Montana Fishing Trip

rpinelli

FNG
Thinking of going to Montana for a fishing trip for my bachelor party with a few buddies.

Any recommendations on places/areas to stay for good fishing? I was looking in the Ennis area, but open to any suggestions.

Just looking to go for 3-5 days and have a good time with the guys.

Check out the Madison RR (called the Madison double R). Besides fishing various sections of the Madison, they have lots of amenities, sports bar, trap shooting, rifle range nearby, and really nice private cabins. Owner is super cool, he set up a poker night for us. Worth checking it out as you look at options.

OP
R

rpinelli

FNG
I would consider hiring guides. Go where they are. Besides fly fishing, Flathead Lake guided trip could be fun.
We definitely will hire a guide for 1-2 days. Looking at going in May, I assume you would still want waders for that time of the year.

hiker270

WKR
Hire a guide and fish the Land of the Giants on the Missouri River north of Helena. I spend my summer in Ennis and have done this many times. On a good day with the right conditions its possible to catch 20 -24" Browns and Rainbows till your arms are tired from reeling them in. If your interested PM me.

Flatgo

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have preference in type of fishing? River or lake. Fly fishing for trout or fishing for more warm water species? Fort peck is probably the best fishery in Montana by a ways, but is more warm water fishery. Flathead can be fun for lake trout but the size is way down due to some netting and mac days the tribe is doing. Still good but not 20 yrs ago good. The Missouri from canyon ferry through hauser and holter can be really good. For big rainbows. If you want to target them though I’d try probably a little earlier then may. Can be hit or miss on the spawn that late. There’s a period that time where they are spawned out but still recovering, if you time it and hit the spawn it can be lights out or post spawn at end of may can be really good too once they’ve recovered. The Madison can be good, but may is also peak runoff which can affect fishing. Lots of options just need to pick what and how you want to fish

IdahoElk

WKR
Need I say more?

8NsVXML.png

mtblackdog

Lil-Rokslider
Hire a guide and fish the Land of the Giants on the Missouri River north of Helena. I spend my summer in Ennis and have done this many times. On a good day with the right conditions its possible to catch 20 -24" Browns and Rainbows till your arms are tired from reeling them in. If your interested PM me.
Im an outfitter jetboat captain On Land of the Giants. Hes right about this fishery. We have the best rainbow fishing in the state. Give me a shout I can fill you in.

OP
R

rpinelli

FNG
Do you have preference in type of fishing? River or lake. Fly fishing for trout or fishing for more warm water species? Fort peck is probably the best fishery in Montana by a ways, but is more warm water fishery. Flathead can be fun for lake trout but the size is way down due to some netting and mac days the tribe is doing. Still good but not 20 yrs ago good. The Missouri from canyon ferry through hauser and holter can be really good. For big rainbows. If you want to target them though I’d try probably a little earlier then may. Can be hit or miss on the spawn that late. There’s a period that time where they are spawned out but still recovering, if you time it and hit the spawn it can be lights out or post spawn at end of may can be really good too once they’ve recovered. The Madison can be good, but may is also peak runoff which can affect fishing. Lots of options just need to pick what and how you want to fish
River fishing

hiker270

WKR
I spend a lot of time in Montana fly fishing. Have a place to stay in Ennis. Fish the Madison, the Ruby and the Missouri mostly. Awesome fly fishing but it takes some experience to actually catch any fish. These are not stocked fish and they have seen it all. The fly shops can be a lot of help and a guided trip will give you an advantage for sure.

Wapiti406

WKR
If you guys can swing it, I would go to Idaho next month and catch steelhead. Catching a bunch of fish in Montana is cool, but having a 37" fish strip line out of your reel is something else.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Headhunters Fly Shop in Craig, MT offers everything you need for your trip. Missouri River is awesome. Craig is trout town. It’d be epic. Not sure about the timing of your trip though.

OP
R

rpinelli

FNG
Headhunters Fly Shop in Craig, MT offers everything you need for your trip. Missouri River is awesome. Craig is trout town. It’d be epic. Not sure about the timing of your trip though.
What do you suggest?

OP
R

rpinelli

FNG
If you guys can swing it, I would go to Idaho next month and catch steelhead. Catching a bunch of fish in Montana is cool, but having a 37" fish strip line out of your reel is something else.
I would be open to it, but that is a little soon for planning.