Hunting over carcass

tlav21

FNG
Has anyone had ever luck hunting coyotes over any sort of animal carcass if it's legal in your area? If so, is it any better than traditional calling and/or motion decoys?

wytx

WKR
Yes and it can be more productive but not always. Depends on how much pressure is on the coyotes already.

Maybe sit back a ways and call a bit too.

It can be very productive., especially at night. I bait quite a bit for coyotes and about 8 out of 10 will come to the carcass at night. Where I live, buzzards are numerous and they get the lions share but coyotes will come to the bones and smell that are left.
When possible, setup at least 100 yds from your bait with the wind in your favor. Trail cameras are a real asset to this style of hunting.

Last edited:
I've hunted over gut piles after tagging out but have rarely seen anything in the daytime other than ravens.

Some guys in SD kill a ton over dead piles at night. I think it’s probably a lot more effective if you have a continuous dead pile.

Dirtbag

WKR
Carcasses can be great, even in daylight at dawn and dusk. The biggest issue is you typically need multiple or a cow or horse carcass to make it worthwhile. If you do have access to that Just be sure to plan out a good approach downwind and out of sight into shooting range.

Travis907

WKR
Coyote hunting over carcasses can be very productive. Most coyotes hit the carcasses at night but if your property doesn’t have much pressure you will see them throughout the day especially near dawn and dusk. I used to drive around the county looking for roadkill deer and then contact your local law enforcement to get a possession permit for the carcass. I’d take the carcasses back to my same field hunting location and stake them down. I stake them down so the coyotes would not drag the carcasses away. When deer season is over and everything freezes up those carcasses will produce! Many coyotes have been killed with that setup!