Icon or Nomad

Trr15

WKR
Ok guys, I'm torn. I recently purchased a kuiu icon 5000 on the 2013 carbon fiber frame. Got a smoking deal on it while they were on clearance. I used an icon 1850 last season as a daypack and was very pleased with it, although I didn't use it to haul meat which is what I am planning on doing with the 5000. We've all heard the concerns with the reliability of the icon frame, and I certainly don't want to be left stranded with an elk on the ground but I'm struggling with weighing that risk with the cost of a new kifaru set up. I'm definitely on the fence and I like the versatility of the nomad. Obviously reliability is a non-issue with kifaru. Im hoping you guys can sway me one way or another. Stick with the icon or sell it and take the plunge with a nomad/bikini setup? I'm looking for unbiased opinions here, not trying to start a battle between kuiu and kifaru fanboys.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Test the icon with weight and see how you like it, Also it might be hard to sell the icon. Everyone here is going to tell you to go with a kifaru bikini/nomad setup. I really like my bikini frame and love my late season.

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
I had a BT1, MR 7500 and a Icon 6000 with a 2013 frame at my disposal before I bought, tested them all with the same load and same hikes. I picked the BT1 for reasons already beat to death on this forum.

Kotaman

WKR
I've owned both, but now only own the Nomad. In fact I've owned all four generations of the KUIU packs and have yet to find one that handles a load. I like the Nomad more and more each day. The Nomad cinches up to nothing in daypack mode and will "haul the kitchen sink" with all of the options. Most versatile pack I've ever owned.

Last edited:
I really don't think you have to worry about the reliability. If you like the Icon put some weight in it and then decide if you want to keep it. I think you know the Kifaru is a better pack. Just a matter of what you are willing to pay for.

For all the crying and finger pointing, I have never really heard of anyone being "stranded" by an Icon. I love my Kifaru, but there are plenty who love and have hauled weight with the KUIU without problems. You would think by looking at Rokslide that these things are blowing up on people left and right. You have 117 days till the season starts. You are in a great position having 2 great quality packs to work with.

Load those things down and see what you think. Find someone with a Kifaru and compare them. Worst case scenario even if you get stuck with the one you dont want, you are not stranded with a bad pack.

I think sometimes we get too caught up in finding the difference between these very very high end bags and frames and forget that no matter how you slice it, they are in a class of their own and you really cannot go wrong with any of the top end packs.

Joe

Straight6

FNG
I have the 2012 Icon and I just used my Nomad for the first trip this weekend. I liked the Icon, but it was not very comfortable for me, the hip belt made me very sore on my hips after a few days with 60-70 lbs. After using the nomad this weekend, I can say I like the Kifaru frame and suspension more than the Icon. Much more comfortable for me. I love the waist belt on the bikini frame. I also feel the Nomad is a more versatile pack with better options. I don't have any worries about the Icon frame reliability, but I like the Nomad versatility and comfort better.

For all the crying and finger pointing, I have never really heard of anyone being "stranded" by an Icon. I love my Kifaru, but there are plenty who love and have hauled weight with the KUIU without problems. You would think by looking at Rokslide that these things are blowing up on people left and right. You have 117 days till the season starts. You are in a great position having 2 great quality packs to work with.

Load those things down and see what you think. Find someone with a Kifaru and compare them. Worst case scenario even if you get stuck with the one you dont want, you are not stranded with a bad pack.

I think sometimes we get too caught up in finding the difference between these very very high end bags and frames and forget that no matter how you slice it, they are in a class of their own and you really cannot go wrong with any of the top end packs.

Joe

Broken load lifter 3 miles from the truck with 80ish pounds of bear pelt. Stranded no.. But trust me it was not fun. I will say the icon is very comfortable for moderate loads and the bag itself was great. If the frame had not of failed I would still be running it and will still use it for hiking and day hunts but mentally I cannot trust it for 5 days out and it's the only pack I would have.

I think this site is a tiny part of the market but people use gear hard here. This is one of the only sites where guys really put stuff to the test. Which is why I beleive it's more prevelant here. They are also not afraid to give honest reviews. Most people would never want to admit they spent 400 bucks on something that they were very disappointed in, this site seems to be immune to that for the most part.
Icons are fine for what they are but understand they are not MR, SG or kifaru. They cannot be treated the same, and my personality will go with bomb proof stuff even at the cost of weight.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Since you already own the Icon, you might as well use the heck out of it for the next couple months and see how you like it. It may work perfectly for you.