I am considering a Multitool for my hunts. Talk me out of it.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
I use a Havalon and my Benchmade knife. Pretty much the exact setup Aron was running.

As far as the havalon, I put it on most of the way and lightly push against a branch or something. Never had an issue and never used a multi tool. It might not be the smartest thing Haha but it works fine

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Oh not worried about swapping blades, I don't see how folks have a problem swapping blades with their hands its not really that hard and you don't really have to even get close to the cutting part of the blade to do it. Just wondering how you break the joints apart. My multitool is 4.5 oz...I know the benchmades are slightly less, but a havalon and a bench made isn't nearly as useful as a havalon and a multitool. The pliers on a multitool are handy for skinning out the heads of critter as you can really grip the hide when working between the horns/antlers I have found atleast and worth the extra 2-2.5 oz...for me atleast, but you've probably skinned out a lot more critters than me so I need the extra help of the pliers for skinning out the heads of the capes I save.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Honestly bro I've never caped out a head. Just cut antlers and go. Never kept a mount. The Benchmade actually works great if your boning out. I'd say I use the benchmade 95% of the time. Just skin it off quick and debone. Everyone is different in this arena I think and I guess this works for me. My best friend in AZ that I grew up hunting with using a Cutco and a multi tool for everything. Tried for years to talk me into the multi tool but it just never caught on with me

luke moffat

Super Moderator
HAHA no worries....just haul out the whole head or do you pack a havalon. benchmad, AND a saw??? Heck if you never keep a cape you'll be weight ahead hauling a 8 oz saw along and hacking off hte antlers then...or if you are just gonna do a euro learning how to skin out a head so you can drop the lower jaw....not much weight savings there if you are hauling out the heads whole. :D Just gotta work for you, but certainly not saving any weight when you get a critter over a multitool or even a saw.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
It is pretty easy to change a Havalon blade without a tool and without endangering yourself.

Don't need a saw to remove the head. I cut around the bone and then do the old twist a roo. And off pops the head.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
Yup works on elk. Cut the hide to the skull, cut the connective tissue of the last vertebrae from the skull and twist, cut a lil more if needed and twist till the skull seperates from the spin. Actually a very quick process

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Just realized you guys were talking about removing the whole head....I thought you were talking about removing the antlers each at the skull to give two separate antlers.....yeah I'd much rather haul a 8 oz saw to cut off the skull cap than haul out a 10-15 pound head attached to those already heavy elk antlers! If you are gonna Euro dropping the weight of the jaw bone drop quite a bit of weight as well and doesn't even require a saw.

Done the head of the last vertebrate thing a few times if the pack haul isn't that far, but if its a ways your are time and effort ahead just taking the skull cap...MUCH lighter!

Ok back to the regularly scheduled programming about multitools vs. hauling a single stout fixed blade....;)

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I just cut at the first vertebrae also, and as Justin said, the "old twist-er-roo."

I take the whole skull for Euro mounts.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
I am not buying one. I can get the blades off pretty easy without using my hands. I don't want one more thing I have to remember to pack or carry.