Husqvarna 1640 Replacement Stock Options

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
A couple days ago, I was able to purchase a Husqvarna 1640 in .30-06. I haven't picked the gun up yet but plan to replace the wooden stock with something synthetic. Like many, I had no idea Husqvarna ever made rifles, but after some research, it seems the 1640 is built on an "improved Mauser 98" action and is supposed to be a pretty decent shooter. With that being said, I have no real gunsmithing experience to include modifying, improving, or anything else to a stock. I would like to find something that is as close to bolt on as possible. My understanding is that the 640 is the Mauser 98 large ring, but the 1640 is a small ring with the 98 mount bolt spacing. If any of this is incorrect or if anyone has any additional information, please let me know.

I intend to use this rifle for deer hunting at some point and don't want the possibly original stock to get any more wear and tear.

Thanks.

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
I found a couple older threads on these so I was hoping to get some responses.

Wapiti1

WKR
The 1640 is mostly a small ring 98, but does have some differences, particularly the bolt stop, tang and bottom metal. The alloy bottom metal is very different. That said, a 98 small ring or large ring stock can be made to fit the 1640.

There are no ready made options for a stock that I am aware of, so you are going to have to do some work to make it fit unless you want to send it off. Best option is a large ring 98 synthetic stock made of fiberglass (not one of the tupperware ones).

Glass bed the 1640 into it, sand and paint it. Bottom metal will need to be inlet by tracing the HVA metal onto the stock and inletting with a dremel, chisels, or milling machine. Since you are painting, this doesn't need to be pretty, and you can glass in the bottom metal as well.

It's not hard to do, but could seem daunting at first.

Jeremy

OP
J

JLeMieux

Lil-Rokslider
It's still on the rifle. I haven't put a new one on it yet. I intend to keep the old one when I do.