Hoyt alpha X is awesome

I got her set up today. The tech had to swap shims around on both cams to get a tune with my arrows without having to move my Hamskea closer to the riser which would decrease cable clearance even more. I brought my old 1/4” peep with me but I decided to bump down to a 3/16”. We set it up on 30” draw and it came maxed out on 65 lbs. The tech said it’s probably closer to 70 as most bows max out a couple pounds higher than they are rated. I might be making this up but this bow at this draw weight feels like my 61 lb Martin Onza 3 with Nitro cams. Those nitro cams were speed cams and they were unique in that they didn’t stack and had an incredibly smooth draw. But this Hoyt is even smoother. Today I easily shot over 100 arrows through this thing. At first I was scared. I’ve been shooting since I was in jr high and I’m 53 now. I’ve had many bows through the years but this is the first new bow since 2012 for me and my first flagship ever. I’ve always just owned midrange bows my entire life. So for whatever reason this was messing with my mind. When I arrived at the range to dial in my 20-60 yard pins I was shaking so bad like a kid who had never shot a bow before. I’ve never experienced this. I found myself shaking at full draw like my knees were knocking lol and the pin was jittery. After 20 shots or so I started to mellow and start hitting. I’m guessing I shot around 75 arrows at the range and then I drove home and shot for another hour in my yard. This time I was jittery and my shoulders and muscles were rapidly shaking but it was from fatigue. I’ve basically shot 2.5 hours straight, drove and hour 15 home and shot for another hour straight. That’s a lot of shooting even for this boy who typically shoots daily. I came home and did a quick French tune and fine tuned my sight pins. I bumped my draw up 1/4” to 30.25” and that made a big difference in feel. I can’t believe how steady this bow holds compared to my old ones. Before I decided to put her up for the evening Pauline decided she wanted to join the club. I got a 40 yard Robin Hood when I was stacking arrows. That makes 5 since last summer. The arrow in the upper left was not a bad miss. I was aiming for the yellow jacket. Cheers IMG_6762.jpegIMG_6761.jpeg

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity for those that own an alpha x or Hoyt in general, how many of you like them set up the way mine is with a second stabilizer up high and how many have ditched the stubby factory one and just put a longer stabilizer in its place? I may play around tomorrow

I’m pumped for you! It’s an awesome bow.

I mentioned it in your other thread, but I found a 6” in the lower position and the stubby opposite the quiver balances the bow really well for me.

I’m pumped for you! It’s an awesome bow.

I mentioned it in your other thread, but I found a 6” in the lower position and the stubby opposite the quiver balances the bow really well for me.
Tomorrow I’m going to remove the stubby and put my 8” in its place and see how it feels. If it balances just as well there is not point in having the extra weight

I don't play with Hoyt much anymore, but I notice a lot of the guys use the v-bar off the back (target side) of the riser mounted behind the long bar.

Seems like something about the relationship with grip and limb pivot puts it out there.

Personally, I tend to like weight low in the riser, just to anchor it, maybe.
Or it's just what I'm use to and too scared to change.

I didn’t find time to shoot much today. I have been busy since this morning. I managed to fling about 20 arrows while my charcoal chimney was going this afternoon. Then I put it up. But during those 20 arrows I had taken the two .73 ounce weights off the stubby and replaced them with the 6 ounces from my stabilizer and left my stabilizer off. Just a 6 ounce stubby. I wish I had a accurate assessment of how well it held and performed, but I don’t because it was windy and I was exhausted from working all day and it wouldn’t have been a fair assessment. But it did feel like it held well. I don’t know yet. It will take a regular session to see how it feels after 50-75 shots. I really love how Hoyt designs these risers to stick out so far so that a little stubby is not only lower on the bow for a lower center of gravity, but it sticks out almost as far as my 8” stab does mounted up high.

Back