Hunting trailer setup

Looking for some input on a travel trailer/hunting basecamp setup. I’m PCSing across country unfortunately and I’m going to buy a trailer for the move. After the move, I’ll be using the trailer for a hunting trailer to haul my four wheeler, coolers, gear, etc. I’m looking for some input from guys that tow their own trailers(size, V or flat nose, brands, etc) on what has worked for them. I’ll be pulling this with a ‘17 ram 1500 gasser. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a one man setup A Liner evolution small light toy hauler. Aliner stopped production in 2016 but i see a few for sale on RV Trader. So far my setup has been working fine. This year i will be in hunting CO for a month off grid

Mosby

WKR
I have a small, round top, enclosed 5 x 8 trailer that I use for hunting. In the process of customizing it with tie downs and hangers for tree stands, etc. It is big enough to fit coolers, tents and equipment for a 3-4 people. Wanted a minimal size to make towing easier and mileage better. I got a drop down ramp in the back(vs doors) so I can load my Yamaha Grizzly. I went as small as I could, to make towing long distances easier. I didn't get a V nose because I read that they really don't provide better mileage but who knows. I didn't want a flat roof either. It also has two doors, to provide easy access loading and unloading. I have a Chevy Colorado diesel and they work well together.
I previously had a large 18 foot utility trailer and while I could load half a town in it, it was too big the majority of the time. My next purchase will be a small, insulated RV. Probably a 17' fiberglass. Between those two trailers, I will be able to go where ever I want, until I am too old to go.

Biggest thing is get an RV latch on the side door.
The wider 36" side door is handy as well.
V Nose does pull better and that is also a good spot to pull a propane bottle.
Weld a couple pieces of chain link to strap your propane and cots to the wall.
Make sure it has a roof vent and put a Maxx air cover on it.
Drop down ramp door.
It takes 14ft to put 2 quads nose to tail.
But that usually ends up in a dual axle trailer so that doubles maintenance.
If money isn't as much of a concern I'd go with a. 8.5x16 car trailer style that way you have plenty of room with cots side by side.
Mount a battery for lights when it's not hooked to truck but charges while going down road.
Use a car battery charger to charge up off gen if in same spot for extended time.
Get a blue flame wall heater.
Hope that helps.

Beendare

WKR
About all I can piggyback on BR's post;

The best combo hunting trailers I've seen are multi purpose and flexible. So for example they haul ATV's ...but then have fold down bunks for sleeping. They make it indoor/outdoor living with a big awning or tent attached...and of course, Insulate the crap out of it.

Mike7

WKR
Agree with above. Side lockable RV type door is essential. Prefer barn doors on the back and using fold up ramps to load ATV.

V-nose and aluminum body seem to pull easier. 5x10 V-nose (what I have now) barely fits a medium size ATV and all camping gear. 6x12 (what I had previously) is still maneuverable and is more versatile for everday duties, but a little harder to navigate on mountain roads or lift off the vehicle and rotate around if you start to get stuck on a slick hill...not that this ever happened to me.

Skyhigh

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 2010 Ram 1500 and can haul my 16ft vnose trailer just fine in the mountains while loaded up. I don't know if I would want to go much bigger than that. I can't say much for camping in it, but your vehicle will haul a 16ft just fine. I would highly recommend putting e-track in it. e-track is probably the best cargo management system I have used personally while working as a furniture delivery worker, it would essentially do what the welded chain would do that was suggested earlier, but looks cleaner, less intrusive, easier to organize, and easier to install (just need screws, drill bit, drill).

I'm a fan of the e-track as well. Easy to install and super handy. Locking side door, roof vent, and the ramp rear door are the main features I wanted. I also wanted a dual axle with the idea that if I get a flat I'd still have one good tire on that side so that I could stop and change it without too much drama.

OP
mountainman406
Thanks for all the replies, BRT it sounds like you have it all figured out and explained almost everything that’s on my list of things that I’d like in the trailer.

OP
mountainman406
I have a 2010 Ram 1500 and can haul my 16ft vnose trailer just fine in the mountains while loaded up. I don't know if I would want to go much bigger than that. I can't say much for camping in it, but your vehicle will haul a 16ft just fine. I would highly recommend putting e-track in it. e-track is probably the best cargo management system I have used personally while working as a furniture delivery worker, it would essentially do what the welded chain would do that was suggested earlier, but looks cleaner, less intrusive, easier to organize, and easier to install (just need screws, drill bit, drill).

Thanks for the suggestion, I was going to just have D rings on the floors but after reading this I’ll be getting some E-track installed as well.

My dad and bro have both built them.
They both did a large 4d equipment battery under the floor and built in shore power. And a microwave.
Dad also did fold up counters with removable legs.
But to keep it less overwhelming.
Select the size you think is optimal.
Rv latch.
Maxx air vent.
Ohh and 15" wheels.
Heaviest tire you can get for a 14 is a 6ply. We have run into shoving gravel straight thru the tread of 6plys brand new.
8plys make a lot of difference. That is on a larger 27ft trailer.
But if u get 15s 1st go keep from having to buy wheels if you end up needing 8plys.

Then you can keep upgrading as you go