Hunting Birds in the Mountains Resources

I have easy access to the Roosevelt NF here in Colorado. Im Looking for a good resource to get an idea of how to get started on a path to success. Any books, articles or videos that someone could recommend? Appreciate any help. Looked through the forum and couldn’t find what I’m looking for.

Holocene

WKR
Not trying to be snarky at all, but I've learned more bird hunting than reading about bird hunting.

I'd suggest going on some long hikes with the pup and stick to creeks, edges, and general good habitat. Birds need cover, food, and water and are where they are. Go find em.

IsThisHeaven

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to be snarky at all, but I've learned more bird hunting than reading about bird hunting.

I'd suggest going on some long hikes with the pup and stick to creeks, edges, and general good habitat. Birds need cover, food, and water and are where they are. Go find em.
This has been my experience as well. Not that you can’t get good info from books, forums, etc because you can. But you will learn a lot more just getting out there and doing it. Not just during the season but year round. Pay attention to the habitat you find them in. When you get them on the ground pay attention to what they’ve been eating. Birds will move around based on cover changes, seasons, food source changes, etc.

OP
Dr.Spaniel
I get out often when I’m scouting for big game and see some birds here and there and am learning in the woods. Like to read too, was just curious about anything that can help.

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with everyone about getting out. Highly depends on species, dog vs no dog. There's usually some old timers around that would love to pass on the knowledge. Bird hunting is a thing unto itself. If you have a dog there's nothing like it.

OP
Dr.Spaniel
yeah, no dog right now. I’ve recently moved here and am beginning to meet people, hopefully that will be helpful. Appreciate the response!

dkell

FNG
If you really want to do it read up on basic habitat and just get out there. There is no amount of reading that is going to trump experience. First season I started taking it pretty seriously I learned more of exactly what not to do and didn’t take a whole lot of birds. However, I took as much time to do it as possible.

Trial by fire is the only way to go in my opinion. If you are a quick study it’ll do you a world of good.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Look for shapes, not birds. Otherwise I learned by going out and getting birds.

I use a 22 lr. I bring binoculars and a range finder. A bipod helps with long shots.

Look at books for birders and biologists (or websites, blogs, etc).

MHB

FNG
Burning boot leather is the best way to do it as others have said.

What kind of birds are you after (Grouse, ptarmigan, Turkey, etc.)?

Archery, shotgun, small caliber rifle (.22)?

Assuming Boulder County Colorado. If this is correct feel free to reach out via DM and I can point you in the right direction.

Matt

dtrkyman

WKR
I see lot's of grouse in CO. Enough I consider going after them each year but never have.

OP
Dr.Spaniel
Burning boot leather is the best way to do it as others have said.

What kind of birds are you after (Grouse, ptarmigan, Turkey, etc.)?

Archery, shotgun, small caliber rifle (.22)?

Assuming Boulder County Colorado. If this is correct feel free to reach out via DM and I can point you in the right direction.

Matt
I think I’m interested in grouse for now, but anything I can get a shot at. I have a lab that isn’t afraid to get in it, prey driven and always stays close and in front of me. If I can get her to sit on the whistle I’ll take her to flush. it’ll be ugly though 😂 probably shot gun, 20 gauge probably?

Hnthrdr

WKR
By mountain birds I’m guessing you mean grouse? Maybe some ptarmigan? They can have places they habituate regularly, but also they can be super random and spread out. Honestly just walking ridgelines and learning some spots is the way to go. Like everything else there is no substitute for boots on the ground experience and like all hunting bird or otherwise it is getting harder and harder to keep spots secret 🤫 so most guys will not volunteer spots. You said you have access to NF, which we all do. So get out there and burn some book leather. If you find an elevation band that holds birds, note it, there will probably be more there and you will pattern them eventually

YouTube is your friend. Check out Colorado Blue/Dusky grouse hunting, or even videos on hunting them in Montana or Wyoming. It'll give you a good idea of the habitat and conditions you should expect chasing them. Ptarmigan can also be found above treeline throughout the state. Chukar can supposedly be found lower down in the western part of the state, but I cant confirm that one personally, but that's on the agenda this fall.

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
I have a dog, but for Colorado grouse or ptarmigan, a 22 pistol is perfect, maybe I should reconsider.

I've seen guys shotgunning during archery season, have shot all of my grouse in CO while hunting elk.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
Just go elk hunting and they will be everywhere. 😆

in all seriousness, explore some country and soon youll know where and what you will look for. I enjoy hiking and getting out. You'll get on them.

YouTube is your friend. Check out Colorado Blue/Dusky grouse hunting, or even videos on hunting them in Montana or Wyoming. It'll give you a good idea of the habitat and conditions you should expect chasing them. Ptarmigan can also be found above treeline throughout the state. Chukar can supposedly be found lower down in the western part of the state, but I cant confirm that one personally, but that's on the agenda this fall.
shhhhh there are no chukar in CO ;) -- you also have 2 week seasons for Sage and Colombian Sharptail. Those sharpies are addicting to chase!