Idaho unit 67 ATV trail clarification

On go hunt insider for this unit, it says that ATVs during hunting seasons are restricted to roads that are open to full size motor vehicles. On onX maps, there are some MVUM trails that say open to vehicles of 50" wide or less year long. I can't decipher if they're open or not during hunting season. I don't have an ATV, we're just looking to get away from them this October. Being from Kansas, I'm new to the rules and regs of public lands, national forest, etc. Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Trails open to vehicles 50" or less year round are just that, open to ATV's, dirt bikes, and SXS's less than 50" wide.

Here is a great interactive map Idaho has that you can find information on specific trails. It will show you the dates its open and whats allowed to be on them. It also shows all the hike in only trails, they are red. A lot of guys think the trail they are on is closed, but would do good to check this first to be sure.

https://trails.idaho.gov/

OP
Parkercox77
Trails open to vehicles 50" or less year round are just that, open to ATV's, dirt bikes, and SXS's less than 50" wide.

Here is a great interactive map Idaho has that you can find information on specific trails. It will show you the dates its open and whats allowed to be on them. It also shows all the hike in only trails, they are red. A lot of guys think the trail they are on is closed, but would do good to check this first to be sure.

Thank you!!

IdahoHntr

WKR

This is true, but doesn't tell the whole story. As a hunting restriction some units have put in place that four wheeler only trails (trails only for vehicles 50" or less) are closed to atvs from August 30th - Decemeber 31st if they are being used for the purpose of hunting. You can still ride these trails for fun as they are open to atvs, but you can not hunt off of them. This restriction does not apply if you are using an atv to carry in and out a camp or carry out an animal. You cannot hunt from the atv while you are doing either of those activities though. I don't know why GoHunt would list unit 67 as having these rules, as it is not one of the units with these rules currently in place.

Just to reiterate, the restriction doesn't apply to 67 currently, but it does apply to some surrounding units, so I thought I would make mention of it. In my experience this rule does not stop people from illegally hunting off these trails, like was mentioned above, so keep that in consideration.

Pages 104-106 of the regs have all the info you would need on the issue. Here are a couple screenshots as well.

Attachments

• Motorized Vehicle Rules.JPG
    Motorized Vehicle Rules.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 19
  • Motorized Vehicle Rules 2.JPG
    Motorized Vehicle Rules 2.JPG
    191.6 KB · Views: 18
OP
Parkercox77
This is true, but doesn't tell the whole story. As a hunting restriction some units have put in place that four wheeler only trails (trails only for vehicles 50" or less) are closed to atvs from August 30th - Decemeber 31st if they are being used for the purpose of hunting. You can still ride these trails for fun as they are open to atvs, but you can not hunt off of them. This restriction does not apply if you are using an atv to carry in and out a camp or carry out an animal. You cannot hunt from the atv while you are doing either of those activities though. I don't know why GoHunt would list unit 67 as having these rules, as it is not one of the units with these rules currently in place.

Just to reiterate, the restriction doesn't apply to 67 currently, but it does apply to some surrounding units, so I thought I would make mention of it. In my experience this rule does not stop people from illegally hunting off these trails, like was mentioned above, so keep that in consideration.

Pages 104-106 of the regs have all the info you would need on the issue. Here are a couple screenshots as well.
Thank you, I appreciate that!

Interesting, thanks for the info, didn't realize they did that down south. I bet it is next to impossible to enforce.

Extrapale

WKR
Many of those trails are only passable by motorcycle. Talking to USFS would be a good idea.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk