hunting along a river on foot for moose

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed to alberta for an archery moose hunt in 2 weeks and the strategy is to walk a river system looking for moose. I've done 2 DIY drop camp hunts in AK and that's just sitting ridge tops calling and glassing so this type of hunt will be a first for me. I do a lot of archery elk hunting in UT so I love the hiking and looking for sign and such. Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to hunt moose on foot along a river? I assuming we'll be off river a bit looking in swampy areas, looking for fresh sign but would you still rake and call given the rut will be getting going? there isnt a lot of spots to get up high and glass due to dense brush. Any help would be appreciated!

leoni1

FNG
Rivers here in Alberta are low at this time of year. This should allow you access to walk and call below the high water line.

Seems like a pretty good way to hunt moose, but expect some mud and tough walking.

What river and general area of Alberta are you hunting? I might be able to give you more info and pointers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leoni1

FNG
0af679b8717745ded2c01ea6a6a403e4.jpg

Here is my 2021 Alberta bull.

Rivers here in Alberta are low at this time of year. This should allow you access to walk and call below the high water line.

Seems like a pretty good way to hunt moose, but expect some mud and tough walking.

What river and general area of Alberta are you hunting? I might be able to give you more info and pointers.

I’m going on the trip with chirogrow. McLeod river. We’ll be starting 23 miles up it from steeper and ending up in steeper. I hope you know the area! Thank you for the input and congrats on a tank of a moose!

WMR

FNG
That should be great timing for calling moose. The area we hunted last year went up in smoke. It’s still looking like I’ll get a hunt in this year, but fire is still a factor.

leoni1

FNG
I’m going on the trip with chirogrow. McLeod river. We’ll be starting 23 miles up it from steeper and ending up in steeper. I hope you know the area! Thank you for the input and congrats on a tank of a moose!

I know the area reasonably well- I’ve sheep hunted not far from there and helped a buddy with a bull moose tag in the zone just north of where you’re going to be at as well.

Key to success in my opinion will be versatility. If you’re not finding anything by walking and calling in the river valley then I’d move up higher and check out new areas within the zone.

Not a high density and productivity area for moose (compared to some farm land zones) but beautiful country. There will be some good bulls I’m sure.

If your hunt is last week of September or first week October and the weather is cool, the bulls should be rutting hard!

Good luck.

OP
C

Chirogrow

Lil-Rokslider
I know the area reasonably well- I’ve sheep hunted not far from there and helped a buddy with a bull moose tag in the zone just north of where you’re going to be at as well.

Key to success in my opinion will be versatility. If you’re not finding anything by walking and calling in the river valley then I’d move up higher and check out new areas within the zone.

Not a high density and productivity area for moose (compared to some farm land zones) but beautiful country. There will be some good bulls I’m sure.

If your hunt is last week of September or first week October and the weather is cool, the bulls should be rutting hard!

Good luck.

Sounds like great advice thank you! we'll be hunting from the 30-8. I hope the rut will be in full swing by then, the outfitter said that the moose have just started coming down off the mountain so hopefully each day brings a little more opportunity

Last edited: