Hoyt Nitrum 34 - I guess we'll call it a review

winter

FNG
Seems like most "reviews" these days talk a lot about how the bow has nice camo and has no hand shock or some other feature that really doesn't matter... Hopefully I'll try to break that trend. I'm going to try write this from the perspective of a target shooter that's really serious about hunting - especially western hunting where shots tend to be a tad longer.

This isn't a "review", but more of a collection of my thoughts on the bow.

I don't normally get excited about new bows. They usually are very similar to every other thing out there. Most the time there is a lot of good things about them but always is something that is undesirable. For example - elite energy 35 that I've shot last year - Great bow, aims well, very stable on the shot and super easy to tune. BUT, it's stupid top heavy and the cable guard slide chews through the cerakote extremely fast (remedied with a teflon slide).

This brings me to the Hoyt Nitrum 34. Got the bow after work at Archery in the Wild here in CO. First thing I noticed is the ropes it has for strings/cables. Slapped my normal limb driver on it and tied in some nock pts. Shot through paper and got a little left tear. Put a twist in the left yoke and got a bullet hole. Cool

Set it up originally with injexions that night and shot a 50x 5 spot round with no peep. Biggest first impression to me was how well the bow aimed. It wants to stay in the middle.....like for real. To me that's one of the best attributes a bow can have. Nothing makes for a relaxed confident shot like a bow that just lets the pin sit there and wait allllll day for the release to break.

Shot it outside a few times since at ranges between 30 and 60. I have to say that this is the best "hunting" bow I've ever shot. I've shot a lot of hoyt target bows and mathews target bows in the past and lots of "hunting" bows and most feel similar. This little bow (short for my standards) is just great. I can't believe how stable it is throughout the shot. The shot breaks and the bow jumps straight to the target. Just like a bow should. It has a slight sloppy vibration feel in the hand that may bother some. As long as it doesn't contribute to noise, vibration does not matter to me.

I'm 29.5 draw so I got the big #3 cam and it is fairly smooth at 72lbs. At full draw the bow is very well behaved and doesn't seem like it wants to take off (unlike a lot of the recent hoyt hunting cams). I'm definitely a relaxer type shooter. This kind of soft feel at the back "wall" is perfect for me. If you're used to a limb type draw stop - it's nothing like that.

Also the bow balances really really well - i'm hoping that continues when I put a quiver on it.

Noise on the shot is very similar to a lot of other recent hunting bows. You just hear the string hit the string stop. That's about it.

I honestly can't find anything that I don't like about this bow and that's a first for me. I've probably shot 400-500 shots so far and the stock strings haven't creeped yet. It's a light bow but doesn't sacrifice any stability. No need to stick a 10" stabilizer on it.

I hope to shoot a few field rounds this summer to see how it really racks up.

To summarize:
Stable bow
aims unreal
quiet
very well balanced
great speed

Hope this helps someone.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
At 32"+ draw and LH, I don't get too excited about many bows, but the Nitrum 34LD has really caught my eye. I shot the regular Nitrum at 31" I think and that peaked my interest in checking out the LD version. However, don't really need another bow........but who knows........I might just pull the trigger.

Thanks for the review.

I am absolutely a hunter first, that also shoots some targets.