I dont understand the hostility towards wolf reintroduction in Colorado

MattB

WKR
tell me more. send some links bruv. i want to see what youre seeing
Preservationists/ARA’s want wolves to replace hunters as the balancing mechanism in the food chain. As a hunter, you can’t understand the hostility toward the mechanism of those with an agenda to eliminate sport hunting?

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Bro, Bruv, Homie and Dawg is how you’re referring to people responding to your post? Without reviewing the material presented? It’s obvious you didn’t research anything prior to the post just to fill a boring Tuesday for you. And also obvious you have no respect for those responding.
See what wolves have done to Idaho and Washington elk herds. If you’re still supportive or confused after that then I’m not sure what to say. I think you’re just here to argue without actually taking anything in.
hey man thats how i would address my friends and people that i casually talk to. you you prefer sir? dear leader? asshole ? its casual and informal conversation. bro

Dos XX

WKR
i am not educated enough on the ecology and the actual impact of different wolf sub species on wild life or the ecosystem.
There we have it. Why bother with actual knowledge? Notice I said knowledge, not information.

Braaap

WKR
@Loo.wii wolves wont be managed and i think thats the lense you have to look through when thinking about this topic. Could wolves exist in a balanced management structure? Maybe. With our current wildlife management/politics the answer is no way. Wolves are highly emotional for certain groups of people and they will fight to keep any sort of realistic management plan shutdown. Look at horses. Not a predator but super destructive to native flora and fauna and no F-info way they will ever be managed appropriately.

wyogoat

WKR
hey man thats how i would address my friends and people that i casually talk to. you you prefer sir? dear leader? asshole ?
I think this attitude is why you’re getting the responses you are. It’s obvious you aren’t gaining anything or reading up on the material you’ve requested. This is for the response is all.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the comment. What angle does your opposition to wolves stem from. is it the ranching angle?
Ranching and hunting, I used to work with alot of ranchers all over Western Montana, saw the issues they had with wolves, especially during calving season, and on summer pasture. It can be very difficult to get reimbursement from wolf predation if you don't find the kill immediately, which you don't when they are on summer pasture.

I also have guided all over Idaho and Montana, and have seen the negative impact on elk and moose specifically. In my experience they don't hit the deer as hard, also in my experience, the elk seem to figure it out and rebound to some extent, but it takes a decade or more. I know there are alot of areas in NW Montana that the elk seemed to get hit especially hard, that seem to be having a much harder time rebounding. You definitely need to drastically change tactics in areas with a heavy wolf presence.

CorbLand

WKR
So a guy obviously new to hunting comes on and asks for different perspectives, and the majority of the responses are the opposite of helpful, sarcastic, bashing, and in many cases rude.

He has had some sarcastic responses, (like many from the rest of you), but has admitted he doesn't have all the info and stated multiple times he would look into points people brought up.

I think the bashing and general assholeness of most of the responses on here are ridiculous and pitiful. Why not explain your perspective and try to educate in a non confrontational way.

For the record, I do not support the wolf reintroduction, and am no fan of wolves. But lets try something new and not be a bunch of dicks with someone who admittedly lacks perspective.
I mean generally when you are trying to learn, you take the information and perspectives from people and research them. You dont ask people to provide the research they read to back their response. You do that when people provide an opinion that differs from yours, not when you are trying to learn.

When you start breaking out "homie," "bruh," etc that is also a dead give away that you arent really trying to learn or have an intelligent conversation. Even if that is how you talk in real life, knowing your audience is helpful. I use those words too but when I call you homie, its not a term of endearment.

alecvg

Lil-Rokslider
I will also add that I think most these folks are correct, we will never get a season to hunt or trap wolves in Colorado. Even when you do, they are a very difficult animal to hunt or trap. I know a handful of guys who have some consistent success, but they dedicate a tremendous amount of time and money to it.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
I think this attitude is why you’re getting the responses you are. It’s obvious you aren’t gaining anything or reading up on the material you’ve requested. This is for the response is all.
i have certianly been reading it. ive also become more aware of the impact on livestock. for example I became aware of the difficulties durrng the reimbursement process for ranchers.

UncleBone

WKR
@Loo.wii Take a look at where the money for the ballot initiative came from in the first place. That is a big part of why it passed, and should scare anyone who has any idea of what the global elite wants for the rest of the world
Screenshot_20240116_105314_Samsung Internet.jpg

jtevanMT

Lil-Rokslider
Like many on this string, I have lived through the wolf re-introduction in MT and personally experienced a dramatic decrease in hunting opportunities and a decimated elk/moose populations in areas where wolves became over populated. Some of these area have rebounded when a hunting/trapping season were introduced for wolves, while others have not recovered. YES, I am biased because I enjoy hunting with friends and family and filling my freezer. Others (guides, outfitters, ranchers) have lost their jobs.

Here are some graphs representing the impacts on the Northern Yellowstone elk herd following the wolf re-introduction. (from: Aspen recruitment in the Yellowstone region linked to
reduced herbivory after large carnivore restoration, Painter et al, Ecosphere, Aug 2018.)

1705428047508.png

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
I will also add that I think most these folks are correct, we will never get a season to hunt or trap wolves in Colorado. Even when you do, they are a very difficult animal to hunt or trap. I know a handful of guys who have some consistent success, but they dedicate a tremendous amount of time and money to it.
im curious. on the critical mass of wolves that need to exist to cause some of the worst case scenario situations that some individuals are describing. In my hypothetical imagine if there are and could only ever be 10 wolves in Colorado. would there be a significant impact? now 100, 1000 etc. im not asking you im just working through the idea in my head. how many wolves would it take to cause serious issue?

im curious. on the critical mass of wolves that need to exist to cause some of the worst case scenario situations that some individuals are describing. In my hypothetical imagine if there are and could only ever be 10 wolves in Colorado. would there be a significant impact? now 100, 1000 etc. im not asking you im just working through the idea in my head. how many wolves would it take to cause serious issue?
Oregon has a minimum population of around 172 wolves

Fish and wildlife house to kill packs that target livestock every single year

If I remember correctly, all 10 of the wolves we were gracious enough to trap and relocate to Colorado. We’re all problem wolves that would’ve needed to be shot anyways.

Last edited:

Ucsdryder

WKR
Wich people have been convinced the outdoors are only for certain people?

Who convinced them?
Golfers don’t want more golfers

Snowboarders don’t want more snowboarders

Concert goers don’t want more concert goers

Surfers don’t want more surfers

Why can’t hunter not want more hunters?

Don’t tell me we need to grow our sport or it’ll get voted out…we’re a tiny fraction of the voting community and we can double or triple the outdoor community and it’ll have ZERO outcome at the ballot box.

Walmart Greeter

Lil-Rokslider
Golfers don’t want more golfers

Snowboarders don’t want more snowboarders

Concert goers don’t want more concert goers

Surfers don’t want more surfers

Why can’t hunter not want more hunters?

Don’t tell me we need to grow our sport or it’ll get voted out…we’re a tiny fraction of the voting community and we can double or triple the outdoor community and it’ll have ZERO outcome at the ballot box.
These forums are the worst thing for hunting cause it gives anti hunters something tangible to use for their agendas.