Hunting Maui - Navigating tags, license, etc

Hello! I am headed to Maui for an axis deer trip that has been forever on my bucket list. Thanks to some amazing people they've pulled this trip together and I am beyond excited. I filled out the "Non-resident Exemption Request Form" two weeks ago and I haven't heard anything back yet (yes I checked spam). Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back generally speaking? Additionally, if I travel with a rifle, I need to register it within 48 hours. Has anyone ever gone through this process? How long does it take? tips or tricks? I am bringing a rifle as a backup to my bow because I am newly disabled, and I'd like to have options should my condition worsen etc. Any help/guidance always appreciated.

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
That’s too long to get your exemption, I got mine the next businesses day this winter.

I would try and resubmit form. Can’t help you with the rifle, as I always bring a bow.

diverc18

Lil-Rokslider
The Police station in town is open Monday-Thursday 9am-3pm for firearm registration. If it’s similar to the resident registration procedures it won’t take longer than 15-20 minutes depending on how busy it is. Mornings tend to be a little less busy in my experience.

I hunted in HI about 8 years ago. I called the DNR office and they literally walked me through the process. Then about 4 years i went back to HI for some camping and the DNR was just as helpful getting my permits setup. 10/10 would recommend.

OP
K
The Police station in town is open Monday-Thursday 9am-3pm for firearm registration. If it’s similar to the resident registration procedures it won’t take longer than 15-20 minutes depending on how busy it is. Mornings tend to be a little less busy in my experience.
thank you so much!

OP
K
I wound up having to call and I got the loveliest young lady to help, and she got me all squared away. I've got my license in hand and now it's time to pack. Thank you to everyone who helped.