Hunting Supressed

D-String

FNG
For those of you who hunt suppressed, do you leave the suppressor attached while packing in to your backcountry hunting area, or do you use a quick attach system and keep the van in your pack?

I have been shooting suppressed for a few years on a couple long range rifles, but have just recently received a lighter weight suppressor from “jail”, with the plans to use it on my light weight hunting rifles. I have the new loads worked up with the new suppressor and love the increase in accuracy and the fact that my ears will be better protected (I always forget or don’t take the time to put in plugs in the heat of the moment). However, I am worried about the extra length and maneuvering in the woods, and about unintentionally damaging the barrel threads if I leave the suppressor off until I need it.
Thanks in advance for your advice and wisdom!

I've done both, but usually just leave it on anymore. If I'm packing in some distance, the gun is usually strapped to my pack and it's not a big deal to have it on. I have taken it off when crawling through the alders on a goat hunting approach and one or two other times. Once I'm hunting, it just stays on. Caveat is that I'm using a 18.5" barrel. If yours is longer, it could get annoying.

For thread protection on my DT, I usually just do a couple wraps of electrical tape. I like to keep the muzzle covered, so an extra wrap around the threads is easy, then I just try not to bang my barrel on the rocks more than I have too. Clearly not a solution if you want to attach/detach quickly, but that hasn't been an issue for my uses.

I just leave it on. You never know when you may need to take a quick shot. I even have quick disconnect for my can and I still leave it on. The extra length is not that big of a deal.

Subscribed. I just got my first suppressor and am wondering about taking it on an elk hunt this year. Good to see others hunting with theirs.

J.Davis

FNG
I take it off, but that more to do with a 26” barrel and 8” can. The gun alone isn’t fun in alders or swamps. Shorter barrels are a lot easier to manage but anything over 22” gets a little annoying trying to hike in.

Know your POI shift with and without the suppressor. There are a lot of good ones on the market and almost all are consistent in the POI shift. Once you do, you can adjust how you carry the gun in depending on likelihood of encountering game and whether the geography or foliage will be a problem.

WKR
Leave it on always. My two primary hunting rigs are chopped at 18" and overall is only 24" with suppressor. Taking a 23" out these days and seeing if I can hunt with it. Should work fine for prairie whitetails and antelope a bit longer.

Pootros

FNG
I leave mine on as well but keep in mind that if you have a traditional sling, it becomes a real PITA. You will be fighting it most of the day as the rifle becomes pretty “top” heavy. A gun bearer or something like that is a better option.

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I run a 7” can on 24” barrels. The can stays on full time. If you’re willing to take a shot w/o it, then why bother packing it? It’s quicker to throw in some plugs than to try and “quick attach” a suppressor. I use it in competitions frequently and maneuver in and out of much tighter spots than I ever have while hunting. One thing that helps while it’s strapped to my pack- a folding stock. With the stock folded, my rifle is now 10” shorter and sticks up less than an unsuppressed rifle w/o a folder.

blackdog

Lil-Rokslider
New build is going to feature a 22" barrel, 6" can, and a folding stock. Should be manageable to carry or strap to the pack with the can on in just about any situation so I plan to leave it on all the time.

nazca

FNG
I'm about to buy a hunting rifle with the intention of adding a 7" can. Ive been debating if I should go the folding stock route, but this thread seems to answer that question.

For a non-folding option, I was thinking something along the lines of a Weatherby Accumark Elite.
For a folding option I've been eyeing the Christensen MPR.

HuntnPack

WKR
I’ll be using a short/lightweight suppressor
& the plan is to leave it on. My barrel will be 20”-21”, & the can only adds 4.5”& 7oz.
Should work really well.

I leave it on my rifle's 26" barrel strapped to my pack. Folding stock MPR. Yes, a little long. Yes, a lot ready. New rifles' plan for shorter barrels.

I take mine off if I am hiking thru the brush, but out in the open country I leave it on. 24 inch barrel and a nine inch suppressor is a long combo for swinging and shooting.

Curtass

FNG
I leave mine one while hunting. Though it is long and annoying going through the bush and what-not. But I figure that I have it, might as well keep it on and deal with it rather then trying to fumble around and pull it out and quickly put it on when I need it. My luck is I would cross thread it while in the "heat of the moment"!