Ideas for getting rid of smoker smoke smell

I found a sweet deal on a MR Pintler and the guy that owned it smoked like a train. Damn pack smelled so bad I had to put it in the back of the truck on the way home.

Tied it to the basketball goal for a week to try the sunshine and wind method and that hasn't worked. Going to have to wash it with something.

Any good ideas on on how to get that darn smoke smell out? Its fricking awful

CentralFLMike

Lil-Rokslider
You could wash it with peroxide and baking soda.

Or seal it in a tote (preferably airtight) with 40 ounces of activated carbon filter media used in aquarium filtration for a while. It can be purchased at any big-box pet store and sometimes Walmart (ugh!).
If that alone doesn't work; use it in conjunction with Atsko sport wash and Atsko No-O-Dor oxidizer spray and hang to dry.

I believe Ozone would work, but I don't know if it's compatible with the fabric or fasteners.

Last edited:

nobody

WKR
I learned this trick from a buddy who worked at a car dealership and this is what they did when they took a smoked in car in on trade. It sounds crazy, but him and his car got skunked and this solution flat worked. May be worth a shot!

Go to the store and buy as much full bean coffee as you can get your hands on. Nothing ground, nothing fancy, just the cheap generic coffee beans will work great. Now fill that backpack with the dry beans, every pocket and nook and cranny. Then, get some kind of clear box (a walmart tote works great) and put the backpack full of coffee beans into the box and cover it completely with coffee beans. You'll go through lots of coffee! Now go set that clear tote with the lid on it out where it can sit in direct sunlight. Leave it out there for a month or so, and don't open the lid at all. After about a month of it baking in the sun, go ahead and open it up and dump all the beans out of the pack. Shampoo it and air dry it. When done, it'll smell like an old town diner at breakfast time, but the coffee smell is WAY better than the cigarette smoke, and it will dissipate over time.

I know this sounds crazy, but I swear to you it works on cars. Should work on your pack too. Good luck!

stump06

WKR
If you have an ozone machine you can put it in a room or a tote with that and it'll help. My hunting room will get a little smoky after I grill sometimes and I turn on my ozone and open the closet door and the next day when I walk in I can't tell there was ever any smoke.

Wash it in some Wildlife center scent wash. It gets the Bull Elk urine smell out of my gloves when I help gut an Elk, and you know how strong that smell is.
It is designed to removed ALL odors from clothing, so you can hunt scent free.

I learned this trick from a buddy who worked at a car dealership and this is what they did when they took a smoked in car in on trade. It sounds crazy, but him and his car got skunked and this solution flat worked. May be worth a shot!

Go to the store and buy as much full bean coffee as you can get your hands on. Nothing ground, nothing fancy, just the cheap generic coffee beans will work great. Now fill that backpack with the dry beans, every pocket and nook and cranny. Then, get some kind of clear box (a walmart tote works great) and put the backpack full of coffee beans into the box and cover it completely with coffee beans. You'll go through lots of coffee! Now go set that clear tote with the lid on it out where it can sit in direct sunlight. Leave it out there for a month or so, and don't open the lid at all. After about a month of it baking in the sun, go ahead and open it up and dump all the beans out of the pack. Shampoo it and air dry it. When done, it'll smell like an old town diner at breakfast time, but the coffee smell is WAY better than the cigarette smoke, and it will dissipate over time.

I know this sounds crazy, but I swear to you it works on cars. Should work on your pack too. Good luck!

Just wondering how much coffee beans it takes to get the cigarette smoke scent out of a car.

Ten Bears

WKR
Worked in a bar for years in college back when you could smoke in them. Someone told me to stick my clothes in the freezer to get rid of the smell. Was it perfect ? no. but it put a dent in the dankness.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
As stated-an ozone machine will def take care of it. I'd put it in a large box or bin and run it for at least 6 hours. Wash in scent free soap and repeat. I used ozone machine in a car that was smoked in and it completely eliminated it.

Achigan1

Lil-Rokslider
Ozone machine is the cure - we bought a cheap spare emergency car for the family and it absolutely reeked. Three applications of ozone followed by febreeze and you simply can’t tell.
I use the thing in my hunting clothes freezer a few times a year - murders moths and other stray critters too.

Trr15

WKR
I bought a Filson bag a few years back from a guy who evidently smoked cigars inside of it, at least it smelled that way. I washed it, and then gave it a few healthy doses of Fabric Fresh spray made by The Laundress. That stuff works wonders. It took a few treatments, but the bag doesn’t have even a trace of smoke smell anymore.

scent lock use to make a carbon spray. your cloths would turn a little gray but would wash out and it killed most any smell. gotta believe it was justy some fine grounded activated charcoal.

nobody

WKR
Just wondering how much coffee beans it takes to get the cigarette smoke scent out of a car.
They just always completely covered the flat surfaces of the seats of the vehicle with one layer. No piles or anything, just covered. If it was REALLY bad, they did the same thing with the carpet, then left it parked in the sun for anywhere from 1-4 weeks. The dry beans act like sponges and soaked up the smoke scent and "baking" them in the hot sun released the coffee scent. They would then vacuum up the beans, shampoo the carpets, let everything air dry by opening the windows and parking in the sun, and then they would put 10 or 15 "new car" air fresheners in it and roll the windows up and park it in the sun for another couple days. Then, they would pull out the air fresheners, detail the car, and put it on the lot. They do this at our local Chevy and Ford dealerships, one guy owns both and they do it with lots of vehicles they take in on trade. I've driven some that had it done, and it really does a great job at getting rid of it. Kindof wild!

I picked up a few mounts after my dad had passed. The mounts had hung in house for 15+ years where they smoked..they were horrid!!! We hung them in the garage and sprayed them with odoban and it worked really well.

I understand, my wife and I bought a used car from a man who smoked, and it isn't perfect. I have never had a nicotine addiction, so I feel the smell of cigarettes very sensitively and painfully tolerate it as I immediately begin to suffocate. What was my surprise when it turned out that the last owner smoked the interior of our new car, and there is no way to return it back. Well, at least we found a special Smoke Neutralizer Spray on Amazon, and it helped us remove this unbearable smell. I wouldn't have driven in that car if we still couldn't pull this smell because it's just intolerable for me.

Last edited:

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
Buy a cheap ozone machine. Wash the bag and then put it in a container with the ozone machine and let it run for a day.

Make sure that nothing can get into the container with the ozone machine. Ozone will kill anything living if it gets trapped in there.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
My experience in driving used cars or rental cars that had been smoked in, is that the smell mostly can be taken care of, but there’s always a lingering odor that I just can’t stand. I’ve driven used cars that said “smoke free!” and had to cut the test drive short and call BS on the dealers.

I’m curious if the OP tried any of the suggestions and the results.

shtrbc

Lil-Rokslider
I had a similar situation. Used a U-haul hanging clothes cardboard moving box. Hang the stinky gear in there and run Ozonics overnight. I realize the ozone machines can break down certain material but I have never had adverse effects doing this. The most I have had to do is 3 cycles overnight. Has ALWAYS taken care of the smell. We rented a large ozone machine for our hunting bus one year that we had a mouse issue. It stunk so bad in there I wasn't going to go on the annual hunting trip that year. One overnight treatment, all was well.