow can get ugly.

Another consideration is how much snow is normal per event. How much do you like to gamble?

Uphill or downhill? I have a spot that I can drive into but need chains on all four and 4 wheel drive to grind my way out of. Downhill I just have to sweat the corners. If you are the only one and downhill, you have a chance. If it's packed from traffic, you are in big trouble. If you are pushing snow with the axel or bumper, I would be moving when you can

packer58

WKR
If I’m at 8k in mid October and I have an iffy forecast, my truck is chained all the way around before I even leave it. The depth of snow isn’t really as important as the composition of it. Fluffy or wet doesn’t bother me. It’s when you get a crust and the bottom turns to sugar, that’s when things get dicey, even with chains. 6 or 8 inches of packed with rain on top isn’t good either. I guess that’s a long winded way to say 12”-15”.
I couldn't agree more that type of snow can and usually does make a big difference for vehicle travel, but hiking out 5 miles with a full pack in those conditions "12-15" would be a real bitch ......

I couldn't agree more that type of snow can and usually does make a big difference for vehicle travel, but hiking out 5 miles with a full pack in those conditions "12-15" would be a real bitch ......
True that! I’d be more worried about getting my fat ass back to the truck than not being able to drive out!

2ski

WKR
Honestly if you have to ask err on the side of caution and move it. Assuming you're asking because you don't have a lot of experience on snow in the mountains. It's best be safe and not go by what everyone else says. I could take my old explorer sport out in over a foot easy. Downhill just shove it in 4low of need be. I've been in some hairy situations with it too. In my CRV I get nervous at more than 4/6 inches. I've high centered it on stuff that surprised me I high centered it. Had to have a Subaru pull me out. Literally had to get 10 feet to gravel. Kid in the suby had no experience with that sort of thing. His tires would start to spin a little on the gravel and he was ready to stop.

So my rules don't really apply to you probably.

To walk out, 3 inches. To drive out, no more than 8", so long as it's the right kind of snow. 12" can get dicey in a hurry in the wrong kind of snow, but with chains (likely on the back) you'd probably be okay.

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
First, get a weather forecast on my Garmin In-reach (assuming no cell service). 6-10” snow with nothing else in the forecast for next 3-5 days, stay put and enjoy hunting in the new snow, animals should be on the move. >10” forecast or more snow on the way, move camp to lower ground.

Also depends on the temperature (consistency of snow) and wind (snow drifts).

Not all snow is created equal, and early season snow is the easiest to drive in. As long as the road isn't dangerous and off camber my current Tacoma will be fine pushing powder up to the headlights. Close to 2' or maybe more in those conditions? Probably want to move the Forester at 8", less if it's steep or rutted much.
Aired down on the 37s or with chains a single layer of new snow won't bother the truck much. Add the winch and some shovels and snow isn't an issue until late December. It's my cat hunting truck too so it's been tested in every kind of snow October-June. Drifted or heavily crusted snow later in the year is a totally different story. It doesn't take much of that kind of snow to stop a truck if you're unable to stay on top.
A more stock truck with chains can generally handle a foot or so. Heavier trucks will have a harder time the more off camber the road is.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

I've spent a lot of time driving in deep snow in the mountains throughout my life. The answer all depends on how much experience someone has driving in these conditions but when it gets to a foot deep and more snow is coming, I would think about moving it. I would also 100% have chains on all 4 tires in this scenario, if at all possible, with cost not being an acceptable reason not to. Getting stuck or slipping off the mountain will cost you a hell of a lot more than buying a second set of chains beforehand.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I always had all four chained up, but I've pushed snow with the bumper coming out many times over the years during rifle seasons......especially back in the 80's. I'd be more concerned with snow depth for hiking than driving......unless you don't have much deep snow driving experience. But the thing with those high elevation storms is......they can dump a ridiculous amount of snow in a short period of time. What starts out at 6" could be 15+ inches by the time you even get to the truck.

In 1984 we got a ton of snow on Monday night after opening weekend. S&R came through on snowmobiles to help take people out. We were set up and prepared to stay for three weeks encompassing two different seasons, so we stayed. We had snow up to my crotch and I wear 38" inseam pants.

hunterjmj

WKR
Last year we stayed longer than we should have. It snowed everyday with wind. We got a bull down on Wednesday and packed it out Thursday. We broke camp early Friday and spent 12 hours to go 35 miles. There was probably 10" of snowfall but it drifted 4-5' every couple hundred yards. I was already chained up but lots of shoveling got us out. That was a long ass day. It's doable but it really really sucked. We also had 4 guys shoveling. Looking back we should have broke camp Tuesday but my buddy got a nice 6 point so in the end it was worth it.

4 Chains and some common sense will get you out of most situations.

Anything deeper than 16" is going to give you troubles in a truck IMHO.

wytx

WKR
Depends on how much drifted on the access road down lower.
Driven in with 16 inches of our dry snow no issues, driving out after wind and drifting made it sketchy at best.
By Oct it could be piling up for winter and may not melt at all til June.

All that deadfall will be covered by snow on that hike out, could be a real uncomfortable hike out.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
As has been said a few times, snow compensation is a big part of things.

Last winter we had an early snowfall that packed down. It was easy to drive on top until you spun your tires and broke through, then you were high centered. It only took a little snow on top to make it difficult to avoid spinning.