Hunting layering system

GoldenMn

FNG
Hey there going on Utah LE elk hunt in mid to late September in central Utah . Looking for recommendations on hunting clothing layering system . I got some base layerS . looking for something in the mid weight category. Something I can just throw on for the morning and just take off as it gets warmer . Thanks

I wear an issued grid fleece for 90% of my hunting in mild weather. The Condor grid fleece runs $36 on Amazon. They are also called called waffle shirts or sleep shirts.

I want to spend some money and but a fancy mid weight in camo but I don't know if I will because the grid fleece shirts are so nice.

Last edited:
Just get a good fleece pullover from Eddie Bauer or someplace. I have an Under Armour fleece pullover and that is what I use. If it is going to be colder, I just add a heavier base layer.

Jeshwahhh

FNG
I'm a big fan of a light down sweater for a mid layer. Found myself a second hand Patagonia down that packs super light and will handle most days 40F and warmer.

ldrathman

WKR
I wear an issued grid fleece for 90% of my hunting in mild weather. The Condor grid fleece runs $36 on Amazon. They are also called called waffle shirts or sleep shirts.

I want to spend some money and but a fancy mid weight in camo but I don't know if I will because the grid fleece shirts are so nice.
Good tip on the Condor fleece, just picked one up. Allowed my self to splurge on some top layer camo but wanted to keep my undergarments relatively cheap.

Hard to beat lightweight down, though it is expensive.

My choice for less $, TNF Ventrix.

I throw a Sitka lightweight Core hoody (has built-in facemask) and a Kelvin vest on. Take rain gear in case those monsoonal rains pass over and dump on you.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg

JRMiller

WKR

Same here. The Condor grids are great for the price

Depending on how high you camp - Mid weight fleece probably isn’t going to cut it unless you are a furnace. An equivalent weight 800 fill down jacket will take up half the space in your pack and keep you a lot warmer.