Hunting Auctions

I’m just curious as to those that have done these hunting auctions as done through the mule deer foundation, wild sheep foundation, etc. What are you experiences with the outfitters? Are they generally up and coming guys or are they well established? Some of these auctions look like they could be a great opportunity to hunt some species that I would have never even thought of, and possibly get them at a decent price or at least get the opportunity that would otherwise require a rare draw. Anyway, if people are willing to share their thoughts or experiences I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

jolemons

WKR
Agreed. Do due diligence and get references as usual. I would get references from members of the organization that they made the donation to. Some are a great value and some sell for more than you could book it directly.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

WCB

WKR
Bought a few and know a bunch of people that have from SCI. No bad experiences yet. Definitely look the outfitter up if possible. All the ones I know of were well established legit. We have made good friends with a couple of the outfitters and has led to savings on a couple of hunts with them since. Getting deals on basically anything but Africa or other out of country hunts is a thing of the past. 99% of U.S. trips go for cost anyways. Some European hunts do go for well under. Make sure you read all the fine print as some exclude things like daily rates or trophy fees. Also some have mandatory add ons that will cost you above what you pay.

I did buy my New Zealand trip for me and my wife (girlfriend at the time) for $2500 ($12,000 value). Added a Tahr and two Arapawas on and still came in well under full hunt cost of the original package.

Example of what I have noticed though. African Safari at a good outfitter was valued at about $20,000. 4 hunters and 4 non hunters daily fees and I think 4 animals a piece per hunter. Went for $2,500 total. So for $625 (+airfair and shipping of animals) you and a non hunter (wife) could have went to Africa on a 7 day safari with 3 other couples.

Same auction every U.S. hunt went for cost including a couple high fenced deer hunts that went slightly over cost.

fwafwow

WKR
I've gone on two Argentina dove hunts "won" through hunting foundation events - once as a guest of a buddy and the other time as the "winner" (buyer). We had a great time on both trips. The real "cost" and profit center for the outfitters on those two trips was the shotgun shells - which were about $0.50 per. I very much doubt that the outfitters were giving up or donating anything to the organizations - fwiw.