I HATE my RCBS chargemaster.

OP
Wildstreak

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
Mine works great. How do you know it’s not working right? Are you remeasuring on another scale?
Well…when my desired charge weight is 42.0 grains and it charges 42.4 grains I think that’s a pretty clear indicator that it’s not working…

Dos XX

WKR
I had a CM 10 years or so ago. I found the scale to be inaccurate, up to .5 grain. It might show 42.5, but when you measured it on a beam scale or on my FX120i, it might weigh 42 or 43. So, by looking at it work, I thought I had a good charge, but I didn't.

I did win some matches loading of that thing, though.

Lawnboi

WKR
When it over throws, do you dump it back in the hopper and start over? It seems so easy to me to just grab a small pinch of a couple kernels and throw it in the top of the hopper.
I have. But it messes the whole process up as I do powder then seat.

Not a big deal for a few rounds but when I sit down and do a few hundred it’s a pain in the ass

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a 1500 in 2000. In 2009-10 It acted up. Called RCBS and they sent me a new one. Its still running to this day. I too pinch a few kernels now and then. I have it down to an art about how much to pinch. Lol

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
Did a little experiment. I have the autotrickler v4 setup but never got rid of my charge master lite.
Threw 100 charges of 38.0 h4350. This lite has no modifications, warmed up for 15 mins. Plugged into a surge charger in garage
Checked every 10th charge on an adfx120.
4 over charges, 1 under. The overs were easily dumped a kernel or 2 back into the hopper. The under trickled to 38.0. 44 mins, 59 with warm up.

View attachment 501914
What is that ammo box? I need one! :D

ID_Matt

WKR
I have. But it messes the whole process up as I do powder then seat.

Not a big deal for a few rounds but when I sit down and do a few hundred it’s a pain in the ass
I load in large quantities as well. Throw all powder, then seat. I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. Few seconds every 5 rounds or so to grab a pinch of powder out. Adds maybe 2-3 minutes over 100 rounds

OP
Wildstreak

Wildstreak

Lil-Rokslider
Mine was garbage too. Bought a Matchmaster. MUCH better.
I load in large quantities as well. Throw all powder, then seat. I guess it just doesn't bother me that much. Few seconds every 5 rounds or so to grab a pinch of powder out. Adds maybe 2-3 minutes over 100 rounds
I’m not doing it every 5 rounds or so. Mine might throw 10 on the money then the next 30 are overcharged. That gets old after a while.

I have a CM lite. Its not great by any means. Trx-925 on sale for $300 right now. Not sure if they are worth it but I'm going to try one. Leave charges .2 short and trickle up to wanted charge while waiting for my wonderful CM lite. The trx looks like it is setup for a dispenser when they make it that far. I'm sure its no fx120i.

ID_Matt

WKR
1500 and it’s every powder. I load N560, H4350, H1000, RL22, IMR 4831, IMR 4350. It’s not consistent with any of them.
If it's a 1500 you can go in and adjust the settings a bit. .4 grains is quite a bit to be over charging. When mine overcharges it is usually just .1 - which is just a few kernels that probably stuck together and came out at once when trickling. Maybe try slowing it down a few tenths of a grain earlier in your settings. Start the trickling earlier.

BjornF16

WKR
Made some reloads with my Autotrickler V3. I have it setup in my home office and only throw charges (not performing any other load functions during powder throw).

Took the charged cases to the garage for bullet seating.

Walked back into my office and freaked at my FX-120 showing 0.08 grains on the scale. Stood still for a few and watched it settle down to 0.00.

Sensitive instrument...lol

Last edited:

Gingerman

Lil-Rokslider
1500 and it’s every powder. I load N560, H4350, H1000, RL22, IMR 4831, IMR 4350. It’s not consistent with any of them.
Mine will throw wonky with extruded powders 1 every 5-6. The trickle feature is what does it. I see it trying to eek another .1 into the pan but the kernels are stacked up at the end of the feeder and they kinda avalanche in. I can see it happen and know that load will be off. I guess the straw technique lessens that, but I just pinch n go.

Ball powders like AA2520 meter very accurately. I might get 1 in 100 that is only .1 off.

Go West Old Man

WKR
Classified Approved
Did a test with my not-so-liked CM Supreme about a month ago. Threw 57 total test charges at 3 different random weight groups. 19 of them failed with under-throws of .1gr or slightly more. 33% failure rate. Called RCBS, and after waiting on hold for 35 mins I spoke with a very nice CS person. Many questions asked & answered including if I’d wiped down the reservoir with a dryer sheet which I had, and was told try it again and to thoroughly wipe down entire unit inside & out, bench, & anything in close proximity. CS rep was confident that static was causing my consistent under-throw issue, & said they’d honor the 1 year warranty if I tried it he test again & the full wipe down didn’t improve the results.

sndmn11

WKR
I have the newest version of the Hornady, and have had no hiccups at all. I am surprised to hear the struggles you guys are having with RCBS.

I can speed the Hornady up with Staball and slow it down with stick powder in two button pushes. Very easy.