How to set out minerals and a drinker for mule deer?

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Ways to set up a drinker to benefit mulies during a shit hot summer after zero rain? Do minerals help them weather drought? Not gonna bait and shoot them, just like seeing them survive.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
Sounds like pure dedication to me.

You gonna line it or anything - a deer jumping in the pool might punch a hole in the bottom.

Are there any livestock in the area? If so they will drink all your hard work.
Do something smaller that will have less evaporative loss. A small stock trough from a farm store. Or a 5 gallon bucket.
Interesting project. Keeps us updated.

LJ Buck

WKR
Please deposit a huge plastic swimming pool in the national forest and bait some deer. Or try hunting

Rich M

WKR
LOL! Always someone willing to piss in the cornflakes! Even if it would benefit a ton of animals.

The guys who demand that everyone always take the hard way - maybe they should tie their shoe laces together and hunt that way - it'll make it more challenging for you.

Water is a big thing - OP could always find and open up a seep.

cjdewese

WKR
LOL! Always someone willing to piss in the cornflakes! Even if it would benefit a ton of animals.

The guys who demand that everyone always take the hard way - maybe they should tie their shoe laces together and hunt that way - it'll make it more challenging for you.

Water is a big thing - OP could always find and open up a seep.
This is a good tip. They have to be getting water somewhere, I have seen deer drinking from tiny seeps that hardly anyone would know about.

Minerals is a whole different story. Would need to check regulations as to the legality of it. From what I understand it's illegal in most places.

BBob

WKR
We found a plastic lined dug out mini tank once fed by a buried hose. The hose led 50 yards or so uphill to a disguised/hidden bucket/funnel just off the side of the road. I never saw anyone come by and fill it but it had water. I've known people to pack water into seeps/holes to keep them from drying up until rain came. I knew a guy years ago that hired a water truck to go out and fill a drinker in NM during a bad drought. He put a tree stand up over it during elk season. Dream it, someones done it.

OP
7raptor

7raptor

Lil-Rokslider
Are there any livestock in the area? If so they will drink all your hard work.
Do something smaller that will have less evaporative loss. A small stock trough from a farm store. Or a 5 gallon bucket.
Interesting project. Keeps us updated.
No livestock. Arid southwest.