Hunting scope ~$500

First post here but have been a longtime observer. I am ready to take the leap into a decent rifle/scope set up that is consistent. I have had a chance to read Form's testing and see that SHV, Trijicon and SWFA seem to be the default.
I am trying to stay around $500 or less which limits some of the options.
I have looked at the Trijicon Credo 3X9, Meopta 5, and Vortex Viper 4x16. I really like the idea of tehCredo, but am a little concerned the max 9 power will make me wish I had opted for a little more power.
Primarily this will be a hunting rifle/scope with shots less than 300 yards. I would like the capability to shoot 500 at the range at some point.
I really like the idea of illuminated reticles

Rifle - I am looking at the Weatherby Talon in 308 as of now.
Scope Rings - any recommendations on type and height?

I think a 3-9 would be fine for those distances, and come in at less weight and size than bigger options. My recommendation would be the trijicon with talley rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Credo 3-9x40 is a fantastic scope. My only caution is that if you have a rifle with a 90 degree bolt throw, there can be bolt clearance issues. I also have an Optika 5 and can recommend them as well.

BLJ

WKR
There's this 3-9 Credo in the classifieds for under $500 right now. 9X is perfectly usable for 500+ yards. For your question about buying stuff second hand, just do the usual homework to not get scammed by people. Use the Goods and Services option for the 3% fee if you're nervous. Get pictures of the glass. Get pictures with handwritten notes in them etc.

Aside from that, in your price range, I wouldn't hesitate to run a 6x or 10x SWFA again like others have mentioned.
I’ll have to agree with him on this. 😁