Ideal clothing system for 3rd season mule deer?

Greyes

WKR
I'll be heading out to Colorado for a 3rd season mule deer hunt this year. Wondering what people are using for a clothing system. I am fairly warm blooded and am only really familiar with FirstLite clothing lines. I know late season can be variable as far as weather goes, but what are some key pieces of clothing you don't leave home without for a later mule deer hunt?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well I run cold and not very familiar with firstlite but have hunted that season often.

Where is a big factor. For example mid elevation sage county or up high thick timber. Either one can be cold and wind will cut through you.
So having insulation top and bottom. The bottoms could be a woobie type blanket, puffy pants or ski pants from target.
Spare socks and switch them at lunch. Gloves. An insulated mitten and a traditional snow glove for when you need some dexterity.
Some kind of shelter. A $10 poncho, $400 cubes fiber tarp or something in between for a wind break.
Something to cover your face.
Good gaiters, at least in the truck for a game time decision.
Ice cleats, ya new to me. Bought a $20 set for ice fishing and they are awesome when walking over snow crusted rocks.

Greyes,

A buddy and I hunted 3rd season CO this past year. We were around 6,000 - 8,000 ft elevation and did a combination of backpacking & truck camping -- 7 days worth. The temperatures ranged from 15 degrees F (at night) to ~45ish during the day.

Head:
  • Blaze orange cap; Lightweight merino facemask
  • Synthetic beanie at night
Upper Body
  • Base layer: FL Aerowool LS
  • Midlayer: FS Chama/Kiln Hoody; White Sierra Summit Down Vest -- I wore these three items hiking for 90% of the trip. Down vest was under my bino harness and pack, so it got kind of gross from the sweat towards the end of the trip. Thinking about subbing this for a FL Sawtooth Vest. The body-mapping would help out a lot here.
  • Outerwear: FL Uncompahgre Puffy Jacket
  • Rain gear: Patagonia Torrentshell - didn't end up using this. The Uncompahgre was fine in the snow.
  • Hands: Black Ovis light merino gloves, Ragwool convertible fingerless gloves -- the ragwool is kind of bulky and caught a lot of burrs from vegetation but they were super warm & great for glassing. You can pick them up online for less than $20.
Lower Body
  • Base Layer: Smartwool 250g merino
  • Pants: FL Obsidian
Feet
  • Darn tough medium wool socks
  • Lowa Ranger Boots
  • REI down booties for camp shoe & sleepwear

Last edited:

CaliforniaMuley209

Lil-Rokslider
throw in some down pants and a down jacket for long cold glassing sessions and you'll be warm and comfy for those long glassing sessions.
A good set of waterproof outer shell and layer underneath you'll be good to go!

OP
G

Greyes

WKR
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate all of the input!