I filled my tag, but not really

Dschwan

WKR
Any one shot a deer with black bone marrow? I shot this deer in the morning of september 5. West River South Dakota archery. Air temp was in the 50’s. once I got up to the deer I could see its backbone he was so skinny. I figured the winter was harder than i thought. Got it quartered and on ice with in the hour and headed back east and dropped the meat off at the processor Wednesday morning. They called to inform me that the meat and bone marrow were both black and recommended that I don’t eat it and i agreed. Has anyone else seen this. I contacted the GF&P in hopes to get a new tag but I’m SOL.

You can see how narrow the face is.
I guess I’m just a little disappointed.

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    642.4 KB · Views: 309
OP
D

Dschwan

WKR
That's too bad, if you could get a warden involved to inspect the carcass you may have a chance to get a replacement tag.
i talked to him and all he told me that there hasn’t been any reports of sick deer and I was informed by the state licensing office that they do not reissue licenses. I may contact the local biologist to see if they could find anything out from the scull. At this point I am just curious.

Antares

WKR
Apologies for being blunt, but it's naïve to think that a replacement tag would be issued. You had a tag to kill a deer and you killed a deer, that's the end of it. Being unhappy with the deer you decided to take and then wanting a do-over is unrealistic. Game management agency generally do not have the resources to accommodate that level of case-by-case nuance.

I feel for you. I shot a doe last year, right at last light so I didn't get a great look at her. She ended up being in terrible condition. She was emaciated, smelled bad, and had a prolapsed vagina. Anyway, I was disappointed not to get the meat, but I just told myself she needed to be culled anyway.

Legend

WKR
Any one shot a deer with black bone marrow? I shot this deer in the morning of september 5. West River South Dakota archery. Air temp was in the 50’s. once I got up to the deer I could see its backbone he was so skinny. I figured the winter was harder than i thought. Got it quartered and on ice with in the hour and headed back east and dropped the meat off at the processor Wednesday morning. They called to inform me that the meat and bone marrow were both black and recommended that I don’t eat it and i agreed. Has anyone else seen this. I contacted the GF&P in hopes to get a new tag but I’m SOL.

You can see how narrow the face is.
I guess I’m just a little disappointed.
I have seen sick animals taken in Montana. Both intentionally (put them out of their suffering) and unintentionally (like in your case). In both situations MTFWP replaced the tag as you were doing the population or the individual animal a favor. The only catch was you had to turn over everything including the antlers. This, in my opinion, is the appropriate response.

I would push it up the chain of command if I was you.

packer58

WKR
I have seen sick animals taken in Montana. Both intentionally (put them out of their suffering) and unintentionally (like in your case). In both situations MTFWP replaced the tag as you were doing the population or the individual animal a favor. The only catch was you had to turn over everything including the antlers. This, in my opinion, is the appropriate response.

I was just about to follow up with my Colorado story but mine ended exactly like yours, it's been a few years back. I had shot a buck and unknowingly the whole ass end was turning gangrene due to a prior season gunshot wound, trying to do the right thing i call Fish and wildlife ..........they dispatched a warden to our camp and he issued me another tag with the caveat that he takes the carcass head and all ............ So, it does happen ....

Edited for clarity .......

Last edited:
OP
D

Dschwan

WKR

I talked to the licensing office for clarification and they will only reinstate preference points and eligibility for future draws but not issue a new tag if CWD is detected. Like you stated, hand over everything from the animal. Again, this is for South Dakota.

I guess my thought is what is the difference in throwing the meat away at home or just leaving the animal in the field.(I know it is illegal, its just a statement) I would have a hard time leaving an animal in the field and looking over my shoulder for the warden but also hate having to throw it away at home too.

So for this year my west river deer tag is notched. I am happy with the hunt but ultimately disappointed in the freezer.

KurtR

WKR
i talked to him and all he told me that there hasn’t been any reports of sick deer and I was informed by the state licensing office that they do not reissue licenses. I may contact the local biologist to see if they could find anything out from the scull. At this point I am just curious.
I shot a deer a few years back it was green in the hind quarters . Warden came over took it and gave me another tag. I think it depends on the wardens as I have heard of others that would not do it.