Idaho Elk 2017

lkwoolsey

WKR
I'm looking at doing an over the counter hunt in Idaho in 2017. I'm not looking for any trophy bulls or anything (don't get me wrong, I'd love one, but that's no the main focus for this particular hunt), I just want lots of meat for the freezer. I will go however far in I need to in order to get away from the crowds. I'm mostly just looking for a nudge in the right direction. I'm starting my planning now, and hope to have a solid plan with two or three areas to check out. With my work schedule, I may get a scouting trip or two in, but that's about it. Any help or nudges would be great! Thanks!!! And Merry Christmas!

ajs04b

FNG
You might also touch base with the Elk Nut forums, the mod (Paul) is from Idaho and can give some insight, in addition to the Roksliders of course! Good luck.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Ty619

FNG
I'm planning a solo trip myself to the salmon region. 3 weeks on scene. I'm compiling very basic info right now. I'm not really asking a lot from others so my responses are pretty general. I'm more than happy to share what ive gathered thus far if salmon is your target. I'm a first year elk hunter so understand my intel may be sub par. Just throwing out I'm no pro.

norsepeak

Lil-Rokslider
Last time I hunted he Salmon River area, we only saw 5 elk in 8 days, and we are both very experienced (guides) elk hunters. The wolves have absolutely destroyed that area. When we started hunting in there, we'd see hundreds of elk each trip, now all we see is bones and wolf tracks, so we quit going in there. You might be able to find some areas that aren't ruined but I doubt it. Good luck.

OP
lkwoolsey

lkwoolsey

WKR
I haven't decided what to hunt with yet. Most likely it'll be archery or modern rifle, but I'm open to anything at this point.
I'd heard that about the Salmon area as well. I'm really not sure where I want to go at all. Just somewhere where I need to hike in far and has a few elk. I wouldn't mind some bear either.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

kicker338

WKR
If your considering the panhandle area and looking for meat, you should think about putting for an any elk, any weapon controlled hunt tag that way any elk is fair game. If you don't get draw'n you most likly can still get an otc tag as the panhandle units have not sold out in the last few yrs.

Fullfan

WKR
Last time I hunted he Salmon River area, we only saw 5 elk in 8 days, and we are both very experienced (guides) elk hunters. The wolves have absolutely destroyed that area. When we started hunting in there, we'd see hundreds of elk each trip, now all we see is bones and wolf tracks, so we quit going in there. You might be able to find some areas that aren't ruined but I doubt it. Good luck.

I have been hunting near Salmon for the past 30 years.
The wolves have crushed the elk numbers. I'm not saying there are no elk in the Zone. Last year I saw more hunters than elk. Spoke with a few hunters, both said it was their first time in the area. Stating that the Idaho fish and game had informed them both that the Salmon zone had the highest population of game in the state. I would look to other areas of Idaho if I was just getting started.

avluey

FNG
I'm moving to the Moscow area this Summer and will be starting from scratch learning a new area. I'm archery only for elk nowadays but if you end up heading towards the panhandle let me know. Elk hunting solo is no small task and I think having a partner or two makes it a heck of a lot more manageable.

OP
lkwoolsey

lkwoolsey

WKR
I'm moving to the Moscow area this Summer and will be starting from scratch learning a new area. I'm archery only for elk nowadays but if you end up heading towards the panhandle let me know. Elk hunting solo is no small task and I think having a partner or two makes it a heck of a lot more manageable.
Thanks! As of now I am planning the trip with a buddy, but if anything happens will let you know. Yeah, I've never got an elk solo, but I have had to pack out bears on my own, and they make for a heavy trip and pale in comparison to an elk load of meat.