Hunting Media

ROKnROAL

FNG
Was just bumming around the house last night, flipping through channels and saw that The Ghost and the Darkness was on tv. That’s an immediate watch for me, bringing me back to my youth. Great flick too. Got me thinking about it, that movie and reading Peter Capstick’s ‘Death in the Long Grass’ are really the first things that sparked my interest in hunting at a young age. Funny enough, for personal reasons, I would never want to hunt any animals for a ‘trophy’, but even still, these two are foundational to what got me into the sport. What’s some hunting media that influenced you to get into it, if you weren’t raised in a hunting household?

Last edited:

Kyle C

Lil-Rokslider
Watching the movie "The Edge" as a kid is what made me want to go to Alaska oddly enough, and pushed me toward more backcountry style hunts. Now I find myself there a few times a year.

dtrkyman

WKR
Was all magazines for me, Bowhunter, Peterson's Bowhunting. Chuck Adams, Dwight Schuh and Bill Winke.

Growing up in Illinois my focus was on Whitetail, Also archery is the main reason I got into hunting and the only way I hunt big game.

Old yard sale copies of Outdoor Life and other hunting magazines of the 60s & 70s. They were ancient by the time this young un bought them super cheap, stacks for a quarter, in the 80s. Elmer Keith and Jack O'Connor chief among them.

Of the two, O'Connor brought things to life better for me. You could smell the woodsmoke, hear the saddles creaking, and live the hunt with him.

I miss long hunting tales of that quality taken over by the less that 200 words whack em & stack em, or 50 word InstaFaceTweets.

Yoder

WKR
When I was really young, I remember my dad taking me to see a film about Fred Bear at our local High school. As I got older my all time favorite was Ted Nugent. His video Down to Earth was awesome. Another favorite was Dan Fitzgerald.

ODB

WKR
Was just bumming around the house last night, flipping through channels and saw that The Ghost and the Darkness was on tv. That’s an immediate watch for me, bringing me back to my youth. Great flick too. Got me thinking about it, that movie and reading Peter Capstick’s ‘Death in the Long Grass’ are really the first things that sparked my interest in hunting at a young age. Funny enough, for personal reasons, I would never want to hunt any animals for a ‘trophy’, but even still, these two are foundational to what got me into the sport. What’s some hunting media that influenced you to get into it, if you weren’t raised in a hunting household?

What do you consider trophy hunting?

hunterjmj

WKR
I grew up in a family that has hunted for many generations but I always enjoyed Gordon Eastmans films. High Wild and Free, North of the Sun, Savage Wild, etc. I still enjoy watching those movies. I'm a trophy/meat hunter. I love the meat but I also enjoy the antlers hanging in my house. I think it's fairly normal to want to hunt the biggest animal or at least what is a trophy to you. What isn't a trophy to you may be a trophy to the next guy.

woods89

WKR
Capstick has a way of making the sights, smells, and sounds rise out of the pages. My books of his come off the shelf fairly frequently.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Not entirely hunting specific and more outdoors related, as a kid I remember reading Hatchet, Green Hills of Africa, The Old Man and the Sea, The Maneaters of Tsavo (Ghost & the Darkness is based on), Most Dangerous Game, Where the Redfern Grows, watching the movie Never Cry Wolf and thinking these are the paths I need to be on.

grfox92

WKR
Primos The Truth, Hunters Specialties, Dan Fitzgerald all on VHS

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Did anyone watch the Tree Lounge videos with Margaret?

I think it was called Tree Lounge Trophies.

I came from a non-hunting family. I read a lot of Bowhunter Magazine, some Field and Stream. No hunting on TV, only had like 4 or 5 channels.

Swamp Fox

WKR
Hunting media was all magazines when I was growing up. Occasionally an outdoor column in the newspaper if somebody took something unusual, or traveled afar.

That led to seeking out books and collections of stories by the top-tier "outdoor writers" of the 19th and 20th century.

It was only "relatively recently" that I discovered outdoor video and the internet ... And I have to say most things in outdoor communication these days seem to be moving in the wrong direction ... LOL

I wouldn't say any of the above influenced me to "get into it." I was hard-wired and headed in this direction anyway. Fishing led to hunting, and I was a fishing fool before I had access to magazines.

But good outdoor writing did keep the fires burning.

grfox92

WKR

I came from a non-hunting family. I read a lot of Bowhunter Magazine, some Field and Stream. No hunting on TV, only had like 4 or 5 channels.
Oh yea. Still have some of them. I could never figure out where the hell they were hunting that they could shoot so many nice bucks.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

I remember watching Marlin PerkIns Wild Kingdom on tv early weekend mornings. We only got two TV channels growing up.
Reading Jack London White Fang and many others help influence the hunting itch that never went away.

Rich M

WKR
Hunting household here but i remeber seeing oconnor shoot rams at the local movie theater and marlin being caught on the sunday sports show that only dies football baseball stuff now.

Inread books and magazines.

Ok , i gotta come clean . I watched tree lounge trophies with Margaret . Her hand spinning dance and "whooping" drove me crazy . Dont tell anyone i whatched it . Lol