Hunting pants for the vertically challenged?

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a recommendation for short inseam hunting pants. (male, 5’6”, typically wear 30x30s in street clothes)

I wore First Lite Obsidians last year for rifle elk. Size small is still a bit long. They were great on hot sunny climbs and freezing mornings, but sucked for durability through downed timber and I’d like to try something else this year (Idaho, rifle deer and elk).

Thanks.

Spoonbill

WKR
A non camo option is the Prana Zions. I have a pair and they are pretty nice and durable. I use them for hiking and upland mainly but a few buddies have used them for archery and rifle hunts in Idaho and swear by them. REI carries them too so you could try them on (assuming you are near one)

OP
R

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
Weston, agreed. My wife offered to hem the Obsidians, but they have a reinforced ankle cuff and I wasn’t certain it would workout. I should try to inspect other pants I can find locally to see if others look easier to work with.

Spoonbill, I’ve seen Prana on a few hunting retailer sites. I think I’ll need to check them out. Thanks.

fmyth

WKR
34x30 here. I have had Kuiu pants shortened up a bit for $20 by the seamstress at my local dry cleaner. Now I buy Wrangler stretch hiking pants, Outdoor Research Voodo's and Eddie Bauer Guides which are all available in 30" inseams. For rifle hunts in the cold months I have a pair of UA quilted down pants that fit great.

I hem all my pants, man. Did it recently for FL Guide Lites and Corrugate pants. I always figure it's the easiest way to get the size right. haha.

Those length specific features are tough. I wanted to buy some Kuiu axis or talus pants and just couldn't do it with their 34" standard inseam. I'd be wearing ankle guards.. My pranas fit like a dream though! Very happy with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rj2

WKR
I wear 30x32 usually. My old wrangler outdoor pants fit great, like most of my other pants. I've got a few pairs of the new wrangler outdoor & atg pants, and the eddie bauer guides. They are all bigger than pretty much every other pair of 30x32 that I have. They feel more like 31x33. I have a pair of 29x30 of the new style wrangler outdoor i'd sell ya cheap, message me if you want to try them. They are pretty much identical to the eddie bauer guides.

MillCreekMike

Lil-Rokslider
It gets worse as the waist size goes up the inseam gets longer too. At 57 I don't have a 30" waist any more but still have the same short legs. My wife hems mine. She is working on getting the knee pads in my Kuiu Tallus pants to actually cover my knees in stead of my shins right now.

OP
R

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
I wear 30x32 usually. My old wrangler outdoor pants fit great, like most of my other pants. I've got a few pairs of the new wrangler outdoor & atg pants, and the eddie bauer guides. They are all bigger than pretty much every other pair of 30x32 that I have. They feel more like 31x33. I have a pair of 29x30 of the new style wrangler outdoor i'd sell ya cheap, message me if you want to try them. They are pretty much identical to the eddie bauer guides.

What material are the wranglers made from? Nylon/poly or are they a denim/cotton base?

29 waist is probably iffy. Like Millcreek‘s problem above, the 30 inch waist is a constant work in progress, and I can usually slip into 29s only when Im in peak shape.

Both the Prana and the Wrangker suggestion is a reminder to look for muted color outdoor pants. Tripping over my own ankles will spook more critters than the lack of the latest greatest camo pattern.

rj2

WKR
What material are the wranglers made from? Nylon/poly or are they a denim/cotton base?

29 waist is probably iffy. Like Millcreek‘s problem above, the 30 inch waist is a constant work in progress, and I can usually slip into 29s only when Im in peak shape.

Both the Prana and the Wrangker suggestion is a reminder to look for muted color outdoor pants. Tripping over my own ankles will spook more critters than the lack of the latest greatest camo pattern.

95% nylon, 5% spandex. i'll pm ya some pics

TBHasler

WKR
Sitka has many models in 30” length
Kuiu attacks come in short version now and would be close to 30” length.
For summer/early season check out black ovis brand lightweight pants - they come in 30” length are solid colors and now come in 4 different colors (camofire has these every once in a while like 20-25% off).
Good luck

OP
R

Runwilderness

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks. Sitka and Kuiu both seem to list 31” as the inseam length for 30W. Of course FL claims 28-30 for the size S pants I’m thinking of replacing.

Of course the clothing industry loves to make us think that are waists are narrow, are legs are long, and our tape measures are broken. I’ll keep looking to see what I can find locally to try on. All the input has been appreciated.

A few things...I hate relying on other people to do things for me and I also hate wearing pants that don't fit correctly. I'm apparently not growing anymore at 38.....So I swallowed my pride, bought a sewing machine and learned how to sew. Prana used to make 28" inseams in the Zion pant, which fit me perfect. But if you learn how to sew its really a 15 minute job to hem up some pants. Pants with zippers on the lower legs take an hour or two, but not as difficult as you might think.

C.payne

WKR
It has been said already but the Prana Stretch Zion is hard to beat for the fit, comfort, durability and the price. I live in BC and have 4 pairs. From BC and Alberta bushwhacking to a night out they are very versatile. And for us vertically challenged community the option of a true 28” and 30” inseam is a major plus.