Idaho lope tag question?

SDHNTR

WKR
I applied in the controlled drawing and struck out. I understand there are no landowner tags that are transferrable in ID, but what about tags that are allocated to outfitters? How exactly does this work? I've heard of some outfitters selling tags from their unsold hunts, or at least selling a tag and a hunt with minimal services. Do I have this right? Is there a way to acquire a tag through an outfitter without drawing?

johnsd16

WKR
There are not any outfitter allocated pronghorn tags that I am aware of. Deer and elk have that but I have never seen an outfitter allocation for PH.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
My limited understanding is that a % of general elk and deer tags get allocated to outfitters, but I think I’ve learned that because all PH tags are controlled they don’t have any allocated to outfitters?

johnsd16

WKR
It is kind of odd with Idaho as the general (not controlled) hunts are very different now for R vs NR so applying that to deer and elk is not straightforward. For controlled deer and elk there is a straight allocation that is printed in the regs. There is no such outfitter allocation for controlled pronghorn. All pronghorn hunts are controlled hunts in ID. Archery is unlimited quota so if you’re willing to hunt archery you can get a tag every year.

WRO

WKR
I applied in the controlled drawing and struck out. I understand there are no landowner tags that are transferrable in ID, but what about tags that are allocated to outfitters? How exactly does this work? I've heard of some outfitters selling tags from their unsold hunts, or at least selling a tag and a hunt with minimal services. Do I have this right? Is there a way to acquire a tag through an outfitter without drawing?

Go to New Mexico or Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk