Howa 1500 Stock Upgrade

nobody

WKR
Good morning All,

Looking to do an upgrade for my Howa 1500 7 rem mag. It came with a Hogue Overmolded stock, which feels really nice in hand. But I HATE the flex I get in the fore end, I've never had to think so hard to shoot a good group with it. Sandbags have to be under the the front of the floorplate, no weight on the front half. If I do that, I can shoot 3/4 MOA groups easily. But I have to make sure to reset everything so that the stars align perfectly before each shot. Otherwise, It'll throw shots from here to kingdom come.

Anyways... looking for an alternative stock for the gun. Weight isn't a huge worry for me, i've got a Viper HSLR on it now and the darn thing weighs close to 10 lbs with a full magazine as is now, so anything will lighten it up a hair. I actually like a little heft on a magnum cartridge.

Currently, I'm looking at a Bell and Carlson. I know some guys say they're no good, but I've handled a few and they seem to be really solid, especially considering the price. Not interested in a Boyds or anything wood, even if it is laminated. Looking for any other ideas guys may have. I want a good, solid synthetic stock that I can beat on and that won't hinder my accuracy potential if the sun, moon, and stars aren't aligned properly.

I would also maybe be interested if anybody has a takeoff from a Vanguard. If you have one available, feel free to let me know. Thanks everyone!

If you like that stock , mill/route a groove(s) into the fore end and bed two 1/4" dia. stainless rods.
I personally like the Hogue stocks on my Howa rifles and bedding in rods made them rock solid ......

Edited, they were 3/16" dia16160904408077154414570060211332.jpg

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
My Howa is a 25-06 and I also wasn’t liking the Hogue stock. I was leaning toward a b&c but ended up getting a deal on an HS precision. They are a little heavy but the one I have on my 700 has been solid. Haven’t shot it yet as I’m also replacing the trigger.