HPG kit bag size

Considering an HPG kit bag for concealed carry while hiking. Looking at the runners or the snubby. I’m carrying a S&W shield, so the snubby should fit it. Don’t need to carry much else in it.

The Hill brothers recommend normal size folks go with the regular size bags and say the snubby is really for smaller chested people. I’m concerned the larger kit bag might get in the way of a pack harness.

For average size guys (size medium or large T-shirt), what size kit bag has worked for you in terms of comfort?

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 5'11" 175lbs and wear a medium in most all shirts. I have a pretty broad chest (44") but a relatively short torso. I went with the snubby original kit bag and it works very well with osprey and kifaru daypacks as well as my mystery ranch guide light frame. I haven't tried on the full size but would guess it'd would be too large for my frame.

The snubby original also easily fits my Sig p365 and glock 19.

Hope that helps

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I run and bike with a snubby with a Glock 43 inside. It works awesome. I wish I hadn’t bothered buying the bungee runners harness piece for it, never needed it.

I wear a medium and can’t bench squat.

maxpetros

Lil-Rokslider
Heres some pictures. A glock 19 is a snug fit but doesn't hamper utilizing the zippers or quickly opening the pistol compartment in my practice.
b2e8512f5946de39d0587d532dcdbbc0.jpg
237f022bb382b75df7b59594ee68ad68.jpg
2915e4b896beb8eff796223ef6954a5c.jpg
aa28ecd417a873ba326e5668f08eb5e8.jpg
5b7132f7214c25120f2b89a672774b37.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Rokwiia

WKR
This past week, I received the HPG SAR Kit Bag. It is my 2nd chest pack from HPG...the 1st one was the Original Kit Bag. I think the size is a function of your intended use. I am not a hunter and use it for hiking and backpacking so we both use it for the same purpose.

The larger size will not get in the way of your backpack's harness. I have two Seek Outside packs, along with a ZPacks, and there is no problem whatsoever. I would only choose a chestpack that allows you to "dock" the chestpack to your backpack. That allows the chestpack to feel weightless as the entire weight has been transferred to your backpack. Only the "Snubby Kit Bag Original Pattern" has that feature in the snubby line.

The larger-sized kit bags such as the OKB or SAR KB allow you to carry items that are either critical or you need at your fingertips. I know you said you only will use it to carry a firearm but suspect you'll add other items which are important and right there when needed.

When I remove my backpack, were I to have an emergency, and have to immediately exit the area leaving the backpack, I still have all of the critical things I need in my chestpack. I like that I will never be separately from something I absolutely need.

I can carry either a subcompact or a Ruger Super Redhawk revolver in my OKB. That allows flexibility. When the OKB is filled and has the revolver (47oz), it can feel heavy around your neck. Use the lifter straps to dock it to your backpack and, as I said above, it become weightless.

Best of luck with whatever you choose.

HPG Kit Bags.jpg

Last edited:

Voyageur

WKR
I've had the original kit bag for several years now, probably 10 or more, and I would take the advice of the HPG people and go with the original/full size bag. As others have said it will definitely NOT get in the way of your pack harness. The more you use your kit bag the more you will realize all the different possibilities it offers beyond just weapon carry.

OP
C
I am going to go with a full size bag, either the runners or the recon. The option of putting a binocular pouch on the recon is very tempting. Thanks everyone for the advice.

lerman

FNG
I'm large chested, 6' 205lb and wear either an L or XL tee. P01 with a TLR7 fits great in the runners bag on me and don't interfere with my pack. I don't have experience with larger bags but I feel like the runner keeps everything very snug on my chest so It doesn't flop around, and I can draw a bow with it. You'll be surprised how much stuff you end up keeping in it. Really good place for batteries to keep them warm against your chest. One thing I wish the runner had was the external molle straps the SAR had. I think wider and flatter against your chest like the runner is the way to go.

Kayl

FNG
I ordered a runner and it worked great for my p365xl. No interference with my Osprey daypack. I haven't chosen what kind of gun I'm going to buy for an "out west gun", but I'll try this first.
PicsArt_08-22-10.39.30.jpgIMG_20210822_223407.jpg