How much is too much snow?

Similar question has been on my mind. Planning to hunt about 2,000 ft higher in elevation this year for deer/elk in late Oct. than normal. Truck parked probably at 6500-6800 ft, 3-4 miles from the truck and a good 15 miles to a maintained road. The responses have been very informative so far.

Yarak

WKR
We dont see snow too often in the Deep South and when we do it doesnt last long
What usually happens is it rains and then freezes so the roads have a good ice sheet on them then it snows on top of that
People find out real quick that 4wheel drive doesnt mean 4wheel stop

We dont see snow too often in the Deep South and when we do it doesnt last long
What usually happens is it rains and then freezes so the roads have a good ice sheet on them then it snows on top of that
People find out real quick that 4wheel drive doesnt mean 4wheel stop
4WD in that scenario generally leads to more problems due to overconfidence and complacency thinking you're good to go since you're not 2WD. Especially on the highway/freeway. Ice is it's own beast.

Fatcamp

WKR
4WD in that scenario generally leads to more problems due to overconfidence and complacency thinking you're good to go since you're not 2WD. Especially on the highway/freeway. Ice is it's own beast.

A front wheel drive car with real snow tires is almost unbelievable in its ability to navigate smooth icy roads. I miss our Camry with Bridgestone Blizzaks.

TaperPin

WKR
Chains are a must - bigger the better and enough for all four - if I was riding with you I’d drive my own truck when you said one pair of chains.

Wet snow that’s followed by cold temps will ruin your trip with only two skinny chains. Mud chains are even better.

How can anyone judge how many inches of snow are coming? I’ve seen 6”, 12”, 24” on the ground with the exact same forecast. Colorado is semi famous for deep snows stranding hunters.

20,000 lb winch, four snow/mud chains, two dozen bungee cords, two 2,000 lb come alongs, 50 ft of HEAVY chain, four shackles, two heavy duty looped tow straps, two shovels (one long and one short), a pick-adz, double bitted axe, and some common sense goes a long ways. Those are the things my outfitter carries in Arizona, on winter hunts.

Wrench

WKR
Idaho almost got me a couple years ago. It snowed about 6" but drifted bad. I had all 4 chained up to go down hill and there was some serious pucker in a few spots.

Last year we had 3 feet dump during elk season. I parked low and took my atv on tracks up. I had 7 miles on snow shoes before I pulled the trigger.

Poser

WKR
20,000 lb winch, four snow/mud chains, two dozen bungee cords, two 2,000 lb come alongs, 50 ft of HEAVY chain, four shackles, two heavy duty looped tow straps, two shovels (one long and one short), a pick-adz, double bitted axe, and some common sense goes a long ways. Those are the things my outfitter carries in Arizona, on winter hunts.

20,000 lbs winch? What is he driving? A tow truck?

Also, what are the heavy chains for? I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anyone recommend using chains for recovery purposes. If they fail under tension, your looking at catastrophic damage.

S.Clancy

WKR
A. I would never have chains for only 2 tires. If I bring chains, it is 4 chains.

B. It depends on what the road is like. Clay-base, have to pull a big hill or a series of hills to get out, I would prob leave once it got to 6". Mostly downhill, dirt with not tons of clay, I'd stay till at least a foot. After a foot of snow the deer are prob heading lower anyway

Wrench

WKR
20,000 lbs winch? What is he driving? A tow truck?

Also, what are the heavy chains for? I don’t believe I’ve ever seen anyone recommend using chains for recovery purposes. If they fail under tension, your looking at catastrophic damage.
They are nice for dead ending back to the truck and setting blocks....no stretch. Pulling with a chain is great for the mechanics shop.

I have a re12 winch that stalls at 24k lbs. It's not fast....but it will pull the axle out from under a truck before it stalls.