How'd I do? New to me Hoyt Carbon

Picked this up for what I thought was a killer deal, under 600 for everything including the six arrows.

It's my first compound bow. Won't be proficient enough to hunt this year but I've set up a range on my property and been practicing every day. Still learning to get used to the single pin sight. IMG_3070.jpgIMG_3075.jpgIMG_3074.jpgIMG_3073.jpgIMG_3072.jpgIMG_3071.jpg

You might check that screw that's holding the grip on. I'm assuming it's a machine screw but it definitely isn't the factory one. Looks a little odd. I'd hate for someone to have put a wood screw in there.

Everything else looks good. Hope your enjoying it. Keep practicing. You'll be bowhunting before you know it.

Last edited:
OP
easleyreckless
Yeah this thing is awesome and now that I have it sited in perfectly I'm really happy with it. Still need my draw length adjusted, I think. When I get to my anchor point the bow continually tries to fight me, and I have to force it to stay drawn. Not sure if an error in my technique or wrong draw length.

LightFoot

WKR
Good deal.
Keep getting proficient and get out there and hunt!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
Yeah this thing is awesome and now that I have it sited in perfectly I'm really happy with it. Still need my draw length adjusted, I think. When I get to my anchor point the bow continually tries to fight me, and I have to force it to stay drawn. Not sure if an error in my technique or wrong draw length.

Agreed in that you stole it for the price you paid. What I would recommend (at least the following holds true in my area), go to a reputable pro shop during the week and maybe buy a new accessory (sight, rest etc) or look at some new arrows. Assuming the shop has an indoor range, shoot said new accessories before leaving and often times they will give you free lessons /advice as to your draw length, anchoring and so on, especially if it’s not Sept 1 type thing.

BadDogPSD

WKR
Pay for and take lessons before you train yourself in bad habits.
Learn the proper techniques rite off the back.
It will save tons in the long run.
Great advice! I wish I had done this. Easier to learn good habits than to break bad & learn good

OP
easleyreckless
The day I bought the bow I went to the pro shop and had him set up my draw length, but he was swamped so he didn't have a lot of time to fine tune. He's an olympic medal archer so he know's his stuff. He gave me a brief lesson on how to shoot properly. I have another real hour lesson setup next week when he fine tunes and readjusts my draw length. I bought my release and arrows from him. He's a cool guy. Just was super busy right before the start of archery season here.

Marble

WKR
With that bow after you get into the valley you should be really comfortable and we able to hold it forever. Either timing or draw length need adjustment. You'll get it. You'll love it. I have one and love shooting it.

Mines a 34 ZT with 65 pounds limbs, pulls at 67. 28.5 DL.

Shoots a 512 grain missle at 275.

And its super quiet.

Enjoy and report back!!

OP
easleyreckless
With that bow after you get into the valley you should be really comfortable and we able to hold it forever. Either timing or draw length need adjustment. You'll get it. You'll love it. I have one and love shooting it.

Mines a 34 ZT with 65 pounds limbs, pulls at 67. 28.5 DL.

Shoots a 512 grain missle at 275.

And its super quiet.

Enjoy and report back!!

It's definitely super quiet. I know something is wrong because I can pull it easy at 65lbs but it never wants to hold. I'm able to shoot decently already at 20-40. He has time for me tomorrow so I'll update after that.

Going out at 4 this morning to see if my buddy can get this guy. Have him on camera every morning walking to water the last 2 weeks. Hoping we can get it done. Wish I was ready to hunt. * time is not accurate.118947

Marble

WKR
Great buck!

The Hoyts are known to be a little sensitive to tuning. More specially timing. If timing is good, and you think you need a little more DL, try taking off the grip. If that doesn't work, put it in the press and take a little out. When you get it right you will be able to hold that thing rock steady.

And dont be afraid to run a heavy arrow through it.

OP
easleyreckless
Great buck!

The Hoyts are known to be a little sensitive to tuning. More specially timing. If timing is good, and you think you need a little more DL, try taking off the grip. If that doesn't work, put it in the press and take a little out. When you get it right you will be able to hold that thing rock steady.

And dont be afraid to run a heavy arrow through it.

I'm going to run the valkerie system this winter for the rut hunt. Just want my bow tuned up and correct before I call them and get it all ordered.

The bow is actually the bow shop owners old bow. So he can definitely tune it. I'm certain I'll get it all setup tomorrow.

stump06

WKR
One of the best bows Hoyt has built. I still have a '14 and love it. I will probably pick me up another one as a back up in the near future as opposed to getting and "new" bow. The issue you're having is probably timing or DL, once you get it tuned its a great shooting bow