I think I’m nock high....

OP
540-Virginian
That's what happens when you shoot a sub 500 grain arrow.

It has trouble penetrating the paper. Luckily it was only printer paper, hard it been cardboard you would need eye protection as it would have come flying back at yah.

I was trying to figure out how to tie in that one guy on YouTube (wont post his name so people who search him won’t come to this thread and start a forest fire, been dry lately). You did it well- laughed my ass off!

dkime

WKR
Oh hell I hope the ranch fairy (ans) show up.

Could sure use some entertainment.

That’s like wishing for Voldemort, we need to limit how many times we say that name lol but to be fair it looks like another 175gr of point weight would fix that tear.

Pro tip, if you own a welder just keep laying a bead on the end of your FP until 650gr is reached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s like wishing for Voldemort, we need to limit how many times we say that name lol but to be fair it looks like another 175gr of point weight would fix that tear.

Pro tip, if you own a welder just keep laying a bead on the end of your FP until 650gr is reached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
learning more and more about how different point weights affect flight

whats the hiccup with ranch fairy?

It's a bit convoluted and not all his fault. I'll admit to only seeing one or two of his videos and the personality turning me off as much as anything. It's the followers who clearly don't have much experience that really are troublesome. Turns into this extreme foc stuff. I don't find it at all practical for hunting except maybe sitting a feeder or a waterhole with maximum shots of 30 yards. It's loosely based off of some of Dr. Ashby's stuff, part of that was debunked as he was using straws and rubber bands to test his theories. Thing is for what I remember foc was like #5 or #6 on his list of things pertaining to penetration. I read all of it but it's been a number of years.

I played with some heavy arrows, I actually didn't find it to be much of a gain, but it cost me a lot in the yardage guessing game. You know, when you knew the yards but the animal moved and you don't know if it's 4 yards or 8 yards further now. You get down below 250fps and every yard matters, even on bigger animals like elk.

I mostly hate the followers who I hear claiming you need a certain weight or foc to be able to kill something. I have a lot of experience that says otherwise. And I have seen too many animals react in different ways to think you can build an arrow that is always going to penetrate thru heavy bone. There's instances where you can knock an animal off it's feet and not get penetration, because the target was already moving away from the impact, it absorbs a lot more of the impact energy, resulting in less penetration.

Come to your own conclusions on it, these are just mine.

Btaylor

WKR
It's a bit convoluted and not all his fault. I'll admit to only seeing one or two of his videos and the personality turning me off as much as anything. It's the followers who clearly don't have much experience that really are troublesome. Turns into this extreme foc stuff. I don't find it at all practical for hunting except maybe sitting a feeder or a waterhole with maximum shots of 30 yards. It's loosely based off of some of Dr. Ashby's stuff, part of that was debunked as he was using straws and rubber bands to test his theories. Thing is for what I remember foc was like #5 or #6 on his list of things pertaining to penetration. I read all of it but it's been a number of years.

I played with some heavy arrows, I actually didn't find it to be much of a gain, but it cost me a lot in the yardage guessing game. You know, when you knew the yards but the animal moved and you don't know if it's 4 yards or 8 yards further now. You get down below 250fps and every yard matters, even on bigger animals like elk.

I mostly hate the followers who I hear claiming you need a certain weight or foc to be able to kill something. I have a lot of experience that says otherwise. And I have seen too many animals react in different ways to think you can build an arrow that is always going to penetrate thru heavy bone. There's instances where you can knock an animal off it's feet and not get penetration, because the target was already moving away from the impact, it absorbs a lot more of the impact energy, resulting in less penetration.

Come to your own conclusions on it, these are just mine.
Look, just because you have killed a bunch of stuff doesnt mean you know anything about killing stuff. ;)

I say lets start this dumpster fire off with a bang.

ranchfairy, ranchfairy, ranchfairy

Dont they appear when you say their names 3 times?

We have a joke about shaking a bag of 100 grain brass inserts.....

It's the ranch fairy call.

Yesterday I was going to say Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, but didn't know if anyone would get it......

Although I figured one might.

OP
540-Virginian

For me, RF fans seem to come on the forums and ask for help or question about an arrow build, etc. They are clearly a novice archer, and the people on forums like this one are happy to help. But RF fans get conflicted when advised on an arrow build that doesn't include pouring concrete mix into the shaft or using a shovel pail as a broadhead. So, then they start citing Ashby through Ranch Fairy and standing firm in their beliefs (and then the senior RF fans join in).

I like and use to watch The Hunting Public (where most people learn of Ranch Fairy, I think). I went down the rabbit hole after watching the episode of them hanging out in Texas. I then built some heavy arrows to try for myself. I hated them; the trajectory was just terrible.

So, I asked questions on forums, got formal coaching, picked my pro shop's brain (i.e., kept an open mind) to learn what the ideal arrow is and what everyone’s thoughts were on arrow builds. What really shed light for me was this podcast with Dudley. In the end, I found myself back at shooting 340 spined arrows with 100 grs upfront. It's the better balance for me and works with my poundage and DL.

THP crew complained arrows wouldn’t penetrate for them. I wondered if the first time THP learned to tune their bows was when they went to Texas. Before that, they had some poor shots when I watched their videos (the youngest guy seemed to always hit right). They also seemed to purchase their bows from big-box retailers, so I’m not confident they got their bow properly tuned (no dissing Walmart bows, but good techs are hard to find; I don’t think it’s because they are all working at Walmart).

When THP were in Texas, they tuned their arrows to their bow. The one guy was shooting nock right, and after cutting his arrow ½” or so he had a bullet. So, they had been shooting animals with an untuned bow, which means arrow flight was poor, so they failed step two of Ashby’s priorities.

But after that visit, they lived by the "Ranch Fairy Special," heavy and high FOC arrows as they called them, assuming it was their arrows that caused poor penetration. When I personally believe it was their arrow flight, and they finally had tuned their bows.

I’m three years into shooting a bow, and the past year I really focused on doing my own tuning and getting coached on my form. What I’m learning is once your bow is tuned, your form and external variables have so many impacts on how well an arrow will fly. I prefer to tune myself, the bow, then the arrow. But I’m not RF, so I’m no self-proclaimed expert…

Edited: Adding link to podcast I referenced.