Hunting Public Land

dylaneh

FNG
Hey everyone,

‘I have been turkey hunting now for about 16 years since I was about 5 years old. I know people might say I didnt learn much when I was 5 but I think I learned a lot and have gained a lot of experience, especially mostly solo hunting and for the past 4 year's. However, all of my hunting experience has been on private or leased lands never on public land. This Year because of where I am for school and stuff I am going to try and hunt public land for turkeys. Does anyone have any recommendations on what I can do different on public land? Basically any tips, tricks, and advice would be appreciated.

I can't speak for turkey specifically, but in general scout a lot more and spend more time in the area. Try to find access points and places where other people won't go, doesn't have to be distance but overlooked areas and such. Having said that I've called turkey in from very long distances, one I remember had to be pushing a mile away.

flathead#2

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of scouting, be where the Turkey want to be before they get there, light clucks and purrs.
Longer sits.
Mid day and afternoons are often productive after everyone has left.

Kurts86

WKR
It depends where you are. Public land turkey pressure is quite a bit higher in the Southeast than the Great Plains. As such, the difference from private land turkey hunting is a spectrum.

The only main difference with public land turkeys is that a loud fired up bird is not a good thing because it will attract other hunters. Otherwise it’s the same, you just need to be better scouted, have birds roosted and setup tight on them early in the season.

The idea of getting away from people doesn’t work as well with turkeys. It can be done but it isn’t the default playbook. They inherently like riparian areas, ag, etc and they don’t hang out in an Avalanche shoot at 11k like a bull elk under pressure.

There is a public land pressure threshold where turkeys just aren’t fun anymore.

180ls1

WKR
Treat it the same as any other big game. I pack in 3-4 miles and there is still pressure, locally.

I echo the scouting more as others have stated. It depends on the size of the properties, geography, terrain as well that you hunt. I hunt Wisconsin/MN/IL so take this with a grain of salt and apply what works to your geography/situatuon: If it is feasible to do so, checking out spots early morning before school/work to listen for gobbles is a good way to get an idea of where birds are at. If there is decent ag land/fields surrounding public, I always drive around during a light rain. Turkeys end up in fields with precipitation often times and this has been an easy and very consistent way to spot them. If I see birds in a field next to some public then that is an immediate spot to scout/listen for gobbles/hunt.

I was in the same boat as you about 7 years ago.
Started hunting national forest and have been successful. The biggest key for me is being patient. Didn't hear many gobbles early on, but was successful by sitting in a likely area where I saw turkey sign. Light clucks and purrs every 15 minutes or so with a yelp in between. I've had birds appear out of nowhere on top of me. I've also had them respond a few hundred yards away, allowing me to close the distance and call them in.

If you're in school still and have some days where your class schedule starts later, I'd try to get out in the middle of the week as best as possible. That will help alleviate hunter pressure and give you more room to breath.

I'd also be very judicious when using decoys on public. I will typically only use a hen decoy, never a tom decoy, and will occasionally gobble back at hung up toms, but only when I'm certain there are no other hunters in the area.

Practice some etiquette too. If someone's clearly working a bird, don't try to cut them off. Just sit patient and listen. They may booger the bird toward you.