How much weight on your stabilizers?

paxamus

WKR
How much weight are y’all running on your front and back bar? Just curious- I tried to lighten mine but my pin started dancing way too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dancing pin isn't bad if it's in a small area.

I'm fine with my pin shaking around like a crack baby if it's in a small area.

Most people use weight to fix form or draw length issues. The weight is there to hold the bow steady at the shot, not to make it hold steady so you can shoot it.

I think I'm around 5-6 ounces on a 10" front, and 8 on 8" or so on back for a WT setup. A western hunting bow I either use nothing or a few ounces added on the lower rear mount.

Reactions: Zac

big44a4

WKR
Currently…

Hunting bow: 6oz and 3oz
Target bow: 20oz and 24oz

I tinker with my bars quite often and leave it where it groups best.

JStol5

WKR
I’ve heard Joel Turner talk about how tons of weights on bows are a way to compensate for target panic- just a thought.

I used to lug around a ton of weight and liked it but I switched to a quivalizer and 5oz screwed into the back of my riser. I really prefer weight-wise it over a 12 inch with 4oz on front, and a 10 out back with 8 oz. and a tightspot. And I’m more accurate.

GoHunt, Podium Archer, and Kifaru have good videos about setting up bars.

15in Bee Stinger counterslide, mounted in the bottom stab position(back bar), 2oz in front 4 oz in back.
Use the least amount of weight needed to get steady, everyone is different, play around with different amounts of weight.
You will appreciate keeping the bow lighter when carrying it.

Tater1973

WKR
I learned to run a ratio of 1:3 front to back with weight. I use 2oz out front and 6oz out the back. Adding a front/back bar has greatly improved my shooting but everyone is different. I would recommend borrowing a set up to try or just start experimenting to see if stabilization helps.

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard Joel Turner talk about how tons of weights on bows are a way to compensate for target panic- just a thought.

I used to lug around a ton of weight and liked it but I switched to a quivalizer and 5oz screwed into the back of my riser. I really prefer weight-wise it over a 12 inch with 4oz on front, and a 10 out back with 8 oz. and a tightspot. And I’m more accurate.

GoHunt, Podium Archer, and Kifaru have good videos about setting up bars.
I tried up to six ounces out front on a 15” AAE Mountain Series bar and didn’t get much improvement over 3oz. I have never really used a back bar but I may try. For now the 3oz is what I’m shooting. As far as target panic I can’t really say personally. I’ve been through it all so YMMV.

nphunter

WKR
A lot of times dancing pins have more to do with draw length than anything else, shortening it or lengthening it 1/4" in either direction you should be able to find a spot where you can hold the steadiest. I don't have an issue with pin float, I also shoot with a surprise release and am comfortable with my pin floating around. A fast pin float really isn't a bad thing, your mind is constantly recentering it so the faster the float the more often it's on the mark.

I don't use stabilizers unless I'm shooting 60+ for long periods, I don't hunt with them either most of the time. I find I can shoot better for longer without the extra weight on the bow. I've noticed that I fatigue much more quickly with the weight and it's a wash on whether it does more harm than good. I pack a bow for hundreds of miles each year around the mountains and shoot it for a few seconds each year. My average shot distance is about 45 yards so for me it doesn't make sense to carry the extra weight for the little reward.

OP
P

paxamus

WKR
Thanks everyone- I was just trying to get a consensus on what folks are using. I have run all kinds of setups- I was experimenting with taking most of the weight off to see if it was still helpful to me - it definitely is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I have 4 on the front because the threads are so tight I can’t get it back out. So always 4 for me.

mww982

WKR
My previous bow was 70lbs and set at 90% let off. This year I went to a 65lb bow and have the let off set at 80%, I am way more consistent with this set up. My favorite bow and one I wish I never sold was 65lbs and 80% as well, that seems to be my sweet spot.