Hunting scope ~$500

First post here but have been a longtime observer. I am ready to take the leap into a decent rifle/scope set up that is consistent. I have had a chance to read Form's testing and see that SHV, Trijicon and SWFA seem to be the default.
I am trying to stay around $500 or less which limits some of the options.
I have looked at the Trijicon Credo 3X9, Meopta 5, and Vortex Viper 4x16. I really like the idea of tehCredo, but am a little concerned the max 9 power will make me wish I had opted for a little more power.
Primarily this will be a hunting rifle/scope with shots less than 300 yards. I would like the capability to shoot 500 at the range at some point.
I really like the idea of illuminated reticles

Rifle - I am looking at the Weatherby Talon in 308 as of now.
Scope Rings - any recommendations on type and height?

fmyth

WKR
I have the SWFA 6x on several rifles and have shot mule deer out to 300 and steel at 500 no problem. My hunting partner has the SWFA 6x on his rifle and I watched him shoot a mule deer this season at 400yds with 1 shot. Based on my personal experience the SWFA 6x would be a great choice. No personal experience with the other choices you listed.

270quest

WKR
A different option - scour ebay/classifieds and find a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40....Tremendous scopes that can be had for $350-450. Obviously not a dialing type setup, but a very good general hunting optic.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
The Talon looks like a great platform. The Trijicon Huron 3-9 is a steal at $299 if you want a simple 3-9x40

I have huge admiration for the 6x only crowd but that has never been my cup of tea. I like the field of view that 2 or 3x gets me on the low end... plus, I like some magnification (generally above 9x) to verify any brush etc. between me and the target or just getting a closer look once I am on the rifle. If I was in your shoes and looking to stay under $500, I would get the Huron at $299 and buy more ammo for some extra practice.

bnsafe

WKR
I got the trijicon accupoint 3x9x40 this year. My only thought with it is if they made it in a 3x9x50 it would be awesome. Now, I dont dial, but, if your shots are 300 and in, not sure dialing is gonna help you.
Lots of good reviews on here about the credo, that might be your best bet.

OP
BrokenPaddle
A different option - scour ebay/classifieds and find a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40....Tremendous scopes that can be had for $350-450. Obviously not a dialing type setup, but a very good general hunting optic.
I had not considered the used route. Is there anything in particular to stay away from when looking at second hand?

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I've been very happy with my Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 (here's one for sale) mounted on my 30-06 Browning X-bolt with Leupold Backcountry rings for the last three seasons. I primarily backcountry hunt in Alaska and the scope has taken a lot of knocks without losing zero. The reticle hash marks provide useful holdovers for the TTSX 168 and 180 gr bullets I shoot (~190 yds, ~240 yds, and ~305 yds). Zoom range is useful beyond the ~300 yds range I'm comfortable shooting an animal, and I certainly don't need to dial in elevation within this range. The capped turrets are well protected from impacts and the turrets have a nice "click" when adjusting and are easy to re-set to "zero" after adjustments at the range. The scope is also reasonably light around 22 oz and the 44mm objective is nice and compact.
Bought the scope from Cabelas on sale with Active Junky Cashback bringing the total to around $460.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
There's this 3-9 Credo in the classifieds for under $500 right now. 9X is perfectly usable for 500+ yards. For your question about buying stuff second hand, just do the usual homework to not get scammed by people. Use the Goods and Services option for the 3% fee if you're nervous. Get pictures of the glass. Get pictures with handwritten notes in them etc.

Aside from that, in your price range, I wouldn't hesitate to run a 6x or 10x SWFA again like others have mentioned.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Here's the big game animals I've been able to kill with my Tikka .260 and SWFA fixed 6 over the last two years since I swapped to that scope... Pay attention to the yardages. I've also killed over 200 coyotes, furthest kill at just past 850 yards.

.Whitetail (Buck) 223 Yards
.Whitetail (Doe) 229 Yards
.Whitetail (Doe) 50ish Yards
.Whitetail (Doe) 30ish Yards
.Coues Deer (Buck) 538 Yards
.Couse Deer (Buck) 486 Yards
.Elk (Bull) 573 Yards
.Elk (Cow) 60ish Yards
.Antelope (Buck) 578 Yards
.Elk (Bull) 655 Yards
.Whitetail (Buck) 543 Yards
.Whitetail (Doe) 263 Yards
.Whitetail (Doe) 206 Yards
.Whitetail (Doe) 80ish Yards

Last edited:

KenLee

WKR
The Talon looks like a great platform. The Trijicon Huron 3-9 is a steal at $299 if you want a simple 3-9x40

I have huge admiration for the 6x only crowd but that has never been my cup of tea. I like the field of view that 2 or 3x gets me on the low end... plus, I like some magnification (generally above 9x) to verify any brush etc. between me and the target or just getting a closer look once I am on the rifle. If I was in your shoes and looking to stay under $500, I would get the Huron at $299 and buy more ammo for some extra practice.
How is that reticle in low light? Looks thin

Sightron stac is a good option. Illuminated and zero stop. I like mine for long range targets and hunting. Only downside is the finer crosshair on the lower power settings.

zusmc

FNG
For your desired range, nothing over a 3x9x40 is necessary. Leupold glass is my favorite and SFP is all you need for hunting applications. I also like how light the Leupolds are and love the firedot reticle for low light hunting conditions.

270quest

WKR

I have never used or even looked thru a Trijicon scope so maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but per the spec sheet, it shows Eye Relief list at 2.5"-3.7"? That seems pretty damn short on 9x?

TheHammer

WKR
I love my 2.5-10x44 vipers. Have had very good luck with them. Relatively light weight as well. Can get them on sale sub 400$ would do everything you need. Rings the vtx precision rings are made by seekins.

That’s the setup on this 308 and it has been in several states with great success.

Attachments

• IMG_2865.jpeg
    IMG_2865.jpeg
    847.9 KB · Views: 21
I have never used or even looked thru a Trijicon scope so maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but per the spec sheet, it shows Eye Relief list at 2.5"-3.7"? That seems pretty damn short on 9x?

I purchased and used a Huron for this deer season in Wisconsin, couldn't pass up the deal. Mounted on my Tikka, the eye relief was no issue and the reticle was great in the hardwoods in Wisconsin from sun up to sun down.

I have no issues with eye relief on 9x with my Huron