7-08 Alberta moose

I'm working up loads for an Alberta moose hunt this October. I already have a very accurate load for 139 Interlocks at 2850 fps, and 140 TTSXs at 2920, but looking hard at Hammer 132 HHTs. So far, I'm at 3100 fps with no signs of pressure. I'm thinking I'll continue looking for pressure in 1/2 gr increments, then back off 1gr and look for accuracy.
Looking for experiences from others who may have used 132 HHTs, or even 131 HHs on Canada moose. Thanks

wyosam

WKR
I think that’s a great choice. I’ve got a box on the way for my 7-08ai. AK moose on the menu. I’ll load them in my 280ai as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WMR

FNG
Unless you have a VERY long barrel, you’ve probably already “found” pressure with a 130 grain bullet at 3100 from a 7-08. Shoot the TTSX load.

OP
eaglemountainman
Unless you have a VERY long barrel, you’ve probably already “found” pressure with a 130 grain bullet at 3100 from a 7-08. Shoot the TTSX load.
Nope, no pressure signs yet. Primers look good. Bolt lift and extraction are quite normal. And there is no evidence of extractor wipe.
The 140 TTSX is a good load, but I have lots of time till Oct. for experimenting. I've heard all the hype about these Hammers and this is a good time to wring some out and see for myself.

Last edited:
OP
eaglemountainman
If it’s a bullet that’s legal in Alberta and it’s coming from a 7-08, it’ll kill an Alberta moose.
I have no doubts about the 132 HHT's ability to put the lights out, based on my ballistic app. Just haven't seen many/any posts about its real world performance on large animals, particularly moose. Also curious about meat destruction with this bullet vs HHs.

wyosam

WKR
I have no doubts about the 132 HHT's ability to put the lights out, based on my ballistic app. Just haven't seen many/any posts about its real world performance on large animals, particularly moose. Also curious about meat destruction with this bullet vs HHs.

There is a picture heavy post over on the hammertime forum showing quite a bit more bloodshot with the HHT than the HH line. Not like a cup and core blowing up, but more than typical with copper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
My wife killed her first moose this year with out of the box noslers in her finnlight 7-08. Around 175 yds, give or take.

Wes7et6.jpg

NorthCountryAB

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely think shot placement with a quality bullet is a lot more important than magnum rifles. Id personally rather see a client bring a 308 win shooting a 165gr Partition/Accubond/TTSX/Interlock (any premium bullet) And have that hunter be able to put one good shot in the boiler room than someone who brings a 338wm that they bought just for a moose hunt but cant shoot it worth a shit.
Moose arent hard to kill, they definitely dont have the will to live like a whitetail or an elk from my experience.
And I would guess 90% of the bulls we shoot, if the hunter makes a good first shot they have an opportunity for a second shot.
Ive never heard of HHT's??? But your load of 140gr TTSX at 2920fps would be great.
Just my 2 cents, ive seen a few die lol

OP
eaglemountainman
Just an update

I'm about done with load development. The Hammer 132 HHTs didn't work out as I had hoped. My Montana wasn't thrilled with them.

So far I've got my load choice down to either a 120 TTSX @ 3195 fps or a 140 Accubond @ 2885. Both shoot under an inch......sometimes, well under. It's tough to be real precise because the 2-7X duplex reticle covers 1" @ 100yds, but given that, both loads are very consistent.

It's gonna be tough to decide. The Accubond carries a bit more energy on paper, though I'm not a strict believer in published energy numbers required to kill game. I've never shot an Accubond at game, but something about it intrigues me. I do believe that speed at impact kills when it comes to solid copper, and the 120s are moving pretty well out to my limit of 300 yds. Having killed a lot of game with this bullet, I have confidence in it.

Like I said, gonna be tough.....

Last edited:
140 gr. Accubond is your huckleberry! I only shoot that and the 140 gr. Partition in my 280AI. I've have great success with the Partition and the Accubond. It is what I used on my grizzly bear in 2019 up above the Arctic Circle.
I say go with that 140 gr. Accubond. You won't be disappointed.
1711809075606.png

Last edited: