Idaho elk

Hello all! Just posted this in the FNG section https://www.rokslide.com/forums/threads/hello-from-california.125357/

My name is Russ and I have been wanting to try and make it out to Idaho for some elk hunting. I feel like I will die before I get drawn for the tule elk hunt in my home state of California!! I have been looking at Idaho because they have the discounted Disabled American Veteran hunting license and tags. I am not asking for a honey hole or a grid coordinate of where some animals are. I just want to hear an elk bugle in the mountains at least once before the allfather punches my ticket. I don't even know where to start!!! I will be archery hunting only for now. Any information is so greatly appreciated. Also if you are looking for a partner to hunt with this season please let me know! I have met many awesome hunters in my home state and would love to meet some awesome people from another state! I don't know if this is relevant But from my home in california to twin falls idaho is only nine hours. Lastly It's crap that I even have to do this but I am definitely not one of those of stolen valor turds, if anyone needs verification that I am veteran before chatting I will gladly pm my dd-214. Once again any information on the veteran license and where I can hunt and any zone to start out in I appreciate it! Stay Safe Russ!

Thanks so much for your service. How well can you hike the hills at this time? By no means are you blocked from your hunt goals if you can't get very far from the roads. You will just want to be strategic if that's the case. In Idaho you can find just about anything. The wilderness is super crowded, so is national forest near any of the major cities and/or dirt access roads.

Rob5589

WKR
The Idaho Fish and Game website is very helpful as are their staff. Just be aware that non res elk tags went on sale back in Dec and many units are already sold out. You would have to try for a left over tag when they go on sale if wanting to hunt this season. Left over deer should be easy enough if you want to get your feet wet this year.

OP
russnutt209
Thanks so much for your service. How well can you hike the hills at this time? By no means are you blocked from your hunt goals if you can't get very far from the roads. You will just want to be strategic if that's the case. In Idaho you can find just about anything. The wilderness is super crowded, so is national forest near any of the major cities and/or dirt access roads.
I can hike pretty good. I am not a hotshot or an infantryman anymore but I can move at a decent pace. i have no problem spiking out off the beaten path for up to ten days if needed. Thank you for the information!

OP
russnutt209
The Idaho Fish and Game website is very helpful as are their staff. Just be aware that non res elk tags went on sale back in Dec and many units are already sold out. You would have to try for a left over tag when they go on sale if wanting to hunt this season. Left over deer should be easy enough if you want to get your feet wet this year.
Gah I did not know that. Ill take whatever tags are left over. Like I said I am not even concerned about taking an animal I just want to burn some leather in bonafide elk country the first few seasons until I learn the lay of the land. I honestly did not even think about a deer hunt.. Thanks for the information!

KurtR

WKR
Gah I did not know that. Ill take whatever tags are left over. Like I said I am not even concerned about taking an animal I just want to burn some leather in bonafide elk country the first few seasons until I learn the lay of the land. I honestly did not even think about a deer hunt.. Thanks for the information!

https://idfg.idaho.gov/tag/quotas-nonresident?_ga=1.229214111.222508508.1486854052

There are still over 5000 tags left for otc units so you have some time. I have only rifle hunted out there so not much help on archery but like others said the idaho gfp web site is helpfull and so are the biologist i have talked to out there.

OP
russnutt209

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
You'll have to be quick on the keyboard 12/1 this year to get one of the first come/first serve OTC capped tags. I was fortunate to get one but my hunting buddies did not. Also, since your buying the license anyway. Go ahead and apply for a controlled hunt anyway. I've drawn two good rifle elk tags in the last 4 years that way (I already had purchased the archery elk tag)!

OP
russnutt209
You'll have to be quick on the keyboard 12/1 this year to get one of the first come/first serve OTC capped tags. I was fortunate to get one but my hunting buddies did not. Also, since your buying the license anyway. Go ahead and apply for a controlled hunt anyway. I've drawn two good rifle elk tags in the last 4 years that way (I already had purchased the archery elk tag)!
Thanks for the. Info! I didn't even think about building points I was just focused on otc tags.

MikeG

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the. Info! I didn't even think about building points I was just focused on otc tags.
No points here. Yzf is saying you might as well apply for draw hunts seeing as you are already buying a license.

YZF_88

Lil-Rokslider
As Mike said, the Idaho draw is totally random. Very hard to calculate the actual odds because once a NR controlled hunt quota is met with the max number of NR's...no others get drawn. Just find a hunt you think will be fun, different and not interfere with any other plans and throw your name in the hat. Ya never know what'll happen.

Attachments

• DSC00645.JPG
    DSC00645.JPG
    571.6 KB · Views: 68

ElkNut1

WKR
I've elk hunted ID for aprox 40 years, started applying for draws here 30 years ago, to date I've drawn one Deer tag & zero Elk tags. Not good! Look & plan for an OTC hunt, if you miraculously draw a tag then plan from there. Good luck & have fun!

ElkNut/Paul

I've elk hunted ID for aprox 40 years, started applying for draws here 30 years ago, to date I've drawn one Deer tag & zero Elk tags. Not good! Look & plan for an OTC hunt, if you miraculously draw a tag then plan from there. Good luck & have fun!

ElkNut/Paul

Paul, stop putting in for 54 elk and maybe you'll draw. 😅

OP, plan on OTC like Paul said because the odds are so low.

Rob5589

WKR

ElkNut/Paul

Yikes! Funny story; talked to a guy that helped his buddy with a moose hunt in Diamond Creek (super hard draw). The guy that drew the tag got it on his third try, meanwhile their other buddy had been putting in for 25 years and was never drawn. Crazy.

ElkNut1

WKR
Rob, I know the feeling, I have a personal friend here that has drawn the unit 3 out of 10 ten years! I'm still waiting! (grin) Oh well, maybe this year! Funny thing is it's not a great unit by any stretch, it's just an OK place but I wanted to hunt it with a Rifle as well as a bow. Fingers Crossed!

ElkNut/Paul

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
You really need to pick the regs apart, but once you get it figured out the DAV tags are pretty easy. Just know...you don’t get OTC tags in any area thats not a draw, there are only certain zones that have the DAV status. Either way, a great program I am extremely grateful for. Calling F&G can answer alot of questions as well.

nphunter

WKR

ElkNut/Paul

I personally think OTC is the way to go. You can do much better in a lesser unit you learn well than a good unit you have no clue about. I want to hunt somewhere I can come back to year after year or even bring a friend or family member. You don’t really have those options with draw units.

OP
russnutt209
Hey all thank you for your responses and information! I just want to be in elk country and see what it is like. I think the DAV program is an amazing thing that Idaho does. I wish more states would do it. Also this is one of the most informative forums I have ever joined. It is refreshing actually most forums crush new guys and this community has been nothing but helpful! I appreciate it! Now its just time to train for the mountains. Thanks Russ.