Idaho Backcountry tent?

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I'd love to hear what you guys that hunt Idaho use for a tent. And how it sets and fits in the trees. I'd appreciate any thoughts on it.

NDarrough

FNG
I have used a big Agnes copper spur, mountain smith mtn shelter and a golite sl 5. All of them are pretty decent and for the most part you can find a spot easy enough. I haven't gotten to the northern area hunting though so my experience isn't based in that extremely thick stuff.

Nick-D

FNG
I have no idea about the terrain in idaho, but it sounds like it is relatively thickly forested. I hunt alot of thick bush here in nz and find the most versatile shelter to be a flat tarp and either bivy or bug tent. You get a heap of space and if you end up in a pinch can pitch in a deer bed or similar small flat spot where a tent would be to big.

Hammocks work well for that terrain also

KurtR

WKR
I will be using a cimaron this year. I hunted west central Idaho last year and there are plenty of spots to pitch it

OP
Historybuff

Historybuff

Lil-Rokslider
I was basically sold on seek outside redcliff until I read what Patrick Smith said about kifaru sawtooth. I'm totally confused now. I think I need the sawtooth.

Akicita

WKR
I was basically sold on seek outside redcliff until I read what Patrick Smith said about kifaru sawtooth. I'm totally confused now. I think I need the sawtooth.

Both outstanding shelters and you wouldn't go wrong with either one. . . I gave a slight nod to the Redcilff because of the extra ventilation the double doors provide in warmer weather and the foot print that allows more options for multiple parties and gear.

Master%20Suite_zpswhliu1p3.jpg

Last edited:
I run a cimmaron, Buddy has the red cliff. For north Idaho we will only take the cimmaron. Way easier to find a spot to pitch it.

I prefer a tarp in the jungles of Wa. unless I've pre scouted a good base camp. And I'm too afraid of lightening to camp on ridge tops!

kyle m

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a Silver Tip from Seek Outside. I don't have it yet but I am pretty excited to see it! I had several conversations with Dave at Seek Outside and he was extremely helpful in deciding what model to get. If you have questions, give them a call! I know this doesn't directly answer your question but I thought it might help a bit.

-Kyle

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Both outstanding shelters and you wouldn't go wrong with either one. . . I gave a slight nod to the Redcilff because of the extra ventilation the double doors provide in warmer weather and the foot print that allows more options for multiple parties and gear.

Master%20Suite_zpswhliu1p3.jpg
What pad are you running? That looks a lot more comfortable than mine.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Outdoorsman3830

Lil-Rokslider
I use the Seek Outside Redcliffe in most areas, but keep an Outdoor Research Advanced Bivy for a really steep and rugged area I like to hunt. I recommend a tipi, tarp, or hybrid shelter from Seek Outside or Kifaru (plus a stove if cold weather is expected).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk