Howa 1500 Build... or Overbuild?

BSR

FNG
Good morning to all,

First time post, long time reader. Lots of wisdom on here and much appreciated.

I'll get right to it, I am looking to piece together a short barreled 6.5 CM using a Howa 1500 barreled action that I have. The barreled action came off a "Hogue Compact" model, its a 16.5" heavy barrel, extra on the heavy. I manage a ranch for a living and this rifle will be with me 24/7. I purchased my first suppressor a few months ago, and in anticipation of that later on this year, starting toying with the idea of a shorter barreled rifle to take the place of my current 7mm-08 that has been my go to for many years.

My dilemma is the following: This rifle will be with me all of the time, and is shot regularly. Because it is with me all of the time, it will take a lot of abuse in the form of dust/bumping in the truck/packed through the brush/etc. The 7mm-8 was a budget rifle, and did its job well, and I was never concerned about the bumps and bruises because it was a budget rifle. This new Howa build was originally going to be the same, just a shorter barrel to allow for the suppressor without being too cumbersome to get out of a truck window in a hurry. On the other end of the spectrum, it is the rifle that I shoot the most, and rely on every day, so part of me wants to upgrade every aspect of it and use it as was originally intended. Carbon stock, new trigger, fluting to reduce some weight, cerakote, etc.

I guess bottom line question is, am I putting lipstick on a pig? Im looking at putting $1500+ into a $500 barreled action. I need the rifle to hold one minute to 500 yards, this is not a 1000 yard build, or 1/2 MOA target rifle. Most shots under 200 yards, which is why I was good with a 6.5CM and the short barrel. Im not hand loading for it, just quality hunting ammo. Coyotes/Hogs/Whitetail

Just looking for some honest feedback before I start ordering parts or sending out the barreled action for upgrades.

Thanks a bunch

Wapiti1

WKR
Does it shoot acceptably now?

If it does, then go forth with your plan. There is nothing wrong with building a Howa based rifle. Solid actions, if a tad heavy. They have one weak point that I have seen. The bolt stop screw is tiny, and can shear if you are an aggressive bolt worker. Easy to fix, but slightly annoying. Otherwise, I like the triggers, and they usually shoot great out of the box.

Look around this sight. You'll see a dozen or more Tikka builds. That route is pretty much the same as a Howa build, IMO. Solid, well made, low cost action that you can do whatever with. I've built several Howa or Weatherby Vanguard based rifles as customs and they always turn out great. Easy action to work with.

Understand that it will only be worth something to you when you are done. No custom is worth the cost to build it when you sell it. That's life regardless of which action you use, except maybe a titanium action, G33/40 or Brevex Mauser, but those are rare/specialized.

Jeremy

I’ll say this, I have a Howa 1500 that I bought a few years ago as I was getting into rifle hunting. In the stock it had with my handloads It was a legit 3/4-1 inch gun all day every day. I dropped it in a Bell and Carlson last year and it went to a 1/4-1/2 inch gun out to 800 (as far as I’ve shot it)

They’re not a defiance, lone peak, or even a tikka. But they’re cheap and shoot well. I keep mine around anytime someone needs to borrow a rifle or I just want one to beat up on.

If you’ve got one I’d have no issues in putting money into it to build it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BSR

FNG
Does it shoot acceptably now?

If it does, then go forth with your plan. There is nothing wrong with building a Howa based rifle. Solid actions, if a tad heavy. They have one weak point that I have seen. The bolt stop screw is tiny, and can shear if you are an aggressive bolt worker. Easy to fix, but slightly annoying. Otherwise, I like the triggers, and they usually shoot great out of the box.

Look around this sight. You'll see a dozen or more Tikka builds. That route is pretty much the same as a Howa build, IMO. Solid, well made, low cost action that you can do whatever with. I've built several Howa or Weatherby Vanguard based rifles as customs and they always turn out great. Easy action to work with.

Understand that it will only be worth something to you when you are done. No custom is worth the cost to build it when you sell it. That's life regardless of which action you use, except maybe a titanium action, G33/40 or Brevex Mauser, but those are rare/specialized.

Jeremy
Jeremy,

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first Howa, so I am learning more about it. I will keep an eye on the bolt stop screw, I definitely would have missed that until I sheared it. I like the barrel/action configuration for my intended use. I will say, a tad heavy I definitely agree with. I wasn't overly concerned with weight but now that I have the barreled action I am trying to shave some where I can.

I completely agree with your statement that it will only be worth something to me when I am done. And I think that is enough for me to move forward with my intended plans. It will get used daily, and I will enjoy putting it together.

I am not crazy about the HACT trigger, so that is already off, likely will put a Timney in its place.

The stock, I originally planned on a B&C or HS, but now I am looking at some full carbon options, one in particular would be the Stocky's VG2. I like the design, and the weight savings.

Again on the weight, Id like to do some heavy fluting on the barrel and bolt to try and save some there. Short barrel doesn't leave a lot to be fluted though.

The little bit that I shot it before I took the stock and trigger off, it shot a little over a minute out to 200. I think once I bed it in the right stock and swap the trigger I should be within a minute or less if I do my part. Heres to hoping...

Thanks again for the feedback

Clayton

OP
B

BSR

FNG
I’ll say this, I have a Howa 1500 that I bought a few years ago as I was getting into rifle hunting. In the stock it had with my handloads It was a legit 3/4-1 inch gun all day every day. I dropped it in a Bell and Carlson last year and it went to a 1/4-1/2 inch gun out to 800 (as far as I’ve shot it)

They’re not a defiance, lone peak, or even a tikka. But they’re cheap and shoot well. I keep mine around anytime someone needs to borrow a rifle or I just want one to beat up on.

If you’ve got one I’d have no issues in putting money into it to build it up.

Bruce,

Thanks for the comments, I was looking at a B&C for this rifle as well. Glad to know that helped you out. I have been happy with their products on a couple other rifles. I may end up going with a full carbon from Stocky's to try something new, and to save a half a pound or so. As I mentioned above, weight is becoming more prevalent when I stripped it down and started adding things back up.

Much appreciated.

Clayton

Bruce,

Thanks for the comments, I was looking at a B&C for this rifle as well. Glad to know that helped you out. I have been happy with their products on a couple other rifles. I may end up going with a full carbon from Stocky's to try something new, and to save a half a pound or so. As I mentioned above, weight is becoming more prevalent when I stripped it down and started adding things back up.

Much appreciated.

Clayton

I would’ve gone with the stockys if they had been making them when I bought mine. Much lighter and a much more ergonomic design.

Sadler

WKR
In regards to fluting, check out long rifles inc. They have a couple patterns that remove a ton of material and really lighten up steel barrels. For example, they used their murder hornet pattern on a 29" taperless steel barrel with a diameter of 1.250 that weighed 9lbs 10oz as a blank and the finished weight was 3lbs 7oz after fluting and chambering. Pretty incredible.

OP
B

BSR

FNG
In regards to fluting, check out long rifles inc. They have a couple patterns that remove a ton of material and really lighten up steel barrels. For example, they used their murder hornet pattern on a 29" taperless steel barrel with a diameter of 1.250 that weighed 9lbs 10oz as a blank and the finished weight was 3lbs 7oz after fluting and chambering. Pretty incredible.
Sadler,

Thanks for the response. I did look at LRI, and was impressed with their fluting options. Pretty impressive weight reduction for sure. I looked at pattern X for mine, but ultimately decided with a 16” barrel that a heavy/tight spiral would do enough for me and fit my budget. If I can get 12-14 oz off of bolt/barrel, and pair it with a carbon stock, I think I should be within the range I am after.

I’m about to pull the trigger on the Stocky’s VG2, which will be my first venture into full carbon stocks. I spoke with them and they are about 2 months out, which is fine for me. Any thoughts on that stock? It’s at the top of my price point for this particular build but I think I can justify it with the quality and weight.

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be following this, a Howa is definitely worth improving.
I've been hauling my suppressed Howa Mini .223 around farm and forestry blocks on a daily basis for 3 years and its still my favourite rifle, proving reliable, rugged and accurate.

I've long considered having the action sides slabbed similar to the Howa Alpine, that combing with some bolt fluting would drop a decent amount of weight.

OP
B

BSR

FNG
I'll be following this, a Howa is definitely worth improving.
I've been hauling my suppressed Howa Mini .223 around farm and forestry blocks on a daily basis for 3 years and its still my favourite rifle, proving reliable, rugged and accurate.

I've long considered having the action sides slabbed similar to the Howa Alpine, that combing with some bolt fluting would drop a decent amount of weight.
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear you have had good results with your Howa and it has held up to daily use. This one is going to be tested daily as well.

I agree the action itself could shed some steel if you really wanted to get the weight down. I sent barreled action out earlier this week, so committed to this one now. Interested to see how much the tight/heavy spiral fluting is going to shed on the 16” heavy barrel. TBD

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
I love my vanguard which is a howa1500. Smooth action, shoots great and when I bought it about 8 years ago it was $400 so not a bad starting place. I ordered the stocky vg2, it’s on backorder with no eta but with be a massive difference over the Boyd’s stock it’s in now. There are a handful of good barrel options and parts are getting easier to get. I say do it

OP
B

BSR

FNG
I love my vanguard which is a howa1500. Smooth action, shoots great and when I bought it about 8 years ago it was $400 so not a bad starting place. I ordered the stocky vg2, it’s on backorder with no eta but with be a massive difference over the Boyd’s stock it’s in now. There are a handful of good barrel options and parts are getting easier to get. I say do it
RK,

Thanks for the good feedback. I was also able to get in to my Howa pretty cheap at around $500. The gun this one will be replacing also sits in a Boyd’s stock that I glass bedded and has done its job well. The Howa I wanted to try something new, so I also went with a stockys vg2, and am waiting on the back order. Muzzle device is still 5-7 months out so I’m in no rush. It should be a nice rig when it all comes together

Zappaman

WKR
Truck gun... I'd get the lightest stock I can (sometimes that IS the cheap, plastic thing they ship with like my Savages of late). If they shoot and are easy to handle- you're good. And you don't get upset when you scratch it up some ;)

tdhanses

WKR
I have a howa 1500 white lightning that started life as a 223, had it rebarreled to a 6.5cm with a carbonsix barrel, put a timney trigger on it and stuffed it into a McMillian stock, it’s a very durable setup and super accurate.

Howa makes a great action that is very true, great one to build off of, it’s just heavy.

Rknight

Lil-Rokslider
Stock/barrel info?

Here’s his build thread on them

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
Jeremy,

Thanks for the feedback. This is my first Howa, so I am learning more about it. I will keep an eye on the bolt stop screw, I definitely would have missed that until I sheared it. I like the barrel/action configuration for my intended use. I will say, a tad heavy I definitely agree with. I wasn't overly concerned with weight but now that I have the barreled action I am trying to shave some where I can.

I completely agree with your statement that it will only be worth something to me when I am done. And I think that is enough for me to move forward with my intended plans. It will get used daily, and I will enjoy putting it together.

I am not crazy about the HACT trigger, so that is already off, likely will put a Timney in its place.

The stock, I originally planned on a B&C or HS, but now I am looking at some full carbon options, one in particular would be the Stocky's VG2. I like the design, and the weight savings.

Again on the weight, Id like to do some heavy fluting on the barrel and bolt to try and save some there. Short barrel doesn't leave a lot to be fluted though.

The little bit that I shot it before I took the stock and trigger off, it shot a little over a minute out to 200. I think once I bed it in the right stock and swap the trigger I should be within a minute or less if I do my part. Heres to hoping...

Thanks again for the feedback

Clayton
Currently shopping for a stock for my long action 1500. Just found the VG2 due to your comment. If I'm going to use a Proof Research CF barrel on the build what barrel profile do I chose?
Thanks,
Brian

Micmac

FNG
I've had a couple Wby vanguard and a couple Howa 1500, and all were excellent with factory barrels. All shot well under 1 MOA with good ammo

And I believe I have a new B&C target stock which accepts bull barrel profile in my shop I'm not using if you are interested. It's short action.