Idaho/Montana Fly Fishing

Nuch21

FNG
I’m planning a trip in early October to fly into Salt Lake City and drive north to Idaho then Montana. Looking to hire a guide in both places. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on good pull offs or short hikes to fish along the way? Any help is appreciated.

ODB

WKR
Depending on where you want to fish might try Picabo Anglers. There are based near Silver Creek but think they haul all over. Silver Creek outfitters too. They are based in Ketchum.

I’ve not used them since I live here but they come to mind right quick.

The Guide

WKR
I’m planning a trip in early October to fly into Salt Lake City and drive north to Idaho then Montana. Looking to hire a guide in both places. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions on good pull offs or short hikes to fish along the way? Any help is appreciated.
Lots of good fishing coming north from SLC into Montana. If a guided trip is your thing, check with guides in Dillon Montana. That is the start of hunting season and there isn't much pressure of the fish and they are eating big before winter.

Jay

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Without some general idea of some of the towns you’re going to be near, i could risk being pretty far off base but I think the Henry’s Fork in Idaho might be an option. I’d recommend going to West Yellowstone, Ennis or Bozeman and try to Line up a float trip on the Madison. I have been told it fishes well in the Fall for spawning browns and you can chuck some big streamers. I’m going out to try it in a few weeks for the first time. Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone has always been very helpful to me when I call for info or visit the shop in person. I imagine they would have an equally good guide service. Feel free to pm me if you want any additional info. Good luck.

Mt Al

WKR
Plenty of places to pull off and wet a fly along the Gallatin River if you drive up that direction.

Carpet Capital Shyster

Lil-Rokslider
Why waste time on the Galltin when there are so many other rivers with more and bigger fish?
Heck, the Gallatin is great for what it is. Easy to wade (if I recall, drift boat fishing is actually prohibited along most of it), the fish are honest and found exactly where you would expect them to be, and plenty of roadside access. You can easily just go make an afternoon of fishing it with very little hassle and they fish numbers are solid.

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Heck, the Gallatin is great for what it is. Easy to wade (if I recall, drift boat fishing is actually prohibited along most of it), the fish are honest and found exactly where you would expect them to be, and plenty of roadside access. You can easily just go make an afternoon of fishing it with very little hassle and they fish numbers are solid.
If easy access and fishing is the goal, then it’s great.

The October Caddis hatch is a good time about 55 miles west of Missoula. Don’t need a guide to figure er out.