Hunt While Acclimating

I have a Region Y Mule Deer tag for October. I'll be driving out from Kentucky (500ft elev). My ultimate destination in the Bighorns will be around 8000+ Ft. I'll be arriving after 2 days of driving on the 15th of October. My thought is, I could take my time and hunt some lower 4000-7000ft elevations on BLM/State for a couple days before heading to elevation for the rest of the week. Has anyone else used this strategy?

If it is our first time in the unit, we usually spend the first few hours driving around after arriving mid morning. Then we go to some pre identified glassing spots that are on or within a short hike of a road. We may hike a total of 1-3 miles on day 1.

All that said, I believe 8,000 is on the low end of where people experience altitude sickness. If you’re otherwise healthy from a cardio perspective and haven’t had altitude sickness before, I’m not sure spending time below 7,000 would even do any good.

We usually hunt in CO between 9500 and 12k feet. Coming from Tulsa (700 feet) I will usually, mostly based on drive time, pull up in Salida or that area for the first night and head up high the next day. The only time I have ever had an issue(knock on wood) was the very first time I hunted the area and drove straight through and hunted hard the next morning. Couple of the guys struggled for several days that year after driving in from Eastern SD. I no longer push too hard the first few days. Take my time setting up camp and try and do an easy hunt the first evening after that. Usually by the end of the first full day, I feel ok, although you never do get used to the lack of oxygen in just a week+ hunting. Hydrate really well which helps too.

EdP

WKR
There is no benefit from spending time below 7000 ft with regard to altitude acclimation. I try to spend at least one day above 7000 ft before jumping into a hunt. It has worked for me.

I live in Colorado so I don’t have much of an issue with the elevation, but I have guys come out to hunt with me most seasons. We have the benefit of hunting from the house but we will go high or low, depending on the animals. The key that’s worked for these dudes is go slow and not make the hike into a race and kill themselves on day one. They also drink a ton of wate, eat often and chew a good amount of gum when moving. So far there hasn’t been an issue in the past few seasons.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
From an adaptation perspective, if you hunt high, then drive to a lower elevation to sleep it would be best. Of course, that may not be practical.

Stay hydrated. Avoid alcohol. Take it easy the first day or two and get good sleep.

Kurts86

WKR
You are not physiologically acclimating in a day or so it’s more like a 10-20 day process at a minimum.

In my experience what matters going up to altitude is being hydrated and rested ahead of time. It’s too easy to drive all day, pound caffeine and be super dehydrated the first day in the mountains. For me drinking water consciously on the drive out and getting a hotel and good nights sleep beforehand matters the most.

The bighorns are not particularly high or physically demanding all things considered. Just be in the best shape you can be ahead of time and start the hunt rested and hydrated.

Just hunt. It’ll take 3 days before you notice you can go further between breaks. No way around it. Just sleeping at higher elevations helps.