Hunting Bad Wind

I’m gonna be doing some hunting later this week where I have pretty limited options, and I’ll have to be in a spot where the wind will blow my scent towards where the deer typically come from. Again, no choice here, really.

Given that information, what are some recommendations? Obviously try to limit my scent as much as possible? What are thoughts on using some kind of spray like Buc Rut? I know it’s not ideal either way, but curious what people think about the best strategies to counteract an unfavorable situation.

WCB

WKR
Try to move as best you can to a stand location where the deer parallel your scent stream. Get up really high could help or get in a ground blind with as many windows closed as possible. Hunted some really questionable winds late season the last couple years without getting picked off in a blind. Even a couple nights with wind basically blowing directly at..wait for it....the corn pile. Had deer feeding on it all night.

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
I'll toss this out there just because I'm curious. What if you left a piece of clothing out in the general area so they might become acclimated to it. I have no idea where you are intending to hunt and this really depends on the area, traffic, etc. But if they are somewhat accustomed to people nearby, farms, ranches, etc. this might help put them at ease if they catch your scent where you're not there and feel relatively safe.

If it works out it was my idea. If not, someone hopped on my keyboard while I was out.

I Always thought my stand was best with a North wind until I started seeing nice bucks coming from the south (in a South wind), my advise would be....... face the other direction. Any deer downwind are going to catch your scent, scent free showering and scent lok clothing isnt going to stop that.

I'd try to get situated if possible where its a cross wind. Really works if you're rifle hunting but may not be a good idea. As said above, you may be able to get away with it.

Last Friday I had deer come toward me directly down wind from a private clear cut onto public and then circle behind me upwind to come to the white oak flat I was in. Never knew I was there. Blasted a spike that I thought was a doe. Oh well!!! Not my primary buck spot!

Drenalin

WKR
If it isn't possible to hunt a spot with the wind in my favor, I don't hunt there. However, wind in my favor doesn't necessarily mean in my face or on my cheek. If it's possible to set up to one extreme or the other laterally where the wind would be just off from where you expect deer movement to originate, that often works very well. Also, it's not uncommon in areas I hunt for wind to be light enough that thermals are the dominant factor. If wind and thermals are just plain bad, I personally wouldn't hunt it. If yearling does and bucks are what you're after though, it'll probably be fine.

Edit to add: it's possible for a lot to be going on between you and the deer that affect their ability to wind you, i.e. vegetation, terrain, water. It's not as important what the wind is doing where you are as it is where the deer are.

OP
I
If it isn't possible to hunt a spot with the wind in my favor, I don't hunt there. However, wind in my favor doesn't necessarily mean in my face or on my cheek. If it's possible to set up to one extreme or the other laterally where the wind would be just off from where you expect deer movement to originate, that often works very well. Also, it's not uncommon in areas I hunt for wind to be light enough that thermals are the dominant factor. If wind and thermals are just plain bad, I personally wouldn't hunt it. If yearling does and bucks are what you're after though, it'll probably be fine.

Edit to add: it's possible for a lot to be going on between you and the deer that affect their ability to wind you, i.e. vegetation, terrain, water. It's not as important what the wind is doing where you are as it is where the deer are.

I think I can kind of set up in a spot where the I might be able to avoid blowing right into their path. It's close, but it's not like they will be walking 50 yards downwind of me. The wind is also fairly light, so that's a factor as well.

What if I just drench myself in deer piss before I go out? That's gotta help, right? Haha.. I kid, I kid.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I heard a quote the other day saying you want to hunt a wind that is “almost wrong for you, and almost right for the deer” which resonated with me.

With that in mind, try to find something that works better, even if just by a razor’s edge. Watch thermals, hang your stand high, set up so it’s just on the margin, etc.

If it’s not possible and I’m concerned about blowing the spot out, I won’t go. As much as I love deer hunting I ended up not going out this past Sunday because I really couldn’t make the wind work for me and I didn’t want to blow up the info I’ve uncovered over the past few weeks.

Pilarczyk85

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a stickler on wind. Like said above. I'd rather one good wind hunt versus a 100 bad ones. Now we all can't it right every time but if it's a spot you think is a good buck spot or something I'd wait the wind or and I seriously believe this. Ground hunt it if possible or pick up a saddle. Those saddle guys seem to have the right idea on adapting to situations like bad wind.

jimh406

WKR
If that is the only area you can hunt, then hunt it. Just because they usually approach from that direction doesn't mean they will do the same thing. The rut (should be getting close) as well as pressure for other hunters can change the deer patterns quite a lot.

WKR
I heard a quote the other day saying you want to hunt a wind that is “almost wrong for you, and almost right for the deer” which resonated with me.

With that in mind, try to find something that works better, even if just by a razor’s edge. Watch thermals, hang your stand high, set up so it’s just on the margin, etc.

If it’s not possible and I’m concerned about blowing the spot out, I won’t go. As much as I love deer hunting I ended up not going out this past Sunday because I really couldn’t make the wind work for me and I didn’t want to blow up the info I’ve uncovered over the past few weeks.
Had that a few years ago. Strong NW wind blowing with deer normally arriving from SE. I was using an ironsighted muzzleloader and wanted to be close to the normal travel pattern. I hedged back about 30 more yards farther to the NE. Mature buck basically paralleled my scent cone for about the final 200 yards and I shot him at 22 yards.

If stand hunting and 15' up, a strong wind seems to keep my scent above the ones that come close and directly downwind. When possible I do try to avoid having scent anywhere near where I think they will travel.

EdP

WKR
I’m gonna be doing some hunting later this week where I have pretty limited options, and I’ll have to be in a spot where the wind will blow my scent towards where the deer typically come from. Again, no choice here, really.
Try to move as best you can to a stand location where the deer parallel your scent stream.
I have a similar situation on my own property. There is just no good approach to my stands from my house with the prevailing winds. My solution, such as it is, involves riding out on my SxS, parking in an old barn, and walking a parallel course to a stand. I believe the noise from riding across the deer travel paths is less disturbing than walking and leaving a scent trail.

Yoder

WKR
I wouldn't trust the weather report. Last week the wind was actually blowing SW when the weather predicted NW. Could have been the terrain or thermals but I wound up changing my plans. I would check it that day with milkweed before going in. Setup to where you think you can get a shot before they smell you. Monday I I had a SW wind. The deer came in between SW and W so the wind was off just enough that the didn't smell me.

OP
I
If the wind direction holds, I think I can set it up in a spot where it will blow just a bit off where they would typically enter. The wind speed has also decreased a bit to the point where it's nearly just calm. Not that it won't be enough to blow my scent, but every little thing helps.

I think the way my stand is set up also helps to a certain degree. I'm almost blocked by the tree for the way the wind is blowing. Again, not that my scent still won't carry, but it helps.

I'm feeling a bit better about it than I was a few days ago.

huntngolf

Lil-Rokslider
Any reason you have to be in the stand? Could you hunt from the ground to get the wind in your favor? I hunt from the ground a ton without using a blind just whatever natural cover is available, works great and you can be very mobile in your locations

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't trust the weather report. Last week the wind was actually blowing SW when the weather predicted NW. Could have been the terrain or thermals but I wound up changing my plans. I would check it that day with milkweed before going in. Setup to where you think you can get a shot before they smell you. Monday I I had a SW wind. The deer came in between SW and W so the wind was off just enough that the didn't smell me.
Terrain plays a huge role in it. I set up on a bench with a creek bottom below it a few weeks ago, it seemed like it was a textbook setup at first. I got to height, tossed some milkweed to double check and it was swirling back up onto the bench. As I was debating getting down I got busted.