I have a really stupid question

PuckLuck

FNG
I grew up backpacking and fishing in the California Sierra. Given the rugged country, especially the farther back you got, staying on trails was highly advised. I'm currently planning my first deer hunt in California and everything I've read says you need to get off trail (even better if you never go to a trailhead).

Aside from a SPOT device, a hard map, and a GPS system with waypoints plotted out...is there anything I should be doing to make sure I don't get turned around in the woods and lost? I'm going to be solo hunting - and I'd really prefer to do it myself and not hire a guide (even if it is my first time). I like to learn by doing. I've never gotten lost before, but there have been a few times where I've spent a couple of hours trying to figure out where I was. Just wanted to get everyone's thoughts - especially those that hunt out west.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I would recommend downloading onX or BaseMap to your phone. That's all I use unless I need my InReach for staying in touch with friends and family.

I am one of those exceptionally fortunate people that (thus far) has never been lost. But, look back behind you often, so you recognize the forward view on your way out/back.

mhabiger

FNG
If you can hunt off some familiar trails first that might be a good starting place. Its easy to keep your wits about you until you get on some animals. Then you might find your mind singlely focused :) At least that would happen to me when I was younger and hunting unfamiliar ground. Get on some deer in thick cover and stalk them and 30 min later find myself a little disoriented.

Also only time I was ever lost I relied on a GPS to take me through a .5 mile pine bog in MN. Kept losing signal and the digital compass was worthless. Bad idea, wished I had a mechanical compass on me at the time. Sounds like you've got land nav part covered already, so should be good there.

WRM

WKR
GAIA app for nav (get PRO). They added a set of public/private layers and I may now ditch OnX as duplicative. All I really used OnX for was checking private land boundaries (and doesn't sound like you need that anyway). Otherwise, get to gettin.

And, rarely is a question about how to be safe solo hunting stupid.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Mark your starting point in your GPS and then go hunt. At the end of the day turn it on and follow it to your truck or camp. That's what I do. That's what I used to do even before GPS's as well, so I must have some sort of decent internal guidance system. Worst case scenario, head "down"......you'll eventually hit some sort of civilization or roads.

87TT

WKR
Spent a lot of time in the Sierra backpacking, hunting and fishing. Never had or needed a gps to find my back. Used the sun and the mountains a way points. That was mostly the Eastern side though. Did quite bit of turkey hunting on the west side. I used a paper map some but only when looking to see where some of those off trail lakes where. If you have a gps, you should be fine. on the east side, it is hard to get lost because of the steepness a distinctive skylines.

WRM

WKR
Do you have a smartphone? If so, you have a "free" GPS, regardless of cellular signal.

WRM

WKR
I always carry a physical compass.
Depending on visibility walking in circles can be a real problem.

If you walk in a straight line long enough you'll get somewhere eventually.

A real compass is a necessity. I've had to use one in a whiteout with a dead cell phone. Without it, would have been a not so great situation.

WCB

WKR
Biggest piece of advice I would give is PAY ATTENTION. It is unbelievable to me how many people can get lost walking, driving, hunting because the are paying zero attention to their surroundings. Also, learn how to figure direction without any of the aides you mentioned. Just being able to figure a general direction without any gadget should be #1 as I have seen compasses fail (get smashed or lost) and electronics run out of batteries.

Also, a compass and a map do you ZERO good if you don't know how to use them properly. I know a couple people who think they are fine if they get lost because the "have a map". Well if half way through the day you don't know what direction you are even facing or have been traveling and no idea where you are a map is not going to help you.

Last edited:
OP
P

PuckLuck

FNG
I would recommend downloading onX or BaseMap to your phone. That's all I use unless I need my InReach for staying in touch with friends and family.
I've been toying around with onX. Still trying to understand and harness its capabilities.
Do you have a smartphone? If so, you have a "free" GPS, regardless of cellular signal.
Can you expound on this? I've used AllTrails while hiking and there are times when it can't pinpoint my location. This usually occurs in deep canyons so it may be a signal/clear path to the sky issue.

Q child

WKR
Not a stupid question.
A lot of good advice on here. Carry a compass even if you have a GPS. Pay attention to where you are going. Check in with your landmarks often. Keep track of drainages. Study the map before you go.
I can totally forget where I am and where I am going when I get on an animal, or am in a spot that I think is really good. Also, when packing out an animal, I'll take a different route than I took to get in - I don't need to be quiet anymore and I have a bunch of additional weight. This has caused me to lose track of things before. In either case, I like to take a deep breath, think about what I can remember, figure out the next step. Climb a tree or get on top of a ridge to get back in touch with your landmarks if you need to.
Good luck and have fun.

ehuffaker

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The biggest piece of advice that I can give in regards to gps is invest in ONX hunt maps. It is a great system and the app on the phone is very good. you can mark waypoints on it and track your hike, it will show public and private land also if that is something that you are dealing with in your area.

WRM

WKR
I've been toying around with onX. Still trying to understand and harness its capabilities.

Can you expound on this? I've used AllTrails while hiking and there are times when it can't pinpoint my location. This usually occurs in deep canyons so it may be a signal/clear path to the sky issue.

All smartphones (I know of) have an internal GPS chipset. But it is limited like any GPS. So lack of clear view of skies can create an issue if sats are "hidden" to your device. It's a lot better than it was when consumer GPS first came out, but there still are limits. I carry an Inreach mini as my backup and "lifeline" due to its use of Iridium network.

And, again, I prefer GAIA to OnX since GAIA added ownership layers. That was really the only reason I had OnX. But, personal matter.

Make sure to save your GPS maps offline before venturing out of cell service! Make sure to go to airplane mode and save your battery.

I also bring a compass and use it often at night or in thicker cover -- easier to use that and get a general bearing and head that direction than it is to let your GPS orient etc...