Idaho McCall Zone

bstockho

FNG
I am lucky enough to be hunting the McCall Zone this fall. We have a couple of starting points picked out as best we can sitting on our butts out of state. We do not mind packing back to shed the crowds but we are also aware the country is big and thick. I’ve hunted Idaho before just not this region. We will put in the work when we arrive, but would like to know from anyone with knowledge of the area if we are on the right track or if we should start over.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Been 10 years since I hunted the McCall. It was hot dry and ugly back then. Didn’t see a reason to go back.

I am lucky enough to be hunting the McCall Zone this fall. We have a couple of starting points picked out as best we can sitting on our butts out of state. We do not mind packing back to shed the crowds but we are also aware the country is big and thick. I’ve hunted Idaho before just not this region. We will put in the work when we arrive, but would like to know from anyone with knowledge of the area if we are on the right track or if we should start over.

Rifle or archery?

OP
B

bstockho

FNG
Rifle or archery?
Rifle. I have not spent enough time in Idaho in my life. I’m here more for the experience, a small trophy would be a bonus. I have tags for everything to potentially boost success. I’ll have an RV base in McCall and will spike from there.

Rifle. I have not spent enough time in Idaho in my life. I’m here more for the experience, a small trophy would be a bonus. I have tags for everything to potentially boost success. I’ll have an RV base in McCall and will spike from there.

Feel free to PM. I’m not an expert in the zone but I’ve hunted in it a bit and nearby more.

I’d really think about whether you want to hunt here though. Either dense timber, very steep, or a zillion guys in 4 wheelers patrolling for any sign of life. Some of the lowest success rates in the state and high hunter density near roads. The elk are kept moving by wolves. You’ll work hard for elk in there.

sfc2140

FNG
I hunted McCall 2 years ago during rifle season. Weather was cold in the am warmer in the afternoon. I got snow the first two days while I was there and was dry the rest of the time. Opening day I had 4 cows come in on me about 10 yards away. Never saw another Elk again. There were tons and tons of tracks that I followed fresh scat and fresh pee, I just couldnt seem to catch up to them or catch them in the open. I would like to try that area during archery season not sure if I would do rifle again.

ndbuck09

WKR
It's arguably one of the most popular zones for folks from Boise, the largest population center in the state...

I second IdahoHikker. I picked this zone for my tag for archery season. I'm still within my first year of hunting; that said, I've found elk in 3 different places within the zone, at the cost of roughly 20 hiking trips almost every weekend since May.

Spike camping isn't worth imo, unless you know the unit exceedingly well. I learned that after 3 different hikes with a heavy pack to find 0 sign. Keep it light and mobile is A1.

I'd make a list of areas, preferably along the same road(s), and hike in early - no sign? Gtfo and move. Also be wary of shorter trails that are prone to people bringing their dogs along. While I love dogs, they blow out basins like hair salons.

Skreddy

FNG
My buddy and I are hunting Idaho this year also; archery. McCall is on our list of potentials but hear the same things as said: lots of people, wolves, not a ton of elk. Seems everyone says the same about all the OTC units. Need to make up our minds quick.

ElkNut1

WKR
McCall Zone has a 5.9% success rate from year to year! There are better places!

ElkNut/Paul

BK Ammenwerth

Lil-Rokslider
There’s def better otc units available. Several guys gave pretty accurate info. Steep, dense with lots of blowdown, LOTS of people, heavy wolf pressure, terrible harvest stats compared to many other units. Are there elk? Yes. Are they really tough unless you have really good working knowledge of the area and where the elk hole up. Yes. Roads and access gets pounded. Thinking 7 miles back? So does everyone else. Lol. If I were you I’d go back to IDFW website and look at harvest stats again and hunter pressure. McCall units has lots of hunters, poor harvest rate, and it’s some of the tougher country around minus 18,22, and central Idaho salmon river area units near the F Church.

There’s def better otc units available. Several guys gave pretty accurate info. Steep, dense with lots of blowdown, LOTS of people, heavy wolf pressure, terrible harvest stats compared to many other units. Are there elk? Yes. Are they really tough unless you have really good working knowledge of the area and where the elk hole up. Yes. Roads and access gets pounded. Thinking 7 miles back? So does everyone else. Lol. If I were you I’d go back to IDFW website and look at harvest stats again and hunter pressure. McCall units has lots of hunters, poor harvest rate, and it’s some of the tougher country around minus 18,22, and central Idaho salmon river area units near the F Church.
All that is true...but at least it's close to the bar....:p

In the McCall Zone Unit 24 has a 19% archery success rate with 45% of the harvested bulls being 6 points. That is on the high end of success rates for Idaho units.

if an Idaho unit gets better I don't know how.

HookUp, you have helpful positivity sometimes that I appreciate. It’s probably not the best here. Unit 24 is almost 50% private land. And the last two years before this one it had success rates around 11%. The numbers are more in line with Paul’s thoughts.

The McCall Zone regularly has some really weirdly low success rates. And there’s a bunch of beautiful elk country that’s void of elk which surprises you as you poke around in there. But like any place if you learn an area well that holds elk you can be consistently successful.

In today’s elk hunting world there’s no free lunch. You have to go hit the trail or you’ll just get bad advice online or good advice turned bad because a nice helpful guy told too many people good info.

In today’s elk hunting world there’s no free lunch. You have to go hit the trail or you’ll just get bad advice online or good advice turned bad because a nice helpful guy told too many people good info.

You seem like a nice helpful guy.. We’re on to you, Idahohikker.

HookUp

WKR
It looks like a nuclear bomb hit the area with the fire that's raging.