Kill your dog and your political career at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.
THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE A POLITICAL THREAD.
So I just heard about this. Evidently Krist Noem (Gov of South Dakota) just wrote a book & in it she described killing her 14 month old puppy because it was misbehaving & basically just doing puppy stuff.
I know people who've put down dogs for hurting kids, being overly aggressive, etc. & that's understandable.
Heck when I was in high school rabbit hunting with a friend, his dad shot one of his beagles because it wouldn't hunt.

I can't believe that she could be so stupid or lack the judgement to actually write about this when she's supposedly on the short list to be Trump's VP. Americans will overlook murdering a family member but hurting a dog is an unforgivable sin. Thank God this came out before he picked her. She just pulled a Michael Vick on her career.
What do you guys think?

manitou1

WKR
It is inconceivable in my mind.

I saw a guy take a young bird dog out ONCE. It wouldn't hunt and he pulled a pistol out and shot it.
In all honestly, I would have put more value on the pup's life than his.

It's like killing your kid because they don't hunt. Give the thing away as a pet for someone if you don't want to work with it.

ODB

WKR
She will be soundly and self-righteously thumped by every activist who on any other day is just fine with chopping up an unborn kid and incinerating it.

One act is stupid, the other is truly unconscionable.

Not to make it political, or social...

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Buddy in the military once told me his grandpa made him put a dog down as a kid. He said they told him to put peanut butter on the end of the shotgun and pull the trigger once it was getting into it.

My dad shot my favorite dog when i was a kid and made me lay there with it so it had someone to die with.

As a child we look at these things as heinous. When/if our minds mature, we tend to see life differently.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
It wasn't just a bad hunting trip that she killed the dog for. She said after the bad hunting trip the dog escaped and went to a neighbors and killed a bunch of chickens. Then when she tried to pull the dog off the chickens it turned around and bit at her.

Not saying it was right or wrong, just wanted to get the narrative that it was simply from a bad hunting experience out of here

It’s a dog. Not a person.

She didn’t torture it. She didn’t just kill it for the thrill of killing it. She had a reason. The dog was a tool that wasn’t performing. So she got rid of it.

I’ve put a few down in my day. While I didn’t enjoy the act, it was something that had to be done. I did it and moved on with my life.

I think people who get bent out of shape over the death/killing of an animal have never truly experienced death of human beings in their life. It’s one thing to go to grandmas funeral after she died at 90. It’s quite another to be by the side of 20 yr old as he takes his last breath.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed a number of them but I usually wait for a year to determine if they have breedable characteristics. If not - out they go.

She is a farm/ ranch girl. This is the life on the farm. There isn't room for emotion. I admire her guts to lay it out there.
Ever thought about trying to find some homes for those dogs instead of killing them?

It wasn't just a bad hunting trip that she killed the dog for. She said after the bad hunting trip the dog escaped and went to a neighbors and killed a bunch of chickens. Then when she tried to pull the dog off the chickens it turned around and bit at her.

Not saying it was right or wrong, just wanted to get the narrative that it was simply from a bad hunting experience out of here
There you go. Always two sides. If a dog won’t mind, kills domesticated stock, then tries to bite its owner when they are trying to get it under control, shooting it is a 100% necessity. For the betterment of everyone who would ever be around it.

My dg is family. But, it’s a dog. If it acts like hers it’s going to get the same treatment. While it’s become normal for people to expose everyone to their often undertrained and spoiled dog, it’s also becoming more frequent that these dogs are chewing on people.

For the average owner, a quality training collar should be mandatory. And it should be used the minute your dog routinely chooses its own head over your command. This is usually about the 4-5 month stage. If used then, training gets fast tracked. And, the dog learns to intermingle and act right.

But, people buy dogs and don’t put in the time they need to with the animal. The dog learns its own way which is when they become a problem. A training collar and proper dedication to the animal will fix it. The earlier the better. Unfortunately that’s not how the marshmallow soft American society Sees things. Which results in the owner exposing the world to the problem dog they created. It’s every bodies problem then. And usually they end up chewing on a woman or a kid.

Stupid dog owners need treated like the stupid dogs they create. My opinion. And, I commend her for dealing with it versus selling or giving it away to become someone else’s problem.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
It is inconceivable in my mind.

I saw a guy take a young bird dog out ONCE. It wouldn't hunt and he pulled a pistol out and shot it.
In all honestly, I would have put more value on the pup's life than his.

It's like killing your kid because they don't hunt. Give the thing away as a pet for someone if you don't want to work with it.
I think it was Mark Twain who said, " I like all dogs more than I do most people. " ? Some of the posts in this thread tend to make me agree. I feel sorry for people who look at a dog as only a tool. They`re missing something that`s hard to put into words. I`ve personally believed for a long time that God gave man the dog to show him what pure, unadulterated love looks like.

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
There you go. Always two sides. If a dog won’t mind, kills domesticated stock, then tries to bite its owner when they are trying to get it under control, shooting it is a 100% necessity. For the betterment of everyone who would ever be around it.

My dg is family. But, it’s a dog. If it acts like hers it’s going to get the same treatment. While it’s become normal for people to expose everyone to their often undertrained and spoiled dog, it’s also becoming more frequent that these dogs are chewing on people.

For the average owner, a quality training collar should be mandatory. And it should be used the minute your dog routinely chooses its own head over your command. This is usually about the 4-5 month stage. If used then, training gets fast tracked. And, the dog learns to intermingle and act right.

But, people buy dogs and don’t put in the time they need to with the animal. The dog learns its own way which is when they become a problem. A training collar and proper dedication to the animal will fix it. The earlier the better. Unfortunately that’s not how the marshmallow soft American society Sees things. Which results in the owner exposing the world to the problem dog they created. It’s every bodies problem then. And usually they end up chewing on a woman or a kid.

Stupid dog owners need treated like the stupid dogs they create. My opinion. And, I commend her for dealing with it versus selling or giving it away to become someone else’s problem.
Are there " bad " dogs genetically? Sure. Having said that, I`d hazard a guess that 80-90% of the cause of " problem " dogs can be traced back to crappy owners who didn`t deserve to own a dog in the first place. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.